How'd it go today?

I work with idiots every day - I don't let that stop me. I don't tell them much, but I try to set an example. Many times I'm the only guy with PPE.

tree-65.jpg

One handing a chainsaw? Not me.

Victor, I bet I know who you are working for.:/: I almost don't like going to the upper keys because of the underbidding they do. We just can't work that cheap and make any money. I would point out the safety issues to the guy in charge. If it is who I think it is, he knows better.

can you do well with out them? do you bid on jobs they bid on? if so you need to sell the work. often times people dont take the low bid if someone else has thoroughly explaind the job and why they will do this or that. if you do need them it doesnt hurt to mention how much money they may be leaving on the table for each job

Gigi, your right on target.

I've tried to wake them up, but money must be tight for them i think. They haven't had the bucket truck inspected for 2years. Employee work from it is nervous.

They only need me when they need a certified arborist, so I can do without them. I charge them top dollar for my service, and its been a few weeks that i e-mailed them an invoice and now i need to send out a notice.

I think its best if i walk away.

Just an example of how unsafe they work. I watched one owner climb seven feet with no rope. brace him self, then one hand a chainsaw. Looked just like MB, but no climbing line. I had to walk away, his client was right there, so me saying anything would come off bad.

Here's a pic I took using my new camera. I just played around with the settings on my computer photo program until I thought it looked cool.

By the way, the tree is an old Sycamore, around 85 to 90 ft tall, maybe a bit taller.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 5
Just finished looking at a job. Sort of an 'emergency' call, homeowner said they noticed on of their trees was broken and leaning in another. So, I looked up his address before I went out, and noticed that they had the google street view. I looked at it real quick before I left, and needless to say, I knew what I was going to look at. Look it up!

http://maps.google.com/

322 Riverview Dr. Asheville, NC 28806

Turn the camera to your right a little and you'll see it. Three locusts, middle one broken 15 ft up, leaning in the one on the left... ... I bet that thing has been up there for longer than a day. :lol:

Finally found my driveway... They just had the addy wrong:roll:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,154.54146640550888,,0,-1.351590106007087&cbll=37.535521,-119.972135&panoid=&v=1&hl=en&gl=us"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=5901+Colorado+Rd,+Mariposa,+CA+95338&sll=37.535594,-119.969845&sspn=0.025523,0.04858&g=5901+Colorado+Rd,+Mariposa,+CA+95338&ie=UTF8&ll=37.56744,-119.960232&spn=0.051046,0.09716&z=13&iwloc=cent&layer=c&cbll=37.535521,-119.972135&panoid=zFkXD4nHkZOuqPPnBekoIg&cbp=12,154.54146640550888,,0,-1.351590106007087" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Sitters hubby got sick last night/this morning. Got to spend another day with Bubba. He's getting a little canky!!!:roll:

I'm getting cabin fever!!!

I hope he gets to feeling better soon Andy..
Mine are a little stir crazy right now.... Bored mostly... Happens when I take time off from work because of weather.. Then its daddy we want time.. HAHAHA

It was toasty warm today, almost t-shirt weather. Got a chance to get in the woods and run the saw I put together. It's been a while since I've tossed that saw around. It felt good, but I've either forgotten how heavy it was, or I'm getting weaker.:/: It was a good workout, and it feels good to be beat. Clearing ash and black locust for a building site/septic field.

Gigi, your right on target.

I've tried to wake them up, but money must be tight for them i think. They haven't had the bucket truck inspected for 2years. Employee work from it is nervous.

Just an example of how unsafe they work. I watched one owner climb seven feet with no rope. brace him self, then one hand a chainsaw. Looked just like MB, but no climbing line. I had to walk away, his client was right there, so me saying anything would come off bad.

John has talked to him about bidding work so low also.

Is their unit an altec? If so, they will come down and do the inspection right on their property. I know how expensive it is to send it to West Palm and have found the mobile service works well for us.

Like I said, those boys know better, they heard the talk every Monday morning in my office.

So this morning they say wind gusts up to 50mph. I had scheduled some oak trimming with my old boss, you bet your ass we did it. At 75' up, I was moving back and forth probably 10-15 feet, I think I'm still moving in my seat right now. It was the most uncomfortable climb I think Ive ever had.

Windy here today too. Removed a bunch of standing dead pine spars, and postponed the pruning. It's a house surrounded by whitepines. Many have been topped a long time ago, so they have lots of dead. Fun cleaning them out though... It'll be, clean one, swing to the next, clean, swing to the next,... I love doing that.

The bit that I did today was nice though. Worked by myself, using the chipper winch as the pull line the direct the fall. :D

I had a good day today, cleaned up my 192T for work this weekend.

Dad's day though is a different story. We had our chipper worked on, had the alternator replaced and new gauges put in. He took it to the job, 15 minutes later, the belt that spins the drum broke. We had it looked at 2 weeks ago and they said it was ok, so that was a surprise. So we took it in, and as they were replacing the belt, they noticed a roller or something leaking oil. So they have to unbolt the front of the chipper, engine, radiator, etc, lift it off, and fix that piece.

And now Dad has me looking up used chippers to replace our current one, which is 15 years old and seems to be giving us problem after problem. We're looking at a Morbark Tornado 15 to replace our Morbark Model 17. A new chipper may be in our future!!

Back