How'd it go today?

I don't. I also don't remember the hole, and haven't opened this yet. It isn't something that usually sells over here. I haven't had it in years, and don't remember if I like this version. I do know I like Leksands. I got this from a discount grocer that deals in distressed merchandise, so they get some interesting stuff, but it's mostly one-offs. Once stock is gone, it isn't likely to come back. It's fun shopping there cause stuff like this pops up.

Heavy winds threw some limbs around the yard. They were blocking Katy's chicken coup and rabbit barn. Had a Short break in the rain and cleaned it up. Dogs thrilled it stopped for a while chased after gophers and played in the creek. I had a nice little fire and a sandwich.
Then I made some chicken soup for dinner. I have a board meeting so I won't be able to cook dinner for later. 20240201_095248.jpg 20240201_095251.jpg 20240201_095521.jpg 20240201_095533.jpg 20240201_095545.jpg 20240201_100201.jpg

Worked on a county bridge replacement project today. Traffic was the worst of it. 55 mph zone which means 65. We made the zone extra long (with all proper signage) and flaggers. Went good on the tree part. We got way more done than projected. Might finish tomorrow as long as we don’t tear up the turf area too much. Mini don’t like mud.
At the crack doctor now

Pro flaggers I'm guessing or flaggers from your treeco?

Our guys @cory. We have a lot of guys that worked for the line clearance companies in the past and a few of us have had actual flagging training. Also every truck has a cheat sheet for road side set ups. I can’t speak for our other crews but mine does pretty well on that stuff. All these jobs usually require us to turn in a traffic plan with the bid. One thing I do the day before those jobs is call the local police and let them know we will be out there. They usually will patrol a little heavier to slow folks down. Once they even parked a dummy cruiser just before our work zone. It’s rare but I’ve had them park in our zone with lights going for us.

I recently was able to run an installer that had the same icon as some others that I hadn't been able to run, so I decided to give them a try. While I was looking for them, I found an icon I was looking for, but the name gave me pause and left me thinking how I ever ended up with this installer on my computer.

It's called iPHUCWIN32
Sounds like a bad idea to run that one.

Turns out it might be a legit program for running iTunes I had dug up when copying installation files to a new computer to get iTunes to work. Anyway, I dud get iTunes to work on the newer faster Win10 computer except it takes several minutes to complete litterally any action on iTunes. Makes no sense. All I can think of is that there's something in ITunes that detects a version of Windows it doesn't like, and sets a timer on every action to intentionally lock it up.

I recently was able to run an installer that had the same icon as some others that I hadn't been able to run, so I decided to give them a try. While I was looking for them, I found an icon I was looking for, but the name gave me pause and left me thinking how I ever ended up with this installer on my computer.

It's called iPHUCWIN32
Sounds like a bad idea to run that one.

Turns out it might be a legit program for running iTunes I had dug up when copying installation files to a new computer to get iTunes to work. Anyway, I dud get iTunes to work on the newer faster Win10 computer except it takes several minutes to complete litterally any action on iTunes. Makes no sense. All I can think of is that there's something in ITunes that detects a version of Windows it doesn't like, and sets a timer on every action to intentionally lock it up.
Mainstream softwares aren't looking to f*ck you over. They make a living off of optimizing services and connectivity. If you're struggling, it may be local to your PC.

Mainstream softwares aren't looking to f*ck you over. They make a living off of optimizing services and connectivity. If you're struggling, it may be local to your PC.
My limited research showed that other people had the same problem, and I found no solutions, but it doesn't matter since I'm running a cloned HDD now, though I have to go through an install repair each time I use it, which is very rarely now anyway.

I just thought I had accidentally downloaded malware because of the name of the program, but the iTunes issue was a separate point.

Is "norf" the way one says "north" if one is missing 2 front teeth or is it something that simply isn't in my limited vocabulary.
Now I better add 18 smilies, to make sure you know I'm joking 😉

I don't. I also don't remember the hole, and haven't opened this yet. It isn't something that usually sells over here. I haven't had it in years, and don't remember if I like this version. I do know I like Leksands. I got this from a discount grocer that deals in distressed merchandise, so they get some interesting stuff, but it's mostly one-offs. Once stock is gone, it isn't likely to come back. It's fun shopping there cause stuff like this pops up.
The traditional Swedisk knäckebröd is round with a hole in the middle.
Most of their mills were waterpowered back in the days, so they didn't run in winter, water being frozen.
So in fall they would bake knækbrød ( Danish spelling) for the whole winter.
The hole was so they could be stuck on long poles , first to be dried over the stove/oven, later for storage under the rafters, out of reach of mice, children and other vermin.

Very cool stig. I opened it last night, and it's got the hole. It also tastes good, or rather the texture is good. The one I had way back I think was too hard was what I didn't like about it. Made in Sweden. Dunno if that pinpoints the factory. There seems to be a lot of crossover with Scandinavian crackers. I guess they're owned by the same parent company. Wasa makes a cracker that's clearly Kavli, but it has the Wasa name on it. That's another one I like; the Kavli variety, but I haven't seen that in awhile. Regular Wasa is too hard.

Not sure what I'm getting into today. It rained last night, so I'm not cutting trees. I don't feel like squishing around for optional work. This rain's really getting to be drag. I might sew up a bunch of socks, and get everything organized. I have a bunch of ultra premium socks, but I wear the same old ones and keep repairing them to not be wasteful. Most of my clothes are like that. I dress like I'm homeless, but I have a bunch of nice stuff in the closet :^D It's mostly work where I do that. I try to get every last bit of utility out of everything. Gloves especially are hard to tell when they're truly done, so I have a bunch of tattered gloves laying around. Climbing gloves for example. When the latex wears off, they become lightweight 'keep hands warm gloves', they wear some more, and become 'fingerless gloves'. Here's the hard part. When are they truly done? I don't need every mm of skin covered on fingerless gloves, so holes propagate, and they become less and less there, but there's still /some/ use, so I keep them.

The big problem, is I never have anything nice. I spend a little time with nice stuff, then it's months/years of worn out shit. Some kind of mental defect :^D

We managed to get Moose, our knuckle boom, reasonably stuck today. I say we, because I stopped backing up when it started spinning, and then the crane op decided that 28k in counterweight wouldn't bury it right where it sat. Nothing a decent sized wrecker couldn't handle.

Didn't do much of anything today. I looked through some old emails to see how long my ½" stablebraid is. I couldn't remember if I had 150' or 200'. In the midst of looking, I saw where I ordered 120' ⅜" stablebraid on clearance in 2022. The couple of you that pay attention will remember I just bought a spool of the ⅜". I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what's going on, and wondering how I could space 120' of rope. I was real close to emptying all my bags to see what I had, but I spent 15 minutes looking through email, and finally found the shipment invoice from that order, and saw the rope wasn't shipped. I then remembered it got removed. I guess someone bought it before me. They never specifically told me. It just didn't showup, and I wasn't billed for it.

Getting old's tough. 20 years ago I'd have remembered exactly what happened, but today I'm wondering where 120' of rope is, with no recollection of buying it :^/

Oh, and my ½" stablebraid is 150'. Didn't mean to keep you guys in suspense :^P

Had a good day working with Mike. We did a straightforward crispy, crunchy dead maple. Mike got it on the ground quick. Problem was the pieces exploded when they hit the ground. Made a huge mess, and the chipper needed extra babysitting cause it would stop with a throat full of hard chunks. Not a big deal. Just reverse the feed and forward again, but it required frequent intervention. Wasn't as nice as doing green stuff.

I also got this awesome shirt from @Ryan, c/o @pigwot & @Treeaddict (This shirt made the rounds!)...

IMG_20240204_165601501.jpg

The sticker will go on my apta. That's where I put stickers I want to keep nice, but my success has been mixed. It gets a little beatup going to and from the field.

Thanks a lot Ryan, and everyone that participated in getting it to me. The shirt rocks! :^)

Real crispy maples can be a nightmare to clean up!

I remember a maple from the dark ages before the mini and we just had a hand truck to move wood. It was a silver that was way dead and we could tip it whole. Damn thing exploded into two foot long firewood. It just crumpled its way onto the ground. Hours and hours of up hill hand humping torment only to load the cocksucker, by hand, into the truck. Thanks for triggering a long repressed memory. :lol:

Spent a little time away relaxing with the wifey, now back to getting ready to go north, maybe see @CurSedVoyce…anyone else thereabouts? Trying to remember all the things for cold and wet…wool socks, waterproofed my boots, spare boots…I think the heated handles work on my 2188 but not very hot or fast…what should I expect?

My complex had this dead tree that should have been cut down awhile ago. It fell over onto a nearby, thriving tree and was held up by a very small limb. It fell over in the crazy winds we had the other day.

I told maintenance, who I'm pretty friendly with, that I could easily free that dead tree and that I'd do it for the cost of an experience. They've seen me pruning deadwood around my complex and recreationally climbing and gave me a chance.

I rigged up the dead tree to one of my rigging ropes with a pulley/hitch/rope wrench system so that I could pull the entire dead tree off the limb, then cut the small limb that was holding it up with a hand saw, and then gently lower the dead tree to the ground. using my hitch based rope wrench system that was up next to me in the canopy of the other tree. Pulled it off with no ground guy.

This was my first real treework (if doing it for free counts) in a few months, so I was proud of myself. It was a pretty simple job, but it challenged me because I'm obviously not a professional. I found a solution, though. What a fun experience.

Tree work, as I see it, is basically continuous problem solving. People who do tree work professionally are clearly excellent problem solvers who are adept with physics and engineering/rope access.

My only regret is that I thought I turned my GoPro on for the job and...I did...but there was no memory card in it. Probably the third time that's happened to me. Not used to these things. Such a dick situation. Would have made premiere content.

So, question for the real tree guys/arborists: Would you call my dead tree a "snag?" I've seen that term tossed around a lot. Or does that only apply to dead standing trees in wilderness/parks?

Here's a pretty thorough article on the matter. Seems as though I might be correct. However, lingo can often be interpreted differently by different people. So I'll leave it up to you all to educate me, if you would be so kind. :)

IMO, once it fell over it ceased being a snag. It was then just a fallen tree. Dunno if there's a special word for that.

Back