How'd it go today?

played hooky today, slept in, had a nice breakfast at home with the wife and kid, drove out to see my sister and my newest nephew, came home, fiddled around a bit on the computer and now we are fixing up supper. :) work can wait.

Lost another feed wheel bearing today right near the end of a LONG job. How hard is it to use a grease gun once in a while? Sheesh!

It's funny, on a whim I haven't greased my stump grinder bearings this year or the last quarter of last. They still run roughly the same temperature, as when they are "well" greased, still have no play (will double check that tomorrow), and haven't been greased in I'm guessing 50-60 hours.

Most Of the time the grease gun is the demise of feed wheel bearings. Overgreasing usually.

Not on my Bandit 250. Atleast according to Bandit impossible to overgrease. Having come from a logging background I can say with authority grease is good. Not greasing to see how long something lasts is not a sound maintenance plan.

We normally get 180-200 hours out of a set of bearings. The type of bearing and its environment dictates how much grease it needs.

My thinking is if they crap out in another 40 hours, then I'll know. If they make it the rest of the time, I'll know. If they start getting beyond "warm to the touch," I'll know friction is increasing and start greasing them again. We used to push the better part of a tube every 10-12 hours of grinding in the cutterwheel bearings. It's not a plan to save money, it's simply to gain some knowledge. Rayco says grease the hell out of them, the people we buy them from say only moderately. Other grinders have remarked that they don't grease them. Oh, and the people I buy them from aren't trying to get me to buy more, I get them at cost :)

On an aside, I noticed today that part of the bracket where the mini's bucket's tilt cylinder attaches to the quick attach plate, that there is a crack on both sides. I'm nearly positive it'll be fine for the rest of this job until I can bring it home and fix it back up.

I pulled a blown over california pepper tree back up straight and guyed it down to three fence posts. Then went to the truck place and bought new front motor mounts for my bucket truck and went out and did a little mechanicing with my cousin and then went and cut off a broken linb in the back yard of a convelescent hospital.

Not on my Bandit 250. Atleast according to Bandit impossible to overgrease. Having come from a logging background I can say with authority grease is good. Not greasing to see how long something lasts is not a sound maintenance plan.

I've always read that you can't overgrease the drum or disk bearings.

Lost another feed wheel bearing today right near the end of a LONG job. How hard is it to use a grease gun once in a while? Sheesh!

worlds worst farmer "looks like you wore out every thing but a grease gun on that tractor" :lol:
"howd you get that dent?" "limb fell off the tractor shed" :D

had a guy fresh from hawaii stop in looking for a job, looks like pack horse!

Chase has a reputation for being brutal to their customers on stuff like that. Glad it worked out for you...

In other GOOD news, in the past 117ish days I've paid off a tad more than $8150 in debt and paid cash for a moderatly expensive pistol. I have plans to have the aformentioned number increased by 75% by mid July.

I was stupid for a while, now I'm trying to get my stuff straight :)

I've got a long row to hoe, although a substantial portion of my debt is in equipment/car/ect that gives me far more benifit than just the money I'll pay back (mini for example). I still owe less than I'm "worth" although the plan is to keep my posessions and own more of them with the bank owning less:).

My plan is to be debt free when I graduate with my BS, thus having the option to go into law school debt free. I've also started considering engineering, instead of Criminal Justice. Planning to take Cal 1 this fall to test the waters (gotta have through Cal 4).

I've got a long row to hoe, although a substantial portion of my debt is in equipment/car/ect that gives me far more benifit than just the money I'll pay back (mini for example). I still owe less than I'm "worth" although the plan is to keep my posessions and own more of them with the bank owning less:).

My plan is to be debt free when I graduate with my BS, thus having the option to go into law school debt free. I've also started considering engineering, instead of Criminal Justice. Planning to take Cal 1 this fall to test the waters (gotta have through Cal 4).

:rockhard:

do what you gotta do Carl, plan it out and nevermind the interest charges. pay the debts and leave school owing no one. You will do well in life, I betcha. :)

Today was my day off... after droppin' the kiddos off at school, I worked on the hot rod most of the day... tomorrow evening it's back to work.

Somebody has to keep planes from rubbin' paint... :)

Gary

I think the only bearing you can over grease is the pilot bearing on the PTO....rest of em, lay it on thick

The only credit card I use now is the credit/ATM card that takes the money directly out of my account. No money in acct, no workie. Those are both good fields Carl, you seem like you have aptitude for both. If you want to help build/design submarines I have an "in" at a company in Sacramento that builds remote piloted submarines like the one that explored the Titanic. They do mostly deep-sea oil field work with it.

I don't use C.C's my wife does but we've never carried a balance. I have debt, I also have three homes which have appreciated substantially, also the rental income more than pays the mortgages, and here atleast interest on investment debt is a tax deduction.

If I hadn't jumped into the debt game(in a smart way)I would never had made the substantial financial gains that I have. Debt can be used to get you ahead but you have to be smart about it.

I think debt like your's and Carl's is a way to get ahead Squisher. Debt to cover expenses that exceed your income is what is a killer.

I'm quite happy with my debt position as well. 6-7 years ago I was deep in credit card debt, paying 12%-18% interest on consumables. Today my credit card debt is gone but I have more debt than I've ever had. 2 mortgages and a bucket truck payment put me at about $160K in debt, but it's 5.49%-6.375% and the truck allows me to have a strong positive cash flow.

Easy day today. I trimmed about 20 Washingtonian palm trees at a bank and was done by 10am. Nothing else for today so I'm just hanging out.

I think the only bearing you can over grease is the pilot bearing on the PTO....rest of em, lay it on thick

good advice, just make sure the bearings are venting type...

I had to replace the clutch on a chipper because some over zealous knucklehead greased the pilot bearing every day. The entire bell housing was full of grease. Maybe a gallon of solid grease packed in there.

Well Junior and I went out to recon this frigged up 110' pine that rotted and broke at the roots and tipped into an 80' water oak right over a house. It still had some life in it, looks like a lightening strike. We were planning to take it down tomorrow.

This was a charity case cuz the owner has two kids under 3 and works for a living like the rest of us, so I bid $800 thinking it would take a day and a half getting the top out without hitting the house.

I was thinking hang the stem and either piece the top out or pull it out once the stem was down... I was NOT looking forward to separating the top... messy hangup.

So I go up to look, put a rope on it about 3/4 of the way up (right at the top of the oak). Than I went up a massive sweetgum, set a block for the rope and came down thinking we'd call it a day.

I went ahead and tensioned it with a 5:1 and decide to see if it would hang and pull the top as I cut the sections off the bottom.

...I'll be damned if it didn't come right out and swing away from the house after third section... SWEET! It's about time something went right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back