How'd it go today?

Took it easy today, bummed ankle, My guys washed the trucks and cleaned them out. Ground a stump filled in some old ones and did a few other odd things. I bid four jobs and made about a dozen phone calls.

Hoping that ankle is good to go tomorrow. Be working regardless, long bucket day. One oak and a hickory to slay and a dozen pines to lift.

Moved some sandstone slabs that Mrs Smith found for the patio extension,about a ton of them .

Put new wear plates in the double Parker gear pump I'll be using for my log splitter I've been decades at building . The large pump is around 15 gallons per minute while the small one is about 5 . Setting the volume portion to relieve at 6-700 psi and running the high pressure to 2500 with a 5 inch cylinder I should not have a problem using an 11 HP engine .

I took out two big oaks between two houses this morning. Less than 2 hours with the crane. Had two more to remove in the back yard, but the crane couldn't reach them. So I cut the stumps on the first 2 removals ALAP and drove the bucket back there. Just had to take down a wooden fence and move a big Rubbermaid shed. One of them in the back would have been easy enough to climb and strip out, but the other had been dead for a few years and had a wicked lean over two wooden fences and an aluminum shed. Got home in time for lunch and a nap.

I agree LJ, they chip real nice. Pruning them on the other hand.....

Today I was thinking if I used a mini-lift, I could do all kinds of end-weight reduction real fast. Just knock them out. But no, Frans has to climb the nasty bastards, each and every one of them.

My feet hurt.

I like chipping them now, with mini. The last one I climbed took me about 5 hours to get down. That was the biggest bradford I had ever seen. Very well taken care of though. Got to big for the ladies garden, Plus it was beside the pool. It took all of 30 minutes to chip up the 4 massive piles of limbs.

I killed 2 more palm trees and a couple of Italian cypress trees and trimmed a couple of fruitless mulberries. My Uncle has about 300 acres of river bottom that once was farmland that he sold the development rights to the Packard foundation and he lets me dump tree stuff down there. It is now a wildlife place. Three loads in my trailer today.

Very sad day in Marathon. A local musician's house burned down last night. It is a complete loss. He has been an icon for years here. Older guy, 67 or so, with many years in the music industry. He had tons of memorabilia, guitars and just years of collecting music stuff. All of it gone, not even any dry wall left on the walls. He even knew Elvis.

I am sure the community will rally around him and help him through this, but a sad day here today.

http://www.captainpips.com/rocketman.htm

A good short day today and................cirque du soleil tonight. I'm pretty psyched to see the show and all the rigging and what knots.8)

Not a terrible day, not that good of a day. Had to move one of the saws, took it out of production (for now) so no setup, just move it.
Boss bought lunch, mighty nice!!
I need to go back in on third tonight to work on one of the saws, but the weather is making look less and less like that will happen!!

12 removals, one prune........broke the steering dampener on the one ton. CMI pulley knob unthreaded itself........blazed in the HEAT:|:

I had a hectic day, lots of phone calls, cancelled jobs, confusion, etc. My first job I couldn't do because it was too far away from the fence into the back yard and I couldn't reach it. Second job they neglected to tell the customer to move the car out from under the tree so I didn't do that one either.

I was on my way home and passed a big broken limb (15"x40') partially out in the road, called my buddy Dave and he had already gotten a call from the owner and was on his way to clean it up. I helped him with that and pulled a couple more hangers out of the tree. Then we went and did another big trimming job, both of us got overheated a little. Had another call for a pine removal, partially over the primaries, but that one cancelled out before I got there.

Home at 3:30, ate three Arby's beef 'n' cheddars and promptly dozed off. Just got another call for a broken limb/ hanger that I may have to go handle, he's going to look at the job right now. Time to put my boots back on.

Back