How'd it go today?

Did some volunteer work for the wolf dog place. We got a lot of work done, and everything was great until... I was topping out a tulip tree and the wind picked up suddenly. Took the top sideways and onto a fence. It's the first fence I've ever hit, and it wouldn't have been a big deal if there weren't two wolves on the other side.

They didn't get out... but, needless to say, people got a little worked up for a bit.... They kenneled the dogs, and we all fixed the fence. It was more drama than anything else.

i was fencing also! neighbors started a chain link 3-4 years ago and then sold before finishing it. new neighbors mow once or twice a year so they wernt going to finish it. my wife got them to throw the parts they had over the fence a while back and today i spent a few hours and a couple trips to lowes for parts. about 20 minutes before i finished the neighbor came out and said "oh hey, i just saw you back here, if i knew you were out here id have helped you." it was hard but i didnt laugh till i got inside:lol:

oh yeah, i also went through some totes i hadnt been in for a few years and fount my "a tree story" disc, bogacheil spruce, and my copy of the grcs/hobbs drop test! 8)

That's funny ...
My favorite is the neighbor... "you can cut whatever brush you need to put that fence up"
Thanked him for the permission... Smiled..
Didn't bother to show him we were working on OUR SIDE of the property line.. He was obviously hoping to get some free brushing done.

... and my copy of the grcs/hobbs drop test! 8)

Is that video published online anywhere? I've never seen it, and I have a sudden hankerin' for watching cars get dropped off of things.

...and I've wanted to see it for a while.

As fences go I spent Friday clearing windthrow off a fence... I think they're gonna need a new fence, there weren't two spans of wire anywhere that didn't have a tree on it.

Seems like they'd have kenneled the animals BEFORE you started working.

Today I climbed 6 trees, the last 3 of which were storm damaged white pines. After today I have a whole new outlook on pines of any kind, which is, they suck bad. Thankfully, we had an old rope and tail on hand, so my normal set up didn't have to get all sapped up.

Tomorrow its back to school. Until next weekend and next Monday, I'm done with climbing.

Now I have to find time to get my 192T all cleaned and ready for next weekend.

Made a few more shelves in the garage, lot's of junk to stow ya know .

Spent two hours filing a race chain and still not done .Talk about a pain in the buttocks .

Tom needs an exhaust manifold for the 300 cu in Ford in his chipper .I located one in Ft Wayne Indiana which is about 70 miles away for 1/3 of what a dealer charges .

I sliced a giant pecan in half. Tons of rigging with 2 and even three bullropes used. Luckily for me it was all bucket work!

Moved the auto feed switch on the chipper, also moved the yoke lift. Woodsman has it so when you pull the feed bar forward or backward all the way and hold it the yoke will lift. It's always pissed me off. I put it on a push button next to the new auto feed button next to the infeed chute. My electrical brother helped so it all came out nice and pretty. Washed it up nice and good too.

I've got a bunch of oil to change tommorrow.

Burned an account today above the highway. Both home owners showed up so we got it all done... Steep hill and really tight burns unless I clear cut big holes in the canopy... Want to keep as many trees as we can as I had already cut a 60 foot break over a year ago. That will help keep the noise down an some privacy from the highway. Not bad for a foggy rain day :) Seriously thankful to have that job off my books for the year..
Well, until they decide to drop a bull pine on the driveway :D

I have the GRCS vs Hobbs vid on DVD, 110 megabytes, anyone that is desperate for it let me know and I will mail you a copy on CD or something. Unless Frans wants it on youtube or something I can upload it that way too I think with permission.

Did this on Saturday. We are installing screech owl habitat in Franklin Park, in the City of Boston. This was a test run. Next weekend we are doing four more with the high school kids who built the boxes as part of a program where they learn about wildlife and such (treeclimbing is part of it too, of course!) moss is the one who got me involved in this, he's the one in most of the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 47
I finally got a new camera today. A $400 camera for $280 from Circuit City. Since they're going out of business, I got it 30% off or a bit more. A Canon SD990. A sweet camera, especially since I saved $120 on it.

Thanks!! If we work this weekend I'm going to try and bring it along for some in action shots. We missed a whole bunch of good ones last weekend, so this weekend I will come prepared!!

Cool deal on the camera Ranger.. Really lookin forward to those pics :)

Landed another clearing job today. Lady will also want some mistletoe work done then some weed eating come summer :D

sounds like a cool project greg. tell us some of the details? nest face north? certain trees?

High winds today. Flew the bucket on short trees so it worked out okay.

Scheduled a team-up with Jamin on the monster cottonwoods for Thursday. I'll try to remember the camera.

sounds like a cool project greg. tell us some of the details? nest face north? certain trees?

The boxes face east to catch the early sun. I don't think the tree species is important but the spacing between nests is. The park already has a few Great horned owls, coyotes, turkeys, etc. for an urban park it has a good bit of wild life. Not bad for a space created by F.L. Olmstead to appear like it was natures doing..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Necklace

Back