How'd it go today?

Road a basket on a crane this morning. Deadwooding and taking some limbs/dead tops out of some big nasty old cottonwoods. It was a fun half day.8)

Making a joke, or are you serious, Blinkster? I thought it was fairly robust aside from all the pieces it was in. :lol: The top of the lifter is still in the engine.

I asked about a price for a camshaft, just to give me something to think about while I was pulling the pan. Turns out there isn't a spare shaft in the US, so it'd take 3-5 days to get one here from Germany, i can only imagine what that'd cost. Luckily my cam is fine, although the shot of the intake lobe below looks scuffed, it isn't best I can tell. I'll have the cam out to replace the lifter.

Here's some pics of the underside. The main bolts have rought a 23mm/.9" head on them, to give you an idea of scale.
DSC05925.jpg

Here's a shot looking up the 3rd cylinder. You can see (from left to right) the exhaust, injection pump, and intake lobes. Going to be a bit of a tight squeeze getting a new lifter in there without taking out the crank, hopefully it won't come to that. Before that I'll make some dainty handed girl give it a shot.

DSC05930.jpg

I asked about a price for a camshaft, just to give me something to think about while I was pulling the pan. Turns out there isn't a spare shaft in the US, so it'd take 3-5 days to get one here from Germany, i can only imagine what that'd cost. Luckily my cam is fine, although the shot of the intake lobe below looks scuffed, it isn't best I can tell. I'll have the cam out to replace the lifter.

Carl. if it is an option, and a cam is needed, what about having the cam surface built up and re-ground. If the cam is extremely expensive, is there a shop that could do this?

I thought about that, Jay. Noone around here does that. I'm nearly positive the cam is fine though.

ETA: Hunting for a 2" wrench to take the suction hose off the main pump. The motor's gotta come out and it'd be super tough to get the pump seperated and back together in the machine.

Some times you can get a bunch of skinny magnet sticks and snatch the lifters by the top through the push rod holes and thus pull the cam .Some times you cannot . I've done it both ways .

I wonder why in the world the lifter failed,that's unusual .:?

Crane guys called out cause of rain, but we got all the ground work done today.

This rain is Craze!

Yeah, Al, I tried that. It'll pull the other 7 lifters up, but the one that broke is being a bitch. Also the bolt/thrust bearing is at the back of the engine, under the flywheel meaning the motor's gotta come out anyways.

The hypothesis I currently have is that the lifter and rocker stand both developed cracks when the piston smacked the valve the last go round. The belt broke as I was cranking, so there wasn't any speed involved per say. Anywho, after running 3ish hours, the rocker stand's cracks propagated and it failed. The lifter's cracks fairly immediately spread, dropping the smaller bits into the pan, leaving the largest chunk to run the engine. It took the 3.5-4 hours for the lifter to rotate in such a way that the lobe bound on the lifter and sheared it off.

My hypothesis is mainly regarding the lifter. As you can tell in this picture, the smaller bits all have clean edges at the edge that was the face of the lifter. The larger chunk is noticeably worn down/rounded over. That is what leads me to believe it ran in the motor for some time before the lifter failed.

I know the lifter's bits didn't fall in the pan when the belt broke, as I had the pan off at that point and they weren't in it.

Sound logical to anyone else? I don't know enough about metal grain in cast materials to read how the rocker stand broke.

The face of the lifter saw 2260 hours, you can see there is no appreciable wear.
DSC05931.jpg

The hypothesis I currently have is that the lifter and rocker stand both developed cracks when the piston smacked the valve the last go round.

Did you find a bent valve (I am not reading back)??

Having a few Deutz diesels in my day, freshen the motor.

I can't honestly say I've ever seen one fail like that .That lobe had to be coming up on the lifter at exactly the right time to shear the face off like that .

Now I've seen bent lifters on Briggs and Strattons but they aren't built nearly bullit proof as a diesel .

I suppose due to the fact it's a diesel there is no such thing as a clearance fit engine like some of the gassers .Where by you can break a chain,belt whatever and still not eat up the valve trains .

No bent valves. What do you mean by freshen, Andrew?

When we replaced the head gasket 400 hours ago we sent the head to the shop to get it checked out and serviced. The cylinders showed no wear that we could detect. The turbo's still doing fine (measured end play), and I don't imagine the bearings in the bottom end need anything. I can hear some leak down when turning the crank by hand, but I can't quantify that aside from the engine still makes great power.

Are you thinking re-ringing it orrr? I was hoping to get by without pulling the crank.

I've got the engine nearly ready to pull. The only major thing I have left is getting the suction hose and one other hose loose. Then spin the rest of the finger tight hoses off (6 others), and pull the motor mounts. I disconnected the aux pump from the main pump and it's staying in the grinder, nice and sealed.

Is it an oil cooled deutz?? if it is you might have all that metal everywhere.

If the piston hit the valve I would guess it would bend the valve before it would have cracked the rocker and lifter.

I think you might have something else going on, it seems the valvetrain problem is working its way inward.

I dunno, I could be wrong but I think your going to have problems.

John, what was your final decision on the truck? Did you get a Jasper motor, a used motor or did you replace the truck?

Easy day for me today. A few small removals over a house and some light deadwood/elevation. I was done before noon.

Beautiful day today. 65 and sunny, 5mph breeze.
sprayed hornets nest in Sugar Maple this morning and went to different location to clear out for a construction job. Came back about noon and trimmed the Maple.
Finished the day trimming some white pines.

Is it an oil cooled deutz?? if it is you might have all that metal everywhere.

If the piston hit the valve I would guess it would bend the valve before it would have cracked the rocker and lifter.

I think you might have something else going on, it seems the valvetrain problem is working its way inward.

I dunno, I could be wrong but I think your going to have problems.

Yep, oil cooled. So far I haven't found metal anywhere but the pan using a magnet to look for dust trapped in oil, although i'd bet it's in the filter pretty well. I agree that's certainly less than ideal and there's a good probability the filter and pan don't hold it all. My current plan is to get the cam out, inspect it and the lifters for any damage and go from there.

The valve bent the pushrod, and this is the third time the belt has broken in 2360 hours. They are supposed to last 3khours.:roll:

One thing I did notice is when I set the valves to Deutz spec, they were still noisey (loose) at operating temp, which isn't right. Deutz spec is .3mm/.5mm which is .012"/.020". I've wondered if that could be the problem, but the fact that it's been on the intake of cyl 4 makes me question that since it was involved in the last crash.

I'm sure open to any advice :)

Whole Cypress tree picks with the 70 ton crane, all terrain.

He drove it from Hunter's Point all the way to the Presidio.
Less than 7 miles in an hour and a half. 11.5 feet wide.

Picks were 7k, 8.5k, 11k, 8k and 5.5k
I was usually within 500 lbs guessing.

Fun day, only 30 more trees in that site.

Today was great!!! After school my climbing guy(Mike) came over for dinner and an interview. We worked out a deal so every Friday we're going to bring him in and get a feel for it all. He's going to hike the Appalachian Trail in a few months, so this arrangement should work great. Plus, he's going to pull me in on some of his side jobs on Saturdays as a climber/ground guy. I'll be covered by our liability and health insurance, so it should work great, especially since Dad doesn't work too many weekends, so it'll give me a chance to earn some cash get more experience from another experienced climber.

Blew off work(way past time) and took Cathy to the State Fair. Had a good time. One of the shows in this years fair is a Stihl Timbersports demonstration. Good little show. The younger guy hurt himself winning the speed climb-he shook it off and came out for the log rolling and banged himself up some more but I know he was hurting.
Did Endless Shrimp at Red Lobster-now I'm hurting. Haha.

I took a couple of limbs off a oak tree this morning and removed a couple of palms this afternoon. Then a couple of bids. Good job Justin. LJ I think you're going to have to disassemble and inspect the whole valve train.

TD'd 3 Cedar, one pondo and triimed out dead on a pondo today and did some clean up... Friggen tired.
Got a late start because a Sheriff pointed out to me Sat. that my tags were expired (7/31:|: ) So I went by DMV ... Did not make the job site till 10:30 after they doubled my registration fees. Nuttin compared to you guys though.

Customer was happy... Paid.. Putting her in schedule to burn the debris.

Cousin Russ might want to invest into a water truck and we are working some details and such. They make a lot of money during fire season :/:

Post some pics an I am off to bed :|:

Back