How'd it go today?

I was supposed to go to the bike park this am, promised one of the neighbor kids I'd take him. I was up all night coughing, really tore my back up something fierce! I got up, took a shower and had two Lortabs for breakfast! One of the other neighbors is going so I asked him to take the kid for me so I don't have to go! I really wanted to, but no way am I going to be worth a hoot!

Welllllllllll I was gonna take down a quick little tree today before soccer.. But then my parental warning buzzers went off as we would have the kids with us. It is picture day for soccer and kids like to play in the dirt.... Momma would have my azzzzzz.
:lol:

Got the Go Ahead call from a bid for hazard tree removals from several months ago. I figured that he was going to go with another company. Going to drop a small load of firewood at a past customers' house around the corner, and look over the hazard trees, as they are both within about 2 miles of my house and 1 mile from each other. I love local work. I suggest a close to home/ shop advertising sign for businesses. Yellow pages, internet, and a lot of referral work is not as targeted. Its just great to be able to run to get something from the shop/ home for lunch and coffee/ reduced commuting costs/ etc. Probably the last minute hazard tree removals time of year for a lot of people going into fall. The close to home clients like having a local service, as well, IME. Gives them a sense of where their money is going, and if it recycles within their local community, which for me equates to the local gas station, local grocery store/ market, local fruit stand, etc.

Update on the small tree removal.... Just got a call from the customer thinking that I might stop by today and take that tree down.... They put a hold on the tree.... Seems their doggy got in trouble and is going to cost them some money.... Soooooooooooooo....... Good thing I decided against doing it this morning... (as they were not home early this morning and only had to come home because the dog. They have kids in soccer too) And good thing they called today as I was definitely going to kill that tree tomorrow... :lol:

Sitting in Bob Evans south of Harrisburg, PA right now. Been driving for around 8 or 9 hours. Another 6 or 7 ahead of us. We're going to find a place to crash soon and start again in the AM.

Started work at 5 AM today off at 1:30 .Got one more run of heating duct installed in the crawl space,one more to go .

After tommorrow perhaps old Al can retire from this tunnel rat business---until the next time .

This morning I drove across town for a job, ended up making one cut with my 200T from the ground and left with a check for my 2 hour minimum call. I felt bad for them but only a little bit. 8)

I went and helped my son unpack this morning and then went and dumped a load of chips. Just washed my pickup.

I picked up 3 100lb. feed bags full of black walnuts today. They are the tennis ball sized ones I posted about. Probably 200 lbs from one tree. The meat is huge also. I made the mistake of picking up some nuts one year without cracking some. Shriveled up nothing inside.

The Mrs volunteered my services at a local wildlife center. The guy she knows who works there told here he was going to drop the trees but figured it may be better if somebody with more experience did it.. So due to this info. I almost didnt even take my climbing gear. Got there and first off nobody there knew what trees were to be done, took over an hour of them calling around different folks to even find out what we were doing.:|: Then it was 1 dead oak, probably 80' tall with targets every-where. Everything had to be roped down and the guy that was going to do the trees wasnt even there:|: Had to call a buddy of mine to come help rope. 2nd tree was right in the middle of an avery with a roof all the way around it, tall and skinny had to rope it into another tree, how he was going to do it would have been interesting to see...

As I pointed out to Sam, because they werent paying for the service they see no value to our expertise, if they were paying $100 an hour they damned sure wouldnt have kept us waiting an hour to locate the trees:roll: Oh well gripe over....

The job is never what the person says it is, and it's always harder than they say it is.

As soon as I get coffeed up enough I'll once again resume on my chore in the crawl space . The one time in my life I wish I were 3 feet tall .

My sole exception to the 'no free work' rule is the local Audubon Society, and that has been limited to bird nesting related chores. If they ask me to do treework then I'll have to contemplate whether or not to charge them.

I woulda walked Paul, call me when you figure it out!

Got my Shop picked up a bit. Took Trevin and picked up some Am. Elm planks from a tree a month or two ago. Got the coffee shop torn apart and framed back in

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 3
Logged on today and found over 2,000 unread posts. Geez. Spent last weekend in Cincinnati. This weekend in Dallas. The Sooners won both "away" games. Yes, we are still undefeated! Next weekend is a bye week followed by an away game in Columbia, Missouri. It's gonna be really difficult to keep up with you guys during football season.

Yesterday was my weirdest 'residential' tree job yet.

Started with driving 37km's up a bush road, then hike through a two year old cut block down into this lake, where we then loaded the rigging into a row boat and rowed across the lake to where the cabins were. It fell into the category of being much harder then what was described. Usually I find people overestimate the heights/size of trees. Not this time his 50' trees were easily pushing 100' and targets(cabins/sheds/outhouses/crap) were everywhere. Felled about 25 trees and then rowed/hiked back out. One of the guys with me got a bunch of pics that he says he's gonna e-mail me so heh maybe I'll have some pics. All dead trees, I hate felling dead tree when you need the hinge for direction. All went well though.

They are actually. Lawyer's retreat. I have no idea how they even built the places or keep them stocked there's not a hope in hell it was all packed in. We arrived with keys to everything, their 'cellar' had enough booze in it to last months if a dozen people were drinking heavily everyday. Every type of 'drink' you could think of. Wild place, solar/generator, I'm guessing a floatplane must have brought most of the stuff in. Super isolated lake, when we were rowing back across it trout were damn near jumping into the boat.

Sitting in the hotel room in UMass right now. This place is sweet!8)

Looking forward to coming here in a few years. There are 5 colleges around here, 2 all female I'm told:D so it will be an awesome place! Me and Mom have been walking around and there are some nice places here, and some SWEET trees. Have a few pics I'll try to throw up later tonight.

Back