How'd it go today?

i got my state taxes back, one more week till my federal come in :D if you guys want to check on the status of your return go to irs.gov

Killed this Fir tree today. I am glad I have a recent tetanus shot as working around all those rusty cars was a hazard. This guy sells used mercedes parts.

Real tight area to work in. I had my buddy climbing because I thought it would be harder to do the ground work.

Oh, and the guy did not care if we dented some cars in the process. "Just not too much" he said.

Damn Frans, that looks like one hell of a mess to work around. Phew! No fun at all.

Finished up a little job this morning, loaded the trunks by hand and decided I still didn't like that in the slightest, nor does my bruised shoulders (skin).

Headin out now to Gary's digs, should get there around 5:45.

We finished early today which doesn't happen often. We could have finished earlier if I wasn't such a big slacker. My motivation is low right now. I want warmer weather and it doesn't seem to want to come. I have been snowed on and hailed on this week.

I'm bummed. Got a notice today to vacate the house we're renting. The place is about to be sold, so we got til June 30th to be gone. Bout time to move on anyways, since the arrival of Madison, we've outgrown a 2 bedroom. That baby needs her own room.
We looked at a nice 3 bedroom house yesterday, and I'm hoping we get it. I wanted to give the guy first and last month and security deposit right there, but they had a few more people that made appointments to see it, and they wanted to check my background and references.
Man I'm gonna miss this place though with it's 400 a month rent. The new place is more than double that.
I just hope we can get a place without having to put Drew in a different school district. It's a desirable town we're in, and there ain't a whole lot of 3 bedrooms for rent.
Couple more years and my credit score should be good enough to buy.

Gravy day, easy peasy. Topped a 90' foot cedar back to about 50' outta the bucket today that's always good for a rush(top was dead). Slayed a couple of birch clumps, cleaned up all that. Then went and dropped three cottonwoods no clean-up.

:)

picked up a storm job for tommorrow. bifurcated pine failed and took out a pole and slammed a trans former into the road. gotta go clean up the mess and take down the rest of the tree 8)

Logging out winter blowdown on a low elevation FS road today. Two big old growth to buck, and many red alders. Twice I set up multi block cable systems for my Warn 12,000 to move substantial logs. Man, I love rigging challenges! The largest was about 30 inches on the small end, 30 feet long.

Shoulda taken pics, but it was rainy and I was a slacker. Now I am tired, think I'll skip aerobics...a medicinal glass of scotch sounds pretty good right now.

I killed a big fat oak over a garden today. First time working with this particular tree company and it went well. I did manage to break one 5/8" sling catching a 15"x12'+ log. The sling was old and had a knick in it, and I had a little too much slack. The log missed the fence and landed against the base of the tree so I got lucky on that one. My next batch of slings will be 3/4".

The job was completed in about 4 hours. Everyone was happy since the guy originally estimated a full day. So I used this afternoon to take my truck up to my mechanic to find out why it was missing/ hesitating. #5 coil was bad, $100 and it runs like new. :)

I got into a major shit storm witht he boss and it trickled down because I climb trees! I am bringing grief on my brothers because they too need a job. At the treehouse spurring we now have hard hats and now were working on a comproise of spikelss climbing, the boss, a monster tree slayer is preturbed at the idea of marbars, 25 years and made million at trees is learningn to get his mind around it (spikeless climbing.) I slayed a tree that was intended for the lead climber and what a mess, I will not allow it to be political the love of my borther will see me thru the dark politics.
Now we are at 2 climbers and 5 grounds men. two 18 inch morbarks and 1 chip truck. I feel soon I will branch and become two crews. Thats two 70 tonns a day, I hope my boss can sell it.
RJS I nicked a portawraps rope and a climbing rope yesterday. Thats about 400 bucks cost to the owner to replace them. I suspect sotc has an advertising buget of 10,000 a year!

I killed a big fat oak over a garden today. First time working with this particular tree company and it went well. I did manage to break one 5/8" sling catching a 15"x12'+ log. The sling was old and had a knick in it, and I had a little too much slack. The log missed the fence and landed against the base of the tree so I got lucky on that one. My next batch of slings will be 3/4".

The job was completed in about 4 hours. Everyone was happy since the guy originally estimated a full day. So I used this afternoon to take my truck up to my mechanic to find out why it was missing/ hesitating. #5 coil was bad, $100 and it runs like new. :)

Brian, you mentioned slings in a couple of posts. How are they used? Do you just tie the limb off to the trunk and just, in obvious terms "shock load" the sling? Not dogging ya, just curious as this would be helpful in smaller scenarios when the limb is too small to rope, but still needs to be lowered carefully. Obviously you are doing it on a bigger scale since you are carried by the bucket, not tied into the tree.

Brendonv I have been rigging treees over a decade and I still hove not the gohunas to purchase a 9/16ths rope, chill out will ya!

Slayed a White Pine, White Oak, and a Scarlett Oak over a drive. Removed a large cracked from a Hickory. ground three stumps;)

Back