How'd it go today?

R R R RAIN again. Bleh, shipped of a package this morning then attempted to change leaky o-rings in a hydraulic cylinder. It started with me smashing my finger with a ball peen hammer, and ended with hydraulic oil squirting all of my face. I didn't feel like finding a plug to plug the line so the whole system doesn't leak out, so needless to say I didn't do a damn thing.:|:

Cutting limbs off seventy something downed pines, and bucking on bad ground...hauling out the logs. Only three more days to go....:|:

Sounds brutal. I did 2 bids and ground a couple of stumps at my step daughter's house and I have two more bids to do now.

scored several things at an auction including an old tonka dozer for my boy and a real nice vice for 20 bucks!

Work went well.... Nasty ol mostly dead and often quite dead mistel toe kill live oak over a deck leaning to the deck and house...
Take down went really well in the climbing and lowering dept.. The guys on the ground did great. Not much of an LZ either so they had to clean up asap for the next drop... only had to wait on them a few times and take in some water after rigging the next drop. Even lil Seth (6 on Sun) lowered a 300 Approx # limb.
Sorry I forgot the Camera :(

I have no idea why you'd go around taking trees down for free, but yeah... I'd LOVE to know why he thinks pines damage a saw.

What a focktard.

I sent him an email.. wonder if he'll reply!

I would assume so, Dave. About the only reason I can see for doing it like that.

Just got back from a dinner dance thing put on by my IBEW local .Had a good time ,met a lot of people I hadn't seen in years and got a 35 year service pin .My how time flies .

Took out 2 oaks on the other side of the county for $700 and ground 2 stumps in Alabama tonight with my headlights. Left the house at 6:20 this morning, back home at 7pm. Wasn't too bad though, spent about 4 hours driving 115 miles or so, took an hour for lunch, and chewed the fat for an hour or two with the 2 customers.

We had to bust ass to keep from getting rained out today..
Watching over our shoulders as the clouds were coming in.
Only worked 6 hours and only in the tree for 4. One piece at a time on the ol gaffs. Happy I did not have a long day of it .. LOL

Yeah, I'm not big for working on Saturdays, but I'm going to be out of town Tues-Sunday, home for 8 days and back gone for a week or so.

Gotta get while there's some gettin to be got I reckon.

yeah .. not going anywhere here... Just have to work around weather and burn days ... I will do consults on Sun (normal day for them) and then off on Mon. I had a job lined up on Mon.. But I am waiting on a 150ft hank of rope for it ... And we might get rianed out anyway... So I will resched them and get a day off... We been going 6-7 pretty much save for rain days...

Okay, well he did reply, and here it is:
---------------------------------------

Hi Erik,

I've found that the pine tar can build up in areas of the saw where you want all parts moving freely. Recently, I had a bar tip bind up and fail. Not a big deal, but a slowdown that took time from the job at hand. I don't like seeing the tar build around the clutch, drive sprockets, and internal parts when I clean the saw after a days work. Although the tip failure was an acute problem, other built of of tar could lead to more problems in the long term.

Living here, we deal with pine daily and I have found it takes a greater toll on the saws than any other native wood.
Additionally, without a chipper, i'll cut a pine into many smaller pieces in order to move it out, versus, 18" logs for my stove. More cuts = more wear and more chains.

Basically, I'll work pine for money but I won't do it in trade. I also don't burn over 1-2% pine.

hope that answers your question. you guys surely know your trees, so if you have another point of view to share, I'd like to hear it.

Cheers,
Darren

On Nov 8, 2008, at 8:25 PM, Erik Lowell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just read your ad on CL and I just have to know why you think pine trees cause damage to saws.
>
> Erik C. Lowell,
> New England Tree Service
> www.netree.org

Back