How'd it go today?

Cleared a little spot on one of our building lots today. I love dropping and dicing and leaving the clean-up for the excavator.

After work I finished sawing out a timber frame I've been working on for the last week. Put in over 40 hours after work in the last week. Just finished loading it on the truck at 12:30. Beat tired.

Deadwooded a bunch of trees today.

The guy I was working with brushed up against a limb with the spider lift. Directly following that the basket started to "Level" with the top almost going horizontal and dumping him out.

We found in his little limb nudge, a screw broke on one of the mercury leveling boxes and twisted and fooled the computer to now think it was level.

It was pretty interesting and he was scared shitless.

I'm glad my leveling cables are inside the boom. And my bucket is attached closer to the top lip so it wouldn't dump anyway unless you work at dumping it. Those lifts with the man basket attached at the bottom edge scare me. If something gives way, the basket will dump upside down.

The glass guy came today at 3:30, about 30 minutes after the rain started. The adhesive they use cannot be exposed to water until it cures, so we had to reschedule for tomorrow morning. My job tomorrow will have to wait. I'm not willing to drive across town with the windshield like this.

For one, it's illegal. I don't need a giant red flag on my truck saying "Hey Pig, pull me over and see what else you can find to make my life miserable!"

Is there a manual overide near the operator???

Nope. I sent him his rope and saddle and he tied into the tree and rapalled. The emergency controls are all on the ground rendering you helpless in the tree.

I put the boom over center today actually to, killed all the controls at the top and he had to once again lower me on the emergency controls. :roll:

Climbing's easier man.

There's a kill switch he could have hit.

Why didn't YOU lower the basket from the ground? :?

Gotchya! BUT, you could have leveled the basket from the ground with the manual override controls. :)

Was he tied in to the basket with a harness?

Brett,

The leveling mechanism was off it's perch, held on with one screw. The machine thought it was in it's perch, which is why it leveled the way it did. Theres no way to tilt the basket up and down from the ground, only rotate side to side.

Yes, harness.

OK. Mine must be different. I can manipulate each function independently from the ground using the override valves.

spent the day finishing things so utility was happy w/lines. trimmed apple & crimson maple while old man btchd the whole time. trimmed a couple of cherries. then, fought wasps & ground bees to get white pine trimmed.
End of day and Boss asked me what this was? I had no idea but looking.....
boy are those thorns sharp!

Attachments

• thornballs.jpg
    thornballs.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 24
Hah! I like how it takes about one minute to get a question answered on a good night around here. :D

No Chestnuts down here, but our sweet gums have balls that look similar to that. Messy trees and it hurts to step on the dried balls barefoot.

Back