How'd it go today?

You've been talking for months about expanding your options. Glad to hear your unc isn't holding a grudge. This could work out beautifully with both of them wanting to work. You will be able to schedule double headers on days when both of them are working, plus it can free you up when necessary to take off for a couple hours to handle sales calls or other errands. Your uncle will have to adjust to being a part timer, which it sounds like that's what he wanted anyway.

Glad you caught it so quick CG, would suck to loose your house on top of all the other stuff you have going on:(

Brandon, my local bike shop has a "Swap" sale this weekend, lots of folks bring in used gear and bikes with prices on them. If they sell they get a store credit for that amount. Sometimes some good deals to be had. How much are you thinking of paying for a road bike and what size????

I have no idea how much, I know you can spend thousands but I am not pro. I just was thinking of something "decent" enough for the exercise.

I wanna say my mountain bike is 15/15.5 size, Paul. But I think it should be on something bigger.

Jay, can't ride fixed gear here, I'd die. This isn't the flat lands yo! We have some killer hills, ask Carl, Brian, Jason, or Erik.

I figured so. Maybe now's not the time to buy one then, not much of any cash hanging around. Maybe get a better deal in winter...

All my hobbies are expensive, damnit.

Hardy Board is good stuff, I used it on my shop.
They have some really nice stuff on the market . I wasn't even aware of this stuff until a few days ago being somewhat of an "old schooler "

One nice thing is the fact you can order this stuff in about any length you want .In my case they will be 9 foot which will hid the sill plate etc. with no visable seam . Cost also,these are about 1/2 what cedar plywood would be .

The gable end however which is flitche cut cedar is 200 bucks a square . I only need one square ,no big deal . 20 feet with a 4-12 pitch .

I smacked an overhead limb pretty hard this morning trying to get my truck into a back yard. Cracked all four corners on the bucket as well as one of the mounting ribs. I'm glad I saved that old spare bucket when I replaced it two years ago. It's not in great shape but it's better than this one. It will work until I find out if I can fix this one or if I have to replace it. :cry:

LPS

Installed a lightning protection system on a 40" American Basswood. Took really long because the soil was too hard to blow with the air knife. But the system came out really good-looking and taut. jaketilia.jpg That's my ground guy Jake - he was wearing chaps for grinding a stump nearby - a stump of a similiarly-sized (or bigger) Tilia that was struck by lightning and had half-rotted.

Damn Skwerl, that sucks. Hope its an easy on the wallet repair.

Had a great follow visit to the Ortho yesterday. Range of motion is great and ahead of plan. The x-rays showed that everyhting was in the proper spot and moving as it should and there was nothing in there that shouldn't be. I guess sometimes the body will react to the trauma of the surgery by laying down areas of new bone in inconvenient spots, hindering ROM. There was none of that silliness. Just need to work on my quad strength, but he said that was par for the course.

I was driving forward trying to sneak in under a low tree. I was busy watching the boom up front and neglected to pay attention to the big lead beside me. The truck fit under it but the bucket didn't.

I hope my friend Conrad can fix it. A new one is about $1300. :cry:

Willie, I swapped out the bucket but by then it was too hot to go start a job. Brutal today, 93 by noon. The guy I was going to work for had already sent his crew home anyway. We will start fresh one day next week.

Brent, I'm not buying a camera system. I'd need a half dozen cameras to cover all possible blind spots, then I'd be too busy looking at the wall of monitors instead of watching where I'm going. I'm normally quite attentive but was irritated and distracted this morning (barking yapper dog for 15 minutes straight with an oblivious owner/customer, brainless stick draggers mulling around standing directly in my way every time I turned around, having to move every single item they took out of the truck because they set it directly in my path, etc). But it's still my fault, nobody else broke anything. :roll:

I already use a liner, Al. That's the dielectric part. But I'd prefer that the bucket be solidly attached to the boom holding my ass 60' up in the air. Of course it will hold me as is if nothing else goes wrong, but I'd prefer having a 100% functional strength bucket to help protect my fat white behind in case something goes wrong (like a big limb coming down on the bucket). If you want to fly in a broken bucket and depend on the liner to keep you from falling to the ground, then you're welcome to do so. But you won't catch me up there in something like that.

I depend on my lanyard, not the bucket liner. I've operated plenty of buckets that looked just like that, lol.

Good day today. Wacked out a 5 stem Norway Maple leaning over a garage. Tight LZ, no really good overhead tie in. Used the hell out of the GRCS for once. Floated large logs away, paired with my mini porty did a few controlled swings. I was having fun. Have a nice load of straight logs brought home for easy splitting wood too. Gotta go back there next week for a Sugar Maple TD. I think I have a few pics, gotta grab the camera.

Bummer day Brian. I'd be pissed. At myself mainly, but maybe at anyone else who got in the way too.:X

I had another awesome day of willow pruning, phone is ringing off the hook. I bid a job yesterday evening that is going to be hellish. Backyard, no access whatsoever. No crane option. Carry everything out over a deck. She said that she had had a bid way lower then mine but when the guy was called to do it he had a sore shoulder and couldn't. Yahhhhhhhhh, I'm buying that. Some uninsured dufus probably who underbid it like a moron and when push comes to shove he's not even sure how he would actually get it done let alone be up to the challenge. She said he was going to haul it all away in his pick-up truck. Okey dokey then.

Sorry Boss, I'm enjoying the cheap help right now.

It's not a big tree 30'-40'. Tight drop zone, mostly have to be rigged down, maple. I'll climb it, it'll be good for me. I've actually been climbing outta the bucket a bit on these willow jobs I'm doing, makes trimming out deadwood quite a bit easier at times. But I tell ya it's still nice having the bucket.

I cut down the biggest weeping birch I've ever seen today...it had been declining hard for the past 3 seasons...no sign of the bronze birch borer however. It was a young thing too, only ~50 yrs. Three big leads each at least 18" and the stump was close to 4.' Best part was it was a drop only 8)

All td's today, easy peasy...sod laying all weekend though:what:

Back