How'd it go today?

I broke a limb with the boom over the cab of my truck this morning, it fell and broke the windshield. :(
But the good news is that by Florida law it's covered by my insurance with no deductible so I can get it replaced for free. I already set it up for tomorrow and it's the same glass company that replaced the side window a few months ago. Good prices and excellent service. I'll get a picture of the carnage in the morning before it gets fixed. :)

The latches came in today so I installed them, cut off the old handle, and ground it smooth.

I've also removed the extension that was double walling the chute back to the support (stupid). I cut the ends square, then used one of the drops to make a flap for my chipper since it didn't come to me with one. It's just sitting on the chute now. I'm going to use the chute at it's current length to decide if I need to make an extension for it and the flap will go on whatever becomes the new end.

Sorry the pics are fuzzy, it's hella humid here. You can see the rather large (3/8") gap on either side of the bottom of the drop out. It's sad how out of square this chute is. I'm going to run it to decide if I need to square up the opening for a better seal. For those who are wondering, the stand it's sitting on I built from scrap to work on my Rockwell axles.
DSC05990.jpg

DSC05989.jpg

It was a lovely day today, clear as a bell. I worked on the east side of the Forest today, road maintenance surveys. Here's a picture of the scenery...I've put up plenty of pictures taken from the west, south, and north sides of the mountain; this one is from the east.

Attachments

• Mt Hood and Sterling htp 003.jpg
    Mt Hood and Sterling htp 003.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 6
Here's another few, from the north, just to keep y'all happy. :)

Attachments

• Dscn1397.jpg
    Dscn1397.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 11
  • Dscn1401.jpg
    Dscn1401.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Dscn1406.jpg
    Dscn1406.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Dscn1411.jpg
    Dscn1411.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the new desktop background Burnham :)

I have been keeping pretty busy lately. Today we almost had a very serious accident, it should have never happened it was my fault. We were removing a large limb on a silver maple. I was using the GRCS to lift the log away from a garage. I used a clove hitch and tied it around 12" from the top of the log... way too damn close and I know better. The log lifts away and slips right through the knot coming within feet of Big Tim, which was the man on the GRCS. Not cool and I am very thankful for what didn't happen.

I was awaiting some nice words from Big Tim after that happened. I know I would be upset if someone had almost killed me... but he was understanding. I'm not the type to rush and try to take shortcuts and he know's that. I messed up. Day after day you have to be on your toes. Things tend to get monotonous and it is easy to stop being keen. That was an eye opener and I will not forget it. If that log landed one foot over I'd be arranging a funeral. :(

FJR, thanks for the reminder. Sounds like a humbling experience. Glad everyone is OK.
It will definitely be with me on the job tomorrow.

Got to actually get out of the bucket and climb two trees today. Put a couple apps in at other places to work to see what ind of interest I can stir up. we'll see.......

I hate clove hitches and will never ever use one to secure work ever again. Running bowline is my preferred knot and if you're worried about it slipping you wrap the work twice before tying it.

I used a clove hitch exactly once in my life for rigging down a log and I had to repair an eave on a house. That was about 20 years ago. Never again.

A clove hitch is suitable for sending up a polesaw or drink to a climber. It is not suitable for securing heavy loads IMO. It's about as secure as two wraps around the log and then whatever stopping knot you use. If you have to use a second knot to hold the first knot, then the first knot isn't much of a knot.

A known failing of the clove hitch is to want to slip. Aside from being close to the top, why use it in that application?

Sorry about the windshield Brian, free or not it had to suck!

I'm not doing much rigging of yet, so I am extra carefull when I do! Glad it all came out alright, mistakes happen for sure.

I might have neglected to mention the fact that I was working in the bucket and that I actually broke the limb that hit the windshield when I was speaking with the insurance lady. I just said that a tree limb fell and hit the windshield, she was all concerned about if I was alright.
:dontknow:

I think the advantage of a clove hitch is the rope doesn't bend very sharply. Running bowline rules I guess. My bucket has bumps and bruises all over it from stuff like that Rocky.

A known failing of the clove hitch is to want to slip. Aside from being close to the top, why use it in that application?

I use a clove hitch with two half hitches quite often, most often times on the bigger logs. Reason being (not saying it is a great one) that the running bowline can be a bit harder to untie after heavier loads. That was the first time I have ever had one slip. Most of you all have much more experience than me and I do listen wisely. I'm on my eighth year now and realize that I often have more questions than answers... so I really do listen and take in what you all have to say. If the clove hitch is bound to have more slipping problems than I will toss it and just using for hauling up gear and water like Brian said.

Glad everyone is ok.

I never put a large load on a clove. I had one roll undone somehow on a contract climbing gig, luckily it fell into the perfect LZ and I played it off.

I still use them, mostly for SMALL, or multiple limbs at once. I'd surely never pull against one with a GRCS, but you've come out unscaved and I'm sure you'll never do that again.

Today I spread topsoil with the Ramrod. Then we seeded and spread hay. Easy day.

The running bowline is about the easiest knot I know of to untie after use. On heavy stuff you can wrap the work twice before tying it, then it will have as much load on the knot as on your two half hitches stopper knots that you're using now.

A bowline is the standard knot for tying a rope around a horse's neck. Why you ask, because it is easy to untie even if loaded pretty hard.

Rain and thundrestorms all day, did a little work in the shop. Just relaxed and watched the rain. Built the hitch for the 48 Chevy.

Today sucked (check work pix thread). Got home and watched the fire bombers a couple miles from my house
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zt7I_z3K1FE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zt7I_z3K1FE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's a bit close Willie.... How's the containment going?
Sorry bout your window Brian.. Sux..
Happy everyone ok FJR....
Lovely pics Burnam... I love the sunset on the mountain :)

Rob almost got clobbered today too with no helmet... I was in a 65 foot black oak taking out mistletoe and saw a hanger (dead stub about 2 foot or so long by 4 inch dia.) cut loose I had not noticed before and hollared "HEADACHE". Hit him in the back and shoulder. He has been spacey and stressed out lately. I am getting a bit concerned. See if he'll don a helmet tomorrow on the TD we will be working on. Started it after the mistletoe today..

Windy all day, they have been dropping retardant in front of homes and even on homes. Haven't lost one yet which is a big suprise. 3 bombers and at least 3 helicopters and that is only keeping the houses from burning

Back