How'd it go today?

I’ve never seen a hitch like that. I’ve never hauled anything besides a 3000lb trailer either.
It is a standard 2" ball hitch. Once you drop it on the ball you squeeze the coupler together and slide the spring loaded coupler ring forward, locking it in place. Davey had those on the chippers when I worked there 30 years ago.

It is a standard 2" ball hitch. Once you drop it on the ball you squeeze the coupler together and slide the spring loaded coupler ring forward, locking it in place. Davey had those on the chippers when I worked there 30 years ago.
I believe I have one on the flat trailer for 2 5/16.
Just bought this one for Brutus. The pintle ring was worn pretty good and slams my diesel pretty hard. So seeing if this removed some shock loading slop. Lower it and it automatically locks onto the 2 5/16 ths ball.
Andddddd I can't get a pic till tomorrow. Oops

I don't know how to enter a max bid on this site. When I try to enter a bid I get a big warning that I've blown way past the minimum bid of $1. I don't want to spend my max if I can help it, and they don't have a faq that clarifies the bidding process. There's a single box to enter a bid. I feel like entering the max in the box is right, but I'd sure like some assurances of that :^/

I don't know how to enter a max bid on this site. When I try to enter a bid I get a big warning that I've blown way past the minimum bid of $1. I don't want to spend my max if I can help it, and they don't have a faq that clarifies the bidding process. There's a single box to enter a bid. I feel like entering the max in the box is right, but I'd sure like some assurances of that :^/
Can you call them tomorrow? What time does the bidding close?

Edit to add: that unit looks like it has more than 40 hours on it. Maybe your boss meant 400?🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yea, I might call just for peace of mind. It's an in person and online auction, so I imagine closing is when the item goes live, and someone somewhere places a winning bid.

Bulldog makes the best coupling on the market imo, a pintle works good too but they can slam a bit. The bulldog ones will bite your fingers so be careful, and if they get hung up just kick it closed. I've got one on the chipper, and have had them on random work trailers over the years, i love them, simple, heavy, and they just work.

Speaking of biting fingers i did something stupid and somehow bounced a baby saw on the back/ side of my hand (one handling a baby battery saw while holding, dicing up some small limbs for the wood pile, yes I'm an idiot). Cut clean, through the leather glove obviously, probably could use a few stitches since it was deep enough, but i think I'm ok. Washed it out really good with running water, then peroxide, then the antibiotic cream, and a big bandaid, which of course needed some electrical tape to hold it in place better cause i am going to be taking gloves on and off all day at work tomorrow.

Everything works good so no ligament or tendon, no heavy bleeding at all so didn't cut any pipes, didn't even really hurt much either and i got feeling everywhere so no computer wires. I'll rock the bandage and reasses tomorrow to see if i need to go in, after a day or two with no problems I'll probably glue it so it can finish healing if it's not there already. First kiss with a chainsaw, and i fully plan on it being my last, more annoying than anything else cause i don't have time for this bullshit right now, not to mention it's a red badge of dumbness to do stupid things and predictably bleed as a result. At least it was in a fatty spot and was my smallest saw i own, and was almost stopped when it happened, could have been much much worse.

Can you call them tomorrow? What time does the bidding close?

Edit to add: that unit looks like it has more than 40 hours on it. Maybe your boss meant 400?🤷‍♂️
I just saw your edit, and I was puzzling over that myself. They show the hour gauge at 40.x, and if you look at the feeder, the paint's still in good condition aside from right at the intake drum. The outside is pretty beatup with weather damage. I first thought "rental", but that's only 10 people at 4 hours each over a decade+(estimate). Assuming the hour gauge is correct, I think it may have sat on a farm and didn't get used much. That's about all I can think of that would account for the age and lack of use.

edit:
Oh, and holy shit Kyle! Glad you didn't get hurt too badly. Holding and cutting's bad juju. I'll carefully do it in a tree, but not with both ends of the wood free on the ground. I learned that the hard way with a machete :^S

Bulldog makes the best coupling on the market imo, a pintle works good too but they can slam a bit. The bulldog ones will bite your fingers so be careful, and if they get hung up just kick it closed. I've got one on the chipper, and have had them on random work trailers over the years, i love them, simple, heavy, and they just work.

Speaking of biting fingers i did something stupid and somehow bounced a baby saw on the back/ side of my hand (one handling a baby battery saw while holding, dicing up some small limbs for the wood pile, yes I'm an idiot). Cut clean, through the leather glove obviously, probably could use a few stitches since it was deep enough, but i think I'm ok. Washed it out really good with running water, then peroxide, then the antibiotic cream, and a big bandaid, which of course needed some electrical tape to hold it in place better cause i am going to be taking gloves on and off all day at work tomorrow.

Everything works good so no ligament or tendon, no heavy bleeding at all so didn't cut any pipes, didn't even really hurt much either and i got feeling everywhere so no computer wires. I'll rock the bandage and reasses tomorrow to see if i need to go in, after a day or two with no problems I'll probably glue it so it can finish healing if it's not there already. First kiss with a chainsaw, and i fully plan on it being my last, more annoying than anything else cause i don't have time for this bullshit right now, not to mention it's a red badge of dumbness to do stupid things and predictably bleed as a result. At least it was in a fatty spot and was my smallest saw i own, and was almost stopped when it happened, could have been much much worse.
Just keep it clean. Change the dressings at least once a day.

Looks like I bought a chipper. Suspiciously, I won with the the $10k I bid this morning. Best I can tell, it was a low key deal. Not an amazing bargain, but better than average. Just have to pay for it and fetch it. It's yours to use Mike. I'll have a place at the farm where it can be stored, and have stuff chipped there. or you can take it to a job to chip on site. Guess we'll have to figure out how to run it.

Noisewall today. It's always noisewall a day or two after a rain. Muddy mess :^S

Sorry about your hand mate!! Heal up well.

Nice little chipper, do a complete visual of everything once you get it, BEFORE you start it.
Is grease oozing out of all the right places, find all the grease nipples, check the knives and anvil condition and gap setting.
Check fluid levels, hydraulics, oil in engine, visual of condition of all filters (are they way faded or old looking, might indicate they haven't been changed in a while)
If anything looks suss, fix, it, replace it, service it!

Looks like I bought a chipper. Suspiciously, I won with the the $10k I bid this morning. Best I can tell, it was a low key deal. Not an amazing bargain, but better than average. Just have to pay for it and fetch it. It's yours to use Mike. I'll have a place at the farm where it can be stored, and have stuff chipped there. or you can take it to a job to chip on site. Guess we'll have to figure out how to run it.

Noisewall today. It's always noisewall a day or two after a rain. Muddy mess :^S
Good luck with the chipper bud! I hope it makes you a ton of money.

Kyle,
Watch for any tracking up your arm.

John,
Congrats on the chipper! If you come up I have a pile of branches we can dispatch after doing an initial service and check as per Fi’s excellent suggestion. Manuals available on line if it doesn’t come with one.

Burnham,
For me it is definitely genes, plus a lifetime of wear and tear 🤣.

Twenty-two ukelele players here this evening for their holiday dinner and jam.
IMG_8497.jpeg

Back