How'd it go today?

been gettin blown hard by the breeze , im no more than 50 ft from the river right in a turn,
wind was blowing there at 7 am
gonna have to try 6am
wish one of yall was in town this week as we are having a lot of fun doing a residential log, and are short on ballsy climbers, but getting by
got 1 tree, looks close to 5 ft on the stump,
dying, got to cut it in half to fit in the yard
had to bring in a hired gun, we'll go out early and see what we can pull off
the wind has me held up,
out of 16 removals we only have 3 left to deal with
but the other is hollow with huge regrowth tops
looks like we are gonna have to fall it in 1/2 thru the bank of trees we were hopin to save, but its houses on the other 2 sides
super tight fit , no room for a crane, i'll post some pics when the wife helps me
we worked 2 - 10 hr days, plus 2 hrs dt each day, maybe 1 and a half more days to go

Another rotten tree removal, another displaced bird family. Today was baby woodpeckers. I cut out the section of limb in which they were nesting and zip-tied it to a neighboring pine tree. Mama was buzzing back and forth between the pine and the oak I was removing. One of the babies kept jumping out of the nest, the last picture shows him checking out his new neighborhood.

Nice Skwerl!!!

Today is great!! I just finished up my last big assignment, a 1500-2000 word paper for English. It's great to finally have that done and over with. Now I'm looking forward to a nice climbing day Saturday. It's going to be another volunteer day at Ashland. About half a day of work, then we get the other half to do some training in their trees, which is great since they have some wicked trees!!!

This afternoon when I was leaving the barber shop, a guy standing nearby called out my name. He said "Are you Brian F---"? I said yes, and it turns out he lived down the street from me when we were kids (pre-teen). He said he never forgot a face and I was absolutely shocked that he could recognize me over 30 years later. We're talking mid 70s here, folks. Anyway, he's a carny and his brother runs a print shop a couple miles away. It was a real mind trip running into him like that.

Scanned the paper after dinner today and found it's now official. Emerald Ash Borer has been confirmed in KY. This sucks, but everyone knew it would eventually reach us. According to the paper, we have an estimated 220 million ash trees in KY, around 130 million White Ashes, and around 90 million Green Ashes.

So far it's only been confirmed in two counties, both of which aren't very far from our county.

Back