How'd it go today?

Do you just tie the limb off to the trunk and just, in obvious terms "shock load" the sling?

Of course he does with smaller limbs and a bucket this is a easy peasy way of getting problem limbs off of a target without setting up a whole lowering system.

Also Brian has the added advantage of being able to then after they've been cut rig them onto his bucket and use it like a crane to move them to a lowering zone.

Robert! Chill out man no one means no ill will here, don't read more into something than is there. Nice pics with that crane the other day by the way.

I cleaned a bunch of trees from a water storage basin today. Used the tractor to haul the brush and wood up a little road and out of the fence. A couple of loads in the dump trailer.

I guess I should pack up and make like a tree.

Chill.

No where in my post did I mention anything about 9/16" rope, and no where in my post did I mention anything for you to tell me to "chill out bro".

It's like you ad things to posts that I think you are thinking, but the author doesn't write.

I think its, "Make like a tree and leave" too. :)

Chill.

No where in my post did I mention anything about 9/16" rope, and no where in my post did I mention anything for you to tell me to "chill out bro".

It's like you ad things to posts that I think you are thinking, but the author doesn't write.

I think its, "Make like a tree and leave" too. :)
Excellent post bro, my wife just left cause I didnt give a frigg about what she thought about us shooting 1000 rounds in honor of Andersonville. It may take me all night (if she returns) to pack up all my saw and depart the premisis, this married life may not be for me:( It is tuffer than any 200 foot tree!
You got a wife brendon? It is not easy I do not understand it.
If it does not work work, I will go to war and cut heads off in remeberance of the institution of marragie, I will carry a cold and empty life, it will be a burden I will have asked for.

Mr sir you remind me of high scale, except might scale really give a flock. Fight , fight , fight for Iran!
High scale I will never forget you bro.

Come and go they all do, some in rare instanses stand the test of time and that is the real test squish time, I am not made out for the married life, I have missed my Us Army cot. Shot of 'J' bro.

Brian, you mentioned slings in a couple of posts. How are they used? Do you just tie the limb off to the trunk and just, in obvious terms "shock load" the sling? Not dogging ya, just curious as this would be helpful in smaller scenarios when the limb is too small to rope, but still needs to be lowered carefully. Obviously you are doing it on a bigger scale since you are carried by the bucket, not tied into the tree.

I have several 5/8" rope slings that I use like giant loop runners to catch the limb when I cut it. The slings are eye spliced at each end, and I use steel screwlock carabiners on the eyes to choke the limb off to itself. Cut the limb, sling catches it. Attach a loop runner to the hanging limb, clip it to the winch, lift up enough to get slack in the sling, unhook the sling and then crane the limb to the landing zone.

Here's the carabiners I use. They have a wide opening, keyed gate so they don't snag and are small enough to minimize side loading. If someone here wants to argue the side loading issue, they can do it with somebody else because my experience has proven that side loading is not an issue for me. I'm not telling anyone else to do it this way, but it works for me.
;)

image_487.jpg

I feel like calling 911 cutting the cops head off so that 9 more may come! My wife has been gone for approximately 37 minutes and 52 seconds. It is the first time she has ever left me and I feel traumatized by it.

Here's the carabiners I use. They have a wide opening, keyed gate so they don't snag and are small enough to minimize side loading. If someone here wants to argue the side loading issue, they can do it with somebody else because my experience has proven that side loading is not an issue for me. I'm not telling anyone else to do it this way, but it works for me.
;)

image_487.jpg

Brian I use a steel tri-act when I use that technique. Of course I'm not craning the pieces out but if there's one or two problem limbs I may rig them to themselves or the main stem like that and then cut and chuck them until I can handle the piece. Of course I do all this without operating a chainsaw with one hand.:/:

Up stand the authority on marriage and the final contract, preach to us brother wise man, are you a big spender or does your wife generally l agree when your stupid?
Its a difficult thing for them to agree I suppose. Brendon it is a long held secret amongst us vet climber that shortening a tree 5 ft is all it takes this is why slings and straps are frowned upon , its such a money maker!. Do not do what Brian does makeing money will consume you and you will be blinded to what a brother really means.In 15 years I will not have the option of taking it outon the enemy or will I? I feel like lasing myself for something I am not in the mirror.

If things are bad Robert, I am sorry to hear it. You still need to respect folks here and post coherently or wait until that is possible.

Brian I use a steel tri-act when I use that technique. Of course I'm not craning the pieces out but if there's one or two problem limbs I may rig them to themselves or the main stem like that and then cut and chuck them until I can handle the piece. Of course I do all this without operating a chainsaw with one hand.:/:

I bought a couple of those Kong steel tri lock carabiners but the gate collars are plastic and there is a fairly large cutout in the steel to allow the plastic collar to clear when the gate is opened. I had one shatter on me when it got banged, and the weak spot from the cutout bothers me as well. I'll stick with the screwlocks for rigging.

I'd have to go dig mine out of the rigging bag in my truck to see what make it is but there's no plastic on it and it has a huge strength rating.

Spending money like a drunken sailor here.( Not really-only on one woman and not on booze). I bought another truck today.
Calm down. Just a pick-up. '96 F150 stakebed. $1500.
Got my signage for the bucket. Installed part of it but wrinkled up my background field decal for the driver's door.:( The more I squeegeed it the worse it seemed to be so I stopped.

Deadwooded and light end reduction on clove tree (Syzigium aromaticum) today. It's been months since doing a nice pruning/deadwooding job... felt great! Nice change up from the constant removals.

We're supposed to be helping trees right :|:

jp:D

checked the mail, two BIG checks I have been waiting on have arrived, just might have to go buy something for fun! Maybe that GPS, or take the lovely wife to supper, get one of my sisters to babysit the little curmudgeon for a couple hours...

:D

Great news! We are waiting on a big one also, that government job is finished!

I am glad to be back to work after feeling yucky for a day or two. :) TGIF!

Justin, have you tried the heat gun (or hair dryer) technique on the decal yet? We are going to need pictures of both the new truck and the new signage. :D

I bought a couple of those Kong steel tri lock carabiners but the gate collars are plastic and there is a fairly large cutout in the steel to allow the plastic collar to clear when the gate is opened. I had one shatter on me when it got banged, and the weak spot from the cutout bothers me as well. I'll stick with the screwlocks for rigging.

i had a couple of those a few years back, junk for sure. there are other kong biners i use that i love, heavy gates on them. i think the old ones were a pot metal or some such

Back