How'd it go today?

Just got back inside from messing with the chipper, and something is definitely wrong with the lower feed wheel. My guess is the motor is shot.

I ran it with the feed wheels in reverse, and to test the strength of the lower feed wheel, I took a small (1") stick and placed it against the lower feed wheel to try and stop it. It had no power. Even the smallest little chunk of wood stalls it too. :X

Any of you know how much a new hydraulic motor costs or have any other ideas?

Monkey got screwed.

I should be able to find you something for quite a bit less.

I need the model number and mfg of the existing motor. Also a measurement of the motor's bolt face (I'm betting 2 1/2" holes 4.5" apart) and what kinda shaft it has.

I'm working on upgrading my chipper's infeed dramatically, and I don't plan on paying $850 for everything.

I gave a bid this morning, $550 to remove 3 trees and $75 for the stumps. It's a long standing customer, a good price and I got the job.

After I got home I realized that 2 trees were oak (the third is a pecker pole gum) and my firewood guy lives less than 2 miles from the job. The dump is 20 something miles away which is where I was figuring to haul the wood.

I like bidding a job then finding large shortcuts like that way better than bidding a job then finding an extra set of utility lines running through the canopy.

:)

Just got back inside from messing with the chipper, and something is definitely wrong with the lower feed wheel. My guess is the motor is shot.

I ran it with the feed wheels in reverse, and to test the strength of the lower feed wheel, I took a small (1") stick and placed it against the lower feed wheel to try and stop it. It had no power. Even the smallest little chunk of wood stalls it too. :X

Any of you know how much a new hydraulic motor costs or have any other ideas?

Check the keys for the motor shaft, that is what ended up being wrong with the woodsman, it would run fine till you put something into feed. Then it would dead stop.

Been hunched over a saw all day brushing shat loads of little manzanita. Must have pain meds tonight. :P
Same program tomorrow. Rob and I cut more than an acre of manzanita you could not walk though. I'll get some pics tomorrow, I walked down the hill to the truck at the end of the day and decided not to go back up the hill with the camera.
Hey Steve? You talk to that gal up in Hunters Valley? Was that the estimate you had to do this AM?

Didn't do too much today. Cleaned my room and organized my gear, but that's about it. Tomorrow is some splicing and a ton of chainsaw cleaning and inspection, along with getting all the rigging gear together. Monday we are doing a big removal with, hopefully, a ton of speedlining.

The tree is across a 10ft wide ditch/creek and has a slight lean toward a 3 story house that sits right on the edge of the golf course that commissioned us to do this removal, along with others. We have plenty of good anchor trees on the golf course side, so it should turn out to be a fun job.

I took it easy today. I'm doing laundry and packing now. Earlier, I just chilled and watched Live and Let Die while I cleaned some of my guns(AK: filthy from surplus ammo, Mossberg: not too bad, and my 1911: will be getting detail stripped soon).

Otherwise, I looked for a scope to go on my black powder rifle, some sort of duracoat variant for the 1911 and my Smith and Wesson, and a sandblaster to strip my frames and slides with when I refinish them. I basically focused myself on guns today. :lol:

Finally got a chance to saw up the logs I had at work. I'm building a half new, half recycled timber frame shed. I got a pile of floor joists and planking out of a barn that was moved last year. Some of the joists will be reused as is, and some will be repurposed as braces or rafters.

Attachments

• timbers.jpg
    timbers.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 20
  • spareparts.JPG
    spareparts.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 59
I'll sticker the timbers, although they would probably store ok. I've got a big pile of dry ash stickers next to the reclaimed stuff. Hopefully, I won't have to buy very much to build this little shed. Probably going to buy some hand split shakes. Or get ambitious and rive out some.

It was a friend's. Chuck E Cheese's is creepy to me. The old animatronic band keeps moving even after they are done talking. One has eyes that blink on after another. Its a weird place. Sorry, no picts today.

Shot guns today. Went to a banquet this evening and ate myself silly. Butch your recent words came to mind as I was gorging myself on my 3rd helping....."You can be an old climber, and you can be a fat climber. But.........."

Check the keys for the motor shaft, that is what ended up being wrong with the woodsman, it would run fine till you put something into feed. Then it would dead stop.

+1

I had a work day at my church this morning, chipped a bunch of mistletoe and raywood ash brush into a trailer. I then had a small mistletoe cleaning on a 100 year old black walnut tree. Then I went and helped my neighbor split wood then we went fishing. I caught a couple of channel cats that are now in the fridge.

It is really interesting to me, that you guys get paid to remove mistletoe.
Here you can buy little mistletoe seed-kits and people try hard to get their fruit trees infected.
Mistletoe is really rare here, we are at or actually a bit above the northern range for it, it'll only grow on fruit trees and barely there.

Back