How'd it go today?

Same here, Tucker. I had a couple small job leads hanging when I left town 2 weeks ago and they all were ready when I got back Friday. I worked today, have jobs for Tu and Wed, a possible job for Th and I'm leaving town Friday heading to Asheville. Probably just a temporary spurt but it sure feels good to have the phone ringing right now.

2 guys and all that equipment for 125? sounds cheap enough to me justin!
closed on several days of work today. homeshow has paid for itself already8)

2 guys and all that equipment for 125? sounds cheap enough to me justin!
closed on several days of work today. homeshow has paid for itself already8)

That's what I'm thinking, I'm not going lower than that. I'm just really curious what the other guys are bidding. I'm assuming if they invited me back to bid this year they must finger I'm capable/my equipment is good enough. But last year I got squat. I just can't beleive other guys are cutting it closer than that, only have employees doing all the work and are still or think they are making money? Also the exposure at this time of year would be great timing with my big shiny signs.

Bagged another couple jobs today, repeat customer and his neighbor, sight useen just come do it and bill it.:)

I was out of school today, so it was another somewhat fun work day.

Started out by changing the chipper blades for some new ones. After that we head over with 4 guys, plus me, to finish the brush pile from hell. Took us a little over an hour to finish it out.

After that we hauled ass over to the expansive property we've been working for the past 2 weeks. She has a party coming up tonight and another tomorrow, so it was a mad dash to finish anything around the house. I ended up in about 6 pines today. Though one I didn't climb too much, since after an aerial inspection, I found a huge crack running down the two halfs of this pine. There wasn't much holding it, so I backed off right away. We pointed this out to them and we got the ok to remove it later this week. (if it falls it's not going to do any damage to anything, so we waited) Tomorrow it's back to school, but this weekend it's back to this place to finish off one entrance or residential jobs.

Why remove the pine if they're no targets and the tree's still healthy? Why not just let it be?

Just curious!

It's a big rich place. If it does fail, it could possibly damage some surrounding trees, but not much. Plus it has some major crown damage, and with a 4ft crack running down the tree, no one wants to go up and prune.

Work is thinning out in the shop, thought I'd really like to tap into some tree work for a change, so I dropped in to see a well connected friend of mine, and mentioned it. A couple hours later I get a call from some people I never heard of, a solid month's logging work has just started up today in the mountains above the next town over, do I want in? Kind of caught me by surprise, and I felt them out for a week's delay in joining, they said OK. Have to start getting up early for a change too. Cool to have friends!

First calf of 2009 born yesterday, found it all hid out today....usual for the first week or so.

'Mom' should have been culled a few years ago, but we've been behind on most everything....she's about 15 years old! This will be her last hoorah....nice little bull calf. Fine way to go out.

I've been giving her extra hay when I can sneak it to her without the others seeing it....left her today with her own mini-bale and baby nursing away.

THIS is why we do all the work the rest of the year.....it's the cash crop of course, but it's also so 'life affirming'....hard to feel bad when you're mushing on a baby calf.

(Butch, I said MUSHING.....like hugging/stroking/loving-up....not MUNCHING. Just wanted to be clear.)

Mama's home again, trying to take care of her, throwing up and cramps.
My hands hurt! Filed two 32", three 25" and six 18"chains. Takes a lot out fo a guy!

I've been here in Paducah, KY trimming out hangers for the last three days. I can probably count on one hand the number of trees I've seen here that DON'T have tons of damage. Just carnage everywhere. Crazy for me as this is my first time doing storm damage work.

Pruned two massive black oaks over houses today, have a big silver maple, two hackberries, and another oak trim for tomorrow.

Best of luck to you. There's a lot of work yet to do there, I was just not in the right mental position to try selling private work after getting lied to and jacked around on the FEMA deal.

And I suggest NOT getting a room at the 'Inn by the Lake' at exit 27.
If you need better prospects, go up to exit 42, then head north 12 miles to Princeton. There seems to be a bit more money there. ;)

Sheesh Andy, less than an hour of work and you are whining about you little sore paw.:P

High winds today. Chased a leak on the Bucket and took it downtown to lift a photographer for aerial shots of main street (trial run for the upcoming Blossom festival parade). Winds got worse (50+mph) so I went and floundered about in an orchard during the afternoon.

I took the day and explored the area. I drove into Boston and the surrounding areas. Now I'm sitting here drinking a local brew to Marlborough from Sherwood Forest Brewers, after a dinner of stuffed grape leaves, hummus, and babaganoush.

Back