How'd it go today?

My sleepy engine in my van woke up unexpectedly. I guess it's doubtful that the injectors are concerned like I thought initially. When I started it on the parking lot at the grocery store, it showed its full power, running good even at low rpm. Then, the next day, the light of "engine defect" appeared on the dashboard, but still running good. Actually this light is a witness of the exhaust system. A while back, the mechanic told me to not worry much about this same light in my small car (if the engine runs well, that is). It shows a malfunction of this stupid EGR valve between the intake and the exhaust. It seems that the computer is all turned out when this valve stays closed and doesn't kill the engine's efficacy in high rpm (NOx reduction is the most important goal now in an engine, emissions laws and all that). But if it is stuck open in low rpm when it should close to get the engine running halfway decently, the computer doesn't care.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my feeling and deduction..
Sooo, in my turn, I don't care of this light. I won't go "see the brand's mechanic as soon as possible", like it's written in the user's book. For now, I'm confident that my engine runs better than previously, even before the sluggish episode. i have to find the time to take out the intake manifold to clean it though, as it is probably full of black gunk, thanks to the egr valve.

You can get OBD2 bluetooth dongles pretty cheap online. Plugs into the port on your vehicle, then you can read the codes with a smartphone program. Sometimes it doesn't really add clarity, and requires professional advice to interpret, but it can point to the general area of concern.

My sleepy engine in my van woke up unexpectedly. I guess it's doubtful that the injectors are concerned like I thought initially. When I started it on the parking lot at the grocery store, it showed its full power, running good even at low rpm. Then, the next day, the light of "engine defect" appeared on the dashboard, but still running good. Actually this light is a witness of the exhaust system. A while back, the mechanic told me to not worry much about this same light in my small car (if the engine runs well, that is). It shows a malfunction of this stupid EGR valve between the intake and the exhaust. It seems that the computer is all turned out when this valve stays closed and doesn't kill the engine's efficacy in high rpm (NOx reduction is the most important goal now in an engine, emissions laws and all that). But if it is stuck open in low rpm when it should close to get the engine running halfway decently, the computer doesn't care.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my feeling and deduction..
Sooo, in my turn, I don't care of this light. I won't go "see the brand's mechanic as soon as possible", like it's written in the user's book. For now, I'm confident that my engine runs better than previously, even before the sluggish episode. i have to find the time to take out the intake manifold to clean it though, as it is probably full of black gunk, thanks to the egr valve.
Seafoam makes an intake fogging product, but manual cleaning would be best.

Left work early cause i felt crappy and the wife and kids tested positive for covid, i did too and so i finally have it now. 1st time having it, kinda sucks. I just figured welding on oily pipes smoking like mad all day yesterday gave me a headache and made me tired and sniffling, apparently not the only cause. Hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow, gonna have to miss some work which will negate my overtime i worked this week, but at least I'll hopefully be able to get some stuff done around the house.

Watching them you wouldn't even know the kids are sick, playing like crazy and they'll get an extended Thanksgiving break, likely reinforcing their commitment to sloppy handwashing and not avoiding germs :lol:. We're all vaccinated too so that should help, it's kind of like a crappy cold with a headache, and tired.

I'm surprised the union doesn't pay OT after 8 rather than after 40

Oh, i got ot, Thursday and Friday were doubletime since they were holidays for us, sat was 1.5, and Sunday was gonna be doubletime again. Anything outside of your regularly scheduled 40 is overtime, so they can't do the come in early or late bs. So this weekend was gonna be 2, 2, 1.5, 2, aka daddy making it rain again! :lol: The problem is there was supposed to be a bunch more hours on the check, grrr

Last edited:
Helped Mike on a long dead black oak(probably) removal today. It was easier than both of us expected. We both remembered it as being more involved than it ended up being. Homeowner clearing out around it helped a lot, and everything was very favorable relating to the tie in beech Mike used. Thought it was gonna be more rigging intensive, but we only had to trivially use a rope a couple times.

Fine day for trees. It was about 50°, cloudy, and some drizzle later on. Only colder with snow would have improved the day :^)

I got my new 330 gallon tank in the basement today. Not exactly a solo adventure, but I lived to tell about it. A couple of point of no return segments to the show, but nothing got squished, so I'm calling it a win.
Heating oil or aquarium? ;)

Either way, quite the accomplishment!

I’m 99.9% on the heating oil.

A week or two ago I made a post on Facebook basically begging for work and asking all my local friends to share it. I ended up getting messages from 3 different people that night and they all sounded promising. Last night I finally got a call from one of them and I worked all day today (first work in over a week) and I'm going back tomorrow for another full day. They are clearing a big chunk of a 3-4 acre lot and we have a big burn pile going in the middle so I'm just feeding the fire all day.

Best part is the guy seems like a really solid guy. I like him and he likes me, so we will see how long it goes. Looks like another solid work contact for me. And I really need it right now, I just withdrew $3K from my 401K a couple days ago to cover my mortgage and other bills. My reserves are gone.

Pretty typical Sunday here. Burt some paperwork and more scrap from my log splitting. Set a bunch of huge silver maple cookies on as well. Ended up splitting and stacking for a bit. I was surprised that my neighbor was out building a hay shed in the horse pasture this morning. With rain moving in I offered to help but he declined. Said he didn’t want to get done to quick or else he’d have to go back inside with his wife. She is in full Christmas decorating mode so I understand. Ended up cooking a beef loin (minus a few filets) for dinner tonight. Turned out pretty good. I gotta be careful or I’m going to end up cooking every week end😆.
Mom came over for dinner and is playing a board game with my middle daughter and my nephew.
Almost forgot
IMG_7363.jpeg
This is what was left after the initial serving. Some was a bit rarer than I like but still real good

@SkwerI Brian, I’m really sorry to hear about your financial situation. Is the economy slow in Florida? Should have the snowbirds back now/soon, no?
A lot of guys are slow, it hasn't been a great year. And I don't have a very big customer base as I just bought my loader 2 years ago and started from scratch. We never had any severe weather this year, not even the typical summer afternoon thunderstorms. I was only averaging 3 days per week in the busy season (which was fine) but it seemed like the bottom fell out sometime in August.

Back