How'd it go today?

140000 trees to plant. 4 out of seven planters down sick and the ground is frozen, so the rest of us can't plant anyway.
I'm getting a bit tired of this project.
Been passing work on to other outfits for months, because I need a clear calendar for planting....................now we can't.

I think you may be looking for "hardened off" or "dormant".

It means they have entered dormancy and will thus not hit the ground immediately trying to support foliage activity before their roots begin to grow. It's better for them to winter over in situ, then start establishing root growth before they flush new needle growth and so on.

I'm off for a day or two. I'm supposed to go to the noisewall Wednesday, but the boss was crying that it's gonna be 37°, and too cold. I'll ask tomorrow if he wants me to try putting it off til Thursday. Probably wouldn't be an issue, but I have to check.

went and helped out another local company with some climbing and bucket work today, topping some crepe myrtles, and trimming up a maple and black walnut, lots of chipping

I just got online to buy tickets to whitechapel december 22nd and they sold out like last night, the ONE concert I wanted to go see for months but never got around to buying tickets in time :(
oh well, might go see Integrity on the 10th instead, atleast its at my second favorite venue...

from now on im not waiting, as soon as I see a concert I want to go to im just gonna buy the tickets
whitechapel is playing at my favorite venue, same place I saw Cannibal Corpse a few months ago, this venue has a nice balcony where you can get up over the crowd and see the show too, now I gotta be stuck in the mosh pit with a bunch of sweaty drunk old dudes at 11pm on a sunday

went and helped out another local company with some climbing and bucket work today, topping some crepe myrtles, and trimming up a maple and black walnut, lots of chipping

I just got online to buy tickets to whitechapel december 22nd and they sold out like last night, the ONE concert I wanted to go see for months but never got around to buying tickets in time :(
oh well, might go see Integrity on the 10th instead, atleast its at my second favorite venue...

from now on im not waiting, as soon as I see a concert I want to go to im just gonna buy the tickets
whitechapel is playing at my favorite venue, same place I saw Cannibal Corpse a few months ago, this venue has a nice balcony where you can get up over the crowd and see the show too, now I gotta be stuck in the mosh pit with a bunch of sweaty drunk old dudes at 11pm on a sunday
You could just wait for 1 of 10,000 cellphone videos to be posted and chill at home.

Pretty good day even though none of us were in the mood to be back at work. Four easy smaller removals and then off to oak prunes. Chipper gave us some fits with running. Mechanic was out and went over a bunch of things that I already checked, hooked his fancy expensive computer up and still nothing. Fuel pressure seemed to read high but never changed. I wiggled some wires at the pump and the little gremlin inside decided to work again. All good for the rest of the day.
Then after work I tore down and rebuilt the carb for my side by side. Too late to put it back in and do another oil change. If this doesn’t fix it I’ll order a new carb.

I freakin KNEW that was a Mexican joint a millisecond after looking at the photo without looking at the food on the table.

Was probably a fast food joint turned Mexican. Happens frequently.
Once upon a time, it was a Pizza Hut. My mom was the electrician who wired the O'Reilly Auto next door, 25ish years ago. I've been here most of my life. I've left for work, for adventures, for women, but I always come back. The Mogollon Rim, the White Mountains, is my home.

I guess the boss wasn't serious about taking off til Thurs. Staked a house today. It was about 30° when I started. I was wearing worn out climbing gloves with holes in the fingers, and my aluminum popsicle was cold on the parts with holes. It warmed up after a bit, and got nice out. Boss was still whining though :^D

The ground is still too frozen for planting, but the forester got a great idea.
The trencher still had a day to go, so we all lined up after him and planted in the fresh made trenches.
Worked fine, we got a bunch of trees in the ground.
Now he is gone, so tomorrow my crew will do a small one day Beech falling job, then bat cavities on thursday.
I need to get all the small jobs done, so we can concentrate on planting when it thaws again.

Another good day. Finished the oak pruning job and then went and removed 4 dead cherry trees. Two reached with the bucket and two that we opted to take the risk of felling vs. climbing. That worked out with minimal turf damage. Last we scoped out a cottonweed removal for tomorrow. Also laid out our runway for the mini skid. Going to be 19*F in the morning. I may or may not be the one climbing😆.
Got home, ate dinner, amd played a game with the kids.
It was a good day

@treebilly

Speaking of dead cherry trees. I really don’t see to many of the Prunus species kick the bucket. Kinda strange (to my ignorant self maybe) that there’s 4 dead on a property. Was there a gradient change or man made root damage? Herbicide?

Boss texted me and said we'd be starting at 9 tomorrow cause of the "cold". Supposed to be in the 20s tonight, and 37° high tomorrow. That doesn't fulfill the standard of "cold" for work weather. That's chilly. I told him to make sure his girlfriend dresses him warm, and to find his mittens :^D

Boss texted me and said we'd be starting at 9 tomorrow cause of the "cold". Supposed to be in the 20s tonight, and 37° high tomorrow. That doesn't fulfill the standard of "cold" for work weather. That's chilly. I told him to make sure his girlfriend dresses him warm, and to find his mittens :^D
Chilly is a good term for those temps. I still don’t like being chilly though.

For what I'm doing tomorrow(marking cans for noisewall columns), I'd say 35° is as cold as I'd like to go as long as it isn't ZOMG windy. It's pretty sedate work, so I'm not making a bunch of extra heat. For real work like driving stakes or cutting trees, 10° off of that would be just fine. Well, maybe not for driving stakes. Hard ground sucks, and your bullpinning every stake. I couldn't tell you the last time I had to bullpin stakes due to frozen ground. Used to go weeks like that back in the day.

For normal semi-demanding physical work, 20's-30's is fine, I agree. If it's dry. Standing around doing not much?...that's cold :D. For planting trees, anything above 55 degrees is far too hot for me :).

Wet weather is way different. There is no weather colder than 34 degrees and raining.

M and I went for a hike today at a local state park, about 4 miles. 24 degrees on the porch at coffee and build up the fire time. We waited until it got to 37 before we headed out. Not bad, no wind. We both were layered up good. Nice day.

Last edited:
Back