How'd it go today?

I've never seen a weeping birch get to big myself. But I co cut down plenty of dead/dying birch, mostly all BBB though. Imo BBB is the secondary cause, climate change or whatever the freak you want to call it is stressing the birch at lower elevation is what I think.

Did some welding on my buddies pit bike this morning. Then three of use took a few hour ride on them through my trails and into a sandpit. Had fun, dusty as hell.

Apparently our down town is currently on fire, old wire building, old lumber building, and headed up towards the church/cemetery. Dry as hell out.

Currently munching some delicious ice cream and watching motocross.

No no, not me!

mediaManager
mediaManager

Went to use my chipper this am and find that the fill up I did on friday is empty arrggg! Locks only keep honest folks out! So fix the line that was cut and refuel it will be comming home from that job site from now on!

As a rule I avoid leaving equipment on jobsites except in very limited circumstances where I can trust that it is safe. In a customer's back yard in a decent area behind a closed gate, maybe. On a construction site out in the open with nobody around at night, not a chance.

Geeze that sucks. Rarely leave equipment at job site, there is really no "safe" yard anymore.

People are hungry.

My buddies garage, which is attached to his kitchen, in a "safe" neighbor hood just got broken into. Stole two new dirtbikes and 3 power tools while they slept 15-20' away.

I am at least thankful I did not start it and have to re-prime. Worked the same place off and on for two weeks. Caulk it up to a learning experiance!

I had a rental dump trailer that i left at a jobsite and the battery was stolen out of it. I had also left my forestry truck and chipper there and it is locked up pretty good, but given time they could have gotten everything. The park was closed and they had to walk about a mile to get in there.

Haven't been on for a few days due to internet problems. This could be the case for a few days more still until Insight guys can get here and look at it. So if I'm off again for a few days, its because of internet.

Had an easy weekend. Spliced some rope, cleaned up my room, did my homework. Getting psyched for Halo: Reach coming out Tuesday. For those non-gamers out here, Halo:Reach is the next installment of the Halo franchise, and going to be the biggest and best yet. Boo Ya!!8):|: I would go to the midnight release, but we have testing that day, so that sucks.

started today with a tree inspection on a decayed Castanea, followed that up by leading a walk in a local arboretum for their annual tree fest, got home and wrote up a tree report for a couple pines I looked at yesterday. Tomorrow will be a report for the tree I looked at today.
Do you think I am winding up too much with the sounding hammer? :D

Attachments

• P9120116 (Large).JPG
    P9120116 (Large).JPG
    122 KB · Views: 3
Just out of curiosity Paul how much do you charge for a report on a tree like that. In the US seems like you would be pretty much liable for the tree if you give it a clean bill of health.? Just a thinking...

PCtree, not much :/:

I charge an hourly rate for inspection time and office time to prepare the report. This one was about an hour on site (plus drive time) and will likely be an hour or so computer time.

Brent, I carry what I should insurance wise, although I will pass on sketchy inspections to others that may be better equipped and/or more experienced than I.

I was going to get an inspection on a Siberian Elm by a BCMA in Pleasanton. He estimated his fee to be between $1200 and $1500 to drive out about 40 miles each way and do a complete inspection.

TreeD. I was poking around (sounding with the mallet and using a metal rod to probe the decay) in the cavity on the interior side of the large lead, it is over a single story, often occupied office space, the property gardeners had asked an associate of mine who runs a tree company to have a look at it and offer opinion, he in turn asked me to have a look. The result will be a 3 option report (couple pages) including reduce end weight then cable/brace, reduce end weight only, remove entire limb. Its pretty decayed, we didn't drill it but we figured there is a 3-5 inch wall of sound wood for about 70% of the circumference of the limb.

Removal of the whole limb would make the tree horribly unsightly and it would remove lots of foliage so we are both leaning towards option 1 with follow up pruning to reduce expected epicormics in a couple years and thereafter.

The building on the left is unoccupied so we didn't spend much time looking at the also decayed trunks.

This morning I trimmed about 16 Washingtonian palms for a company I have not worked for before. The job went ok but they already have two strikes against them IMO. Maybe I'm just too critical. :?
They weren't able to give me a job address so they wanted to meet me at the convenience store up the road. Not my preferred method of getting to a jobsite, but whatever. Start time is 9am, I guess it's tough getting a bunch of drunks and drug addicts on the job any earlier than that. We get to the house (mansion) and I set up in the first driveway to trim the first six palms. Chipper truck shows up about 9:45 and backs in to begin cleaning up. The truck was 2/3 full and the first thing they do is pop the hood on the chipper to fix something before they can start. This is exactly why I won't work for most of these idiots. WTF is wrong that they aren't capable of showing up on the very first job of the week ready to work? What were they doing the previous two hours that was more important than making sure the truck and chipper were ready to go when they got to the job an hour late? It's not my place to say but I simply cannot work for such disorganized, unprepared people.

So I took a deep breath, finished the job, thanked them for the work and headed off to bail out another friend who had two throwballs stuck in the top of a palm tree. I showed up and flopped it without removing the throwlines or setting a rope, it was leaning into the lay. Then he had me take down another tree for him while I was there, was done in an hour.

Got a call this afternoon from a homeowner next door to an old client, small dead tree in the back yard. Went and sold it for $250, then took my buddy Mike over to see it and he will do it for me tomorrow morning for $175. I don't have to touch anything except the money. :D

Back