How'd it go today?

Yea, a good bit of trees came down for it. Not all were worth anything, but there were a bunch of good ones. There was an ERC I wanted, but never got to cutting it before the clearing guy came.

I'm sure there's a projected lifespan on the walls, but I don't know what it is. Walls I did 30 years ago still look fine. I don't see why they couldn't last 100+ years. They only have to hold themselves up. It's not like a building where there's activity and shockload. Well, aside from wind I guess.

Yeah, I never used lotion for dry and cracked hands until I found Working Hands. I’d just grin and bear it. It’s the only cream I’ll use because it’s not greasy. It actually improves grip (over dry hands) oddly enough. Same here- winter only.
Yup, I got some, and sure enuff, it works!

Thx for the heads up

Helped a neighbor rescue a cat this morning. It was maybe 25 feet up. I was walking around my complex and saw these two women all flustered about their feline companion.

We all live in a dog and cat friendly apartment complex, so both are everywhere. Many of the cats roam freely. This one somehow got stuck up a tree or maybe got chased up.

They were going to call the fire department, but I told them I could get the cat down...maybe...hopefully. I love helping people.

I pulled my line over and made a quick canopy anchor on a limb well above where the cat was. I had to limb walk and wished I had spurs.

When I got up to where the cat was, I lanyarded in with an extra wrap around the limb, climbing off to the side off the limb, not on top of it because it was kind of small.

The cat started meowing at me, so I thought, "this is a good sign. Friendly kitty."

I already had gloves on, so I grabbed the kitty by the scruff like lightning before I lost control of it and shoved it into my ginormous alpine backpack. That cat was a fighter, and it started to hiss, and I could hear claws scraping the insides of my bag, but I closed the draw string and the cat had little choice but to go down.

That cat suddenly chilled out as I rappelled down on my rope wrench and allowed the cat's owner to commandeer the kitty from the backpack. I swear the cat gave me this look like, "what the f*ck, bro? I was looking for birds! Why you gotta play me like that, homie?" I sent him a look back that said, "bro, you couldn't come down, so I made you come down. Next time say, Thanks!"

This is my first cat rescue. They offered me monies, but I declined. It was good exercise. 8)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I rescued some random hot girl's drone not too lone ago. That was interesting...

Click link to view the post...

Last edited:
Helped a neighbor rescue a cat this morning. It was maybe 25 feet up. I was walking around my complex and saw these two women all flustered about their feline companion.

We all live in a dog and cat friendly apartment complex, so both are everywhere. Many of the cats roam freely. This one somehow got stuck up a tree or maybe got chased up.

They were going to call the fire department, but I told them I could get the cat down...maybe...hopefully. I love helping people.

I pulled my line over and made a quick canopy anchor on a limb well above where the cat was. I had to limb walk and wished I had spurs.

When I got up to where the cat was, I lanyarded in with an extra wrap around the limb, climbing off to the side off the limb, not on top of it because it was kind of small.

The cat started meowing at me, so I thought, "this is a good sign. Friendly kitty."

I already had gloves on, so I grabbed the kitty by the scruff like lightning before I lost control of it and shoved it into my ginormous alpine backpack. That cat was a fighter, and it started to hiss, and I could hear claws scraping the insides of my bag, but I closed the draw string and the cat had little choice but to go down.

That cat suddenly chilled out as I rappelled down on my rope wrench and allowed the cat's owner to commandeer the kitty from the backpack. I swear the cat gave me this look like, "what the f*ck, bro? I was looking for birds! Why you gotta play me like that, homie?" I sent him a look back that said, "bro, you couldn't come down, so I made you come down. Next time say, Thanks!"

This is my first cat rescue. They offered me monies, but I declined. It was good exercise. 8)
Good on you Bud!

I've done a few kitty-climbs. Most interesting ariel rescue I've done was an RC helicopter. Which sounds simple at first. Except it was a 12 foot long UH-H1 Iroquois, complete with turbine engine. Thing was like 300lbs, wedged 70ft in a codominant Ponderosa. Apparently the pilot made a conscious decision to cram it into the tree when he suffered some kind of tail rotor malfunction, and it had entered the tree backwards. Terrain couldn't have supported a man lift or crane, owner let me spur, then the pilot payed for the takedown, after I recovered his honking huge toy.

Ps, months later, the pilot had repaired the helo, and I got a few minutes on the sticks! And yes, I was listening to Fortunate Son the entire time!

Didn't do much today. Small boundary in a subdivision. Didn't find much evidence, so we brought what we had back to the office, and the boss will look at it on the computer.

I measured and cut 200' of line, and 5' for a prusik off my rope reel. I was gonna wait cause the yard's squishy, but I wanted to get it done. I just walked gently, and tried to stick to higher ground.

I was chilly today. It wasn't that cold(~40°), but it was damp, and my physical activity was low. Aside from the squishy ground, it would've been a good day for treework.

Not sure if researcher Brené Brown has come up before. I was up at 4:30am unable to sleep more, and I had heard about her TED talks so I looked them up. Really quite insightful. Worth the time.

Words of wisdom from a fifth-generation Texan whose family motto is “Lock and Load”!

I’d suggest listening to them in this order:

The Power of Vulnerability

Listening to Shame

Have a great day everyone !

You are the tulip king!!

That 55 is a sweet crane, it's the one we use most often

Wow Stephen.
A beautiful, healthy tree.
Doesn't seem rotten, diseased or otherwise dying.
Are you sure that is local?

You are the tulip king!!

That 55 is a sweet crane, it's the one we use most often
My wife’s favorite number is ‘anything with mostly fives in it’. The 55 is a sweet spot crane. That tulip was a pita. Steep, hillside sloping lot, crane on far side of the house made for small picks. Gabe was setting slings for the first three picks. He needed the 260 ft rope to rappel out.

Off today. Picked the truck up from the shop. Split some locust for next season. Locust sure does split nice. Did almost everything with axe, and I barely had to try for most of it. Went grocery shopping and got some big crackers...

IMG_20240201_123756066.jpg

Also got my order of almost 8# of licorice. Super stoked about that...

IMG_20240201_153939332.jpg

Off tomorrow too. Dunno if I'll stay home or go to the farm to work on trees. I'll see what I feel like tomorrow.

Do you know what the hole in the middle of that knækbrød is for?

Back