How'd it go today?

Looks like you came in too deep on the back cut, cutting through nearly all the fibers of the hinge. If it landed where it was supposed to, you got lucky. It could have gone anywhere depending on the lean. Did you have a pull line on it?

I'd agree. You cut nearly all the hinge off.

Might have taken the face a little deep, depends if you were trying to shift the cob or not.

If the tree was already brushed out and it was just a stem, it's common to not be able to easily pull over the stem even with less than 1/4" of hingewood. So many times the hingewood gets cut completely before the stem can be pulled over. This is especially true on younger trees such as the tree pictured above. Looks a lot like our laurel oaks, the hingewood is very hard to bend.

Thanks guys. It was only a 10ft stem. We had a pull rope in it, and it went right where I aimed the notch. The tree was also long dead, and from what I understand, dead wood doesn't hinge like live wood.

Good that you are getting the results that you want. Pulling trees is a fine art. People don't seem to have the same conception of when and how much pull is required, even after discussion about it prior to doing a job. Something gets lost during the action.

On a young, dead, 10' stem, it's pretty much an aimed snap cut.

On a related note, I just got an email from Bailey's and Jeff Jepson (The Tree Climber's Companion) has released another book titled 'To Fell a Tree'. I read a couple exerpts and it looks like a winner. :thumbup:
17379_L.jpg

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17379&catID=

Not true. Stump shot increases the bend radius of the hinge, and makes it bend easier.

Not in this case, it didn't. I can't see any evidence of bending at all. The back cut is so far above the face that it just snapped off. There was no hinge. Like Brian said, a snap cut.

Not too many dead trees hinge over, they just break when the wood gets thin enough. You really do have to put a lot more pressure on a spar than a full canopy, they just spring back.

nah, Deva is no more swineish than I...same thing here, Deva. I just got back from the doc.

She calles it viral bronchitis, gave me pills and syrup. Pills to control cough in daytime, syrup w/ codiene to control cough at night.

Nothing to do but control the symptoms and let your body heal. She has me on a heavy rest schedule, which I had not been doing for the last 10 days of illness. She said "stupid men".

:)

Bunch of sickos, don't be spreading that stuff around now.:D

Easy day today. Trimmed a parking lot for clearance, then took down two of the smallest trees I think I've ever been paid to deal with. A hawthorn and a cherry. Then took a big dead stub and a dying limb off of a nice big old Maple tree.8)

Today went well, finally got this job done as he's been waiting since April.

Took down a small Spruce and Tulip, raised his remaining spruces off the lawn, took some dead limbs out of an Oak and a Maple. One more ugly butt Kwanzan Cherry to round off the day. Got paid and a neighbor flagged us down on the way out for a bid.

Came home and cut the grass quick, now the sky just turned black and lightening.

Currently checking out clutchs, the guy claimed he put a new clutch in my truck when I bought it from him, it def. doesn't slip. It's just the fact that the clutch is either in or out, there's no real slippage on the pedal. It almost feels like the flywheel is warped or something, I don't know, but it def. works. It's just really rough to drive it with no slippage available.

I need to dump some $ into the rig anyways. A tuner/exhaust brake, diff cover, all driveline fluids, front brakes, maybe hub bearings, shocks, stupid trucks.

Just got finished. Trimmed 7 fan palms. Had to climb out of the bucket on one of them (I don't like doing that) and 4 others we had to use the plywood sheets on the lawn. HO was 92 years old.

Back