How'd it go today?

I did a bid yesterday AM and then disced my walnuts and then started smoothing up the ground in preparation of harvest.

Thursday I went to see Jimmy Buffett It was my first time and he was great. It was a long time comming like 15 years.

Hey Steve,

Do you use wood brokers for your walnut wood?
Someone that looks for buyers of nice walnut.

Calico in Healdsburg makes gun stocks out of them.

I heard someone selling for auto interior in-lays too.

Oh, Today I did a bid in Sonoma.
Here's a picture of the Valley oak to be pruned away from the houses,
and a rad Camphor tree with some root issues.

Attachments

• redwood reforestation 08 and more 039.JPG
    redwood reforestation 08 and more 039.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 7
  • redwood reforestation 08 and more 037.JPG
    redwood reforestation 08 and more 037.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 7
  • redwood reforestation 08 and more 038.JPG
    redwood reforestation 08 and more 038.JPG
    486.6 KB · Views: 6
Went to get Dad his B-day present, a gift card from Harbor Freight (exciting I know). Went and watched Bubba at his "gym class". We have a "My Gym" here and he got signed up for every Saturday and LOVES IT!!!
Mom called, the had a trimmer come over and drop two Elms for them, but his big saw wouldn't stay running to do the stump cuts:lol: I guess he wants to buy a 441, just hasn't yet? Yeah, it was scarry. So I loaded up the 046 and 32" and went over and finished it off for them.
Don't ask me, 'cause I don't get it either:lol:

Yesterday, I ended up running one call all day :D, this gave me some time to head off and look at some saws, picked up a 192T for the truck, to go in my shtf box in the truck.

Today, I just stuck around the house, waiting the storm out.

Hey Steve,

Do you use wood brokers for your walnut wood?
Someone that looks for buyers of nice walnut.

Calico in Healdsburg makes gun stocks out of them.

I heard someone selling for auto interior in-lays too.

I have found a couple of guys around here and frankly I wouldn't leave my dog alone with them for more than a couple of minutes. And I'm not one of those guys who treats my pets as if they were my children. I seldom run into a tree that is sufficently large to be worth trying to sell and I end up making firewood out of it or taking it to the dump. If you know of someone send me their number please. I worked on my truck this morning and then went and shaped 4 holly oaks at the motel job that we have been doing for a long time. 102 this afternoon. Here are before and after pictures on the discing job in the walnuts.

Attachments

• camaro 005 (Medium).jpg
    camaro 005 (Medium).jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 5
  • camaro 008 (Medium).jpg
    camaro 008 (Medium).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 6
Steve, every get anyone coming into the orchards with a backhoe and ripping out the burls?

Well Back from vacation and it was great... One week at Bass Lake. Katy caught the fish of our trip 14 inch bass.. me nuttin in the boat...LOL... Kids had a great time. Lots of boat rides and fishing, swimming etc. Ate too much and the keg supplied just enough .. LOL. Good to be back home though and one day off to rest before work again .... Chipper motor FULLY covered under warranty!... Picked it up today and have plenty of backed up work for it. Life is good...
Went and sang some Karaoke with the relatives and had too much more beer... LOL
Start work again Mon.
Lovin life... Came home to three more jobs :)

Yesterday I did more work on the super splitter ,whew what a job that thing has turned out to be .

Today I'm going to install my new geothermal unit .

Steve, every get anyone coming into the orchards with a backhoe and ripping out the burls?

That happened about 20 miles from here a couple of years ago. I don't have any burls that I can tell in my orchard. The only large tree that I have left has a paradox rootstock.

Steve, we don't have very many English Walnut in Michigan but I recently bid a corporate job that has 3 on their property. I'm interested in harvesting the few nuts there are, maybe 2-3 bushels. My dad used to lay out Black Walnuts in our gravel driveway to remove the husks, but English are too tender for this. Any ideas ? I know your's is a production set-up, but thought you might know.

Had to work yesterday, TS hannah passed through Saturday night. Not much damage, few trees down though, enough to get in some OT before the Pats game.

Then Tom Brady got hurt:X WTF?? At least they won...

Maybe it was all that bad karma catching up with them? :)

Steve, we don't have very many English Walnut in Michigan but I recently bid a corporate job that has 3 on their property. I'm interested in harvesting the few nuts there are, maybe 2-3 bushels. My dad used to lay out Black Walnuts in our gravel driveway to remove the husks, but English are too tender for this. Any ideas ? I know your's is a production set-up, but thought you might know.

not surewhat you mean by lay them in the driveway? run them over? non commercially we wait till they drop at which point half are completly husk free and the other half peel off by hand easily. let them dry a week or 2 to lose the acidic taste

so far so good, nothing much on the books today.

This headline should be "Motorcyclist commits suicide." rather than "motorcyclist hit by train". Common sense folks, listen to it!

Ugh, it's rainy here today and about all I've accomplished is sharpening my ms 200. I should be splitting firewood.

TC....that's how my mother-in-law does her Black Walnuts. She lays them all over the driveway, and then when I drive in on the way down to the barn I make sure I aim for them. She'll then gather them up and sit with a hammer and smash them, picking out the meats.

To me they taste like licking out the bottom of a can of old varnish. yuk.

Went in to check on a tiny little spot this afternoon and they stuck a damned needle into my nose so they could take a biopsy. "Little stick", my ass.....felt like a big jab with an 18g.

I'm done for the day....I've had ice cream for dinner, everyone can fend for themselves tonight (dinner wise.) It's after five........

I don't know Gigi, I'm not too worried....she said it was more of a 'just in case' thingee.

Kindof a weird fleeting thought, though...you know...my own mortality, and all...but mainly, it JUST HURT!!!!!

I should reread the bee thread to put it in perspective!! LOL

Back