How'd it go today?

I have the day off today. First one in forever, it seems. I'm working in the back yard building a walkway from the gate to the shop, using those fake wood planks that won't rot. I had a few pieces I scavenged that I've used to start laying down the runners. Off to HD to buy the rest of the material.

I was able to buy the 5/4"x6" face boards but had to order the 2"x6" runners. They will be in tomorrow. I was originally thinking of putting the boards with the grooved side up for better wet traction, but the wood grain side isn't as slippery as I thought it would be. What do you guys think?

in our area I would think the plastic stuff would get algae and mossy pretty quick, slick as a button. Most folks here use pavers, I would imagine more costly than the stuff you are using RJS.
Dont I look stern ? :)

Attachments

• PA090006.JPG
    PA090006.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PA110015.JPG
    PA110015.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 7
ha! no, I think I was wondering what the hell my helper is doing picking up the camera when there is so much work to do, but I dont pass up too many opportunities to mug for the digi cam. :D

Attachments

• P1180955.JPG
    P1180955.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 7
I got stung in the tip of the nose by a wasp.I felt like I got punched the rest of the day. Plus it rained real hard.

After smahing m finger yesterday (yeah, the ugly one) I wasn't much in the mood for working on much today!! Hung over from Lortabs, YUCH!!!! I wont even get into what "Gilligan" has (or actually hasn't) done the last couple of days:X
I made the "I really think I want to be the boss, but may have to toake another three days off from an anxiotey attack" help me. I had to walk him through how to diagnos an electrical problem on one of the Schelling saws. Seems he is scared to death to work on them, he can't BS hos way through it. We fixed a couple of issues, then I tired of waiting fr him and went on by myself.
I left work, ate a bit, the wife called and told me the SIL was going to pick up the boy and take him swimming. Had to get all of that ready. Meanwhile one of the Schelling guys called with a question about some parts I needed. Got all that done.
Go to ORielly's, yes, I still have that DAMN Bobcat in the garage, and I want it gone!!! Whie I am there, I get called in to work:X
Get there, boy is "Gilligan" pissed!!! "Why am I even here if they are going to cal you?" I didn't have the heart to answer, and as we are not speaking anyway, it worked out.
Got back home and the idiot that had re-sealed the hydro. motor had used silicon on the O-rings!!!! BIG NO NO!!! After an hour and a half of cleaning I realized he hadn't changed the teflon seals, or the shaft O-ring. I get more parts Friday!!!!!
I'm tired!!!

We had a really good day yesterday production wise/ however. I screwed up my chipper. I was up in the bucket and had just cut a bunch of limbs from a pine we were taking down when I saw this really long limb going in the chipper and it has my new rigging rope going with it. I'm thinking to myself that the guys will catch this in just a second and then I yell "don't chip the f---ing rope" they all just looked up at me with puzzled looks on their faces while the rope goes in there. It was just chipping the rope for a second and then it went in really fast and stalled the disk. The rope is wrapped around the shaft and has pushed the disk away from that side. There is a heavy flat washer on the end of the shaft that is no longer flat and has been sucked in about a half inch or so and the fan blades are now jammed against the housing. I'm supposed to go camping this weekend so I may try and get my cousin to work on it.

Damn Steve that's a bummer. I watched from 60' up once as a rigging rope started getting sucked into the chipper, thank god the knives were brand new(as the machine) so it just chipped about 10' until my bro caught it. I don't swear while we work but that day I did.

I put my guys on an easy job yesterday afternoon. Several hours later when they had still not come back to the shop, I called to see what was up. They told me that they left my spurs on the intake of the chipper and...at that point in the discussion I am shitting myself thinking they got fed into the chipper... they drove away from the job site. The spurs fell off somewhere and they searched but could not find them. The fellow that screwed up has been with me for two seasons and yesterday was his last day. I decided not to chew him out on his last day. I still have one pair left but have ordered a replacement set already. I have been using Buckinhams forever so I decided just to stick with what works for me but I am going to try the velcro pad.

I worked on a triple top soft Maple boxed in by building and big utility.Speaking of spikes...it was real nice to be in mine,I have been doing mostly preservation trimming lately w/out spikes. I love spike and safety old school climbing!

Yesterday I climbed a 30' Pin Oak, never been pruned before and this sucker was DENSE!! It took me about an hour to get the dead out and the tree thinned.

Just finished doing overdue maintenance on the chipper. I was sanding some burrs off of it with the angle grinder and sanding disk (flapper wheel) of course it caught and jumped into my chin. Now I have a hole in my chin dammit.

Angle grinders are so dangerous

Back