How'd it go today?

I might have a gig coming up shortly dropping a bunch of locusts for the boss. They're in the way of a proposed house, and he wants to use them as pole barn supports. There's also a cedar there that I want. Of course he tells me when there's only a week(probably less) til the machines come in.

This is the same site I trimmed up the chestnut on. I did a pretty decent job with that tree, but when we stopped by last week to stake the house, it had been absolutely thrashed by strong winds. Looked like ass. Broken branches all over. That's not the first time nature gave me a big "frig you" after doing a bunch of work. I spent *many* hours clearing the pond at work. Got rid of lots of stickers, trimmed the willows, and thinned out a whole bunch of sweet gum. Beavers moved in, flooded the pond, cut down the rest of the sweet gum, and killed the willows. All the hours I put into the pond equaled 0 :^S

Will do. I don't think there's much to it. Get the trees down, limbed, bucked to length, then someone else will haul for him. I can't quite remember how many's there. Might be 5. I know there's also a cherry in the way in addition to the cedar.

I might have sold a custy on craning the stump grinder over a fence with the 60 ton today. I was joking, but he asked for a price, and he's had us do crane work before, so not unaware of what it might cost.

I like seeing this sort of helpful collaboration between TH members. You fellas do it often, but you're not the only ones. It has always been this way in Butch's 'House...and I really enjoy seeing it happen still.

Carry on :).
this group is a different breed, you guys all seem to get along, and I havent been banned, way different from the other 2 big forums!

just bid a ~90ft tall 48" DBH oak over a shed, house, trampoline, 2 fences and a porch, of course its a tiny back yard (and front yard) and the customer wants to keep the wood, somehow magically im supposed to make all the brush fit in one load
I got a feeling itll end up with another late night hauling logs since theres no way im fitting all the limbs into my chip truck

crane will sit in the driveway, bucket truck will probably be backed into the gate so the chipper is in the back yard, and its gonna be 3 days of slicing and dicing once the wood is on the ground

1696197621734.png 1696197629798.png

just bid a ~90ft tall 48" DBH oak over a shed, house, trampoline, 2 fences and a porch, of course its a tiny back yard (and front yard) and the customer wants to keep the wood, somehow magically im supposed to make all the brush fit in one load
I got a feeling itll end up with another late night hauling logs since theres no way im fitting all the limbs into my chip truck

crane will sit in the driveway, bucket truck will probably be backed into the gate so the chipper is in the back yard, and its gonna be 3 days of slicing and dicing once the wood is on the ground

View attachment 132575View attachment 132576
Is that a special circumference to diameter converting tape?

A ported 90cc saw with 8 tooth rim and aggressive chain could make short work of slicing and dicing. Half a day to work it down to manageable sized chunks, still needing a split or 2 to be firewood.

Is that a special circumference to diameter converting tape?

A ported 90cc saw with 8 tooth rim and aggressive chain could make short work of slicing and dicing. Half a day to work it down to manageable sized chunks, still needing a split or 2 to be firewood.
yes, its a Spencer Loggers tape

yeah we are gonna tackle it with the 881 for the big stuff and either the 500i or the 395 for the little stuff, all the rounds are to be cut into hand moveable pieces and left in a pile, so every piece will need ripped in half 2 or 4 times
the log is coming down in 3-4 pieces just depending on what we figure out it weighs and what crane shows up, should be good for 8-12K over the log

either getting the 80 ton or a 110 ton, depending which ones available

View attachment 132575View attachment 132576
Can you use the trampoline to bounce debris over the house and into your trailer?! Save on crane money big time. 😜

Can you use the trampoline to bounce debris over the house and into your trailer?! Save on crane money big time. 😜
yeah ill try that, thanks!

there isnt much room out front for debris, its all gotta go in the chipper and back yard mostly, power lines and trees out front make it difficult to land trees lol
ill be in the mini ex all day crunching piles down and forwarding stuff to the chipper, on a good note the crane outriggers should straddle the driveway and avoid cracks, but im going to try and remember to put down plywood, its asphalt so it cracks wicked easy

I'd rather haul wood off than dice it up for firewood 95% of the time.
me too, but id have to cut it into tiny pieces anyways, my machine can only lift 2000 pounds at max reach and this log will be about 700 pounds per foot, so thats not a very long piece
but yeah a quarter the saw work to haul it off BUT an hour drive each way to the mulch yard or $80 a ton at a green waste facility nearby, so a full trailer load would be $450 for me to dump and theres atleast 10 trailer loads there

as much as id like to haul it off, the customer wants the wood, and doesnt want to pay that much extra to cover dump fees

The DR started easily this morning and ran like a top for about an hour doing some easy mowing. Then I shut it down for 15 minutes or so to move some stuff around, came back to it...and no joy, won't start. I am getting pissed :(.

I have a new air filter on order and am going to hunt down a new spark plug, both just on general principle, as neither appear troublesome...but otherwise, I am stymied. Any suggestions? It's a Tecumseh one lunger, model OHV125, circa mid 1990's.
Could be something blocking the main jet in the carb, is the carb fuel bowl run till dry after each run, or left wet to evaporate off and leave resin, that eventually blocks up the fine jets in the carb.
Or new fuel can then dissolve off bits of the resin that then floats around and waits for the most ill opportune time to stop the device.

What carb is it running, what engine ? will try and help if we can. Sometimes coils can go bad, and when they get hot, give no spark, they cool off, and work again till they get too hot, really annoying, but lets check the easy cheap basic stuff first so we dont leap frog over the problem.
pics will also help.

T

I don't have a module like that on this Tecumseh, Stephen...but you are absolutely right about the ground issue being possible.

After much chasing of wires with ohm meter checking continuity, and other esoteric testing methods including wiggling, pulling, pushing, and insulation inspection requiring far too much disassembly, I am leaning towards the conclusion that I have an intermittent ignition coil failure.

I should get spark 100% of the time if all ignition and safety cutout grounds are disconnected from the coil and the coil is fully functional. That is not the case; it sometimes does and sometimes does not produce spark under that condition.

Ergo, faulty ignition coil. I'm sticking with that diagnosis...until I slap a new coil on it and it remains broke :). Fortunately, seems like I can get one without much grief and pretty cheap, maybe even under $20.
Ahh, just saw this post now, slowly catching up from no internet for a week.

yes, coils can fail like that, start and run when cold, then they get warm, and stop working, they can be quite annoying to diagnose, and yes, a known working coil is really helpful to do so.

yes, its a Spencer Loggers tape

yeah we are gonna tackle it with the 881 for the big stuff and either the 500i or the 395 for the little stuff, all the rounds are to be cut into hand moveable pieces and left in a pile, so every piece will need ripped in half 2 or 4 times
the log is coming down in 3-4 pieces just depending on what we figure out it weighs and what crane shows up, should be good for 8-12K over the log

either getting the 80 ton or a 110 ton, depending which ones available
Make smart cuts. A big saw with a long bar can make a few cuts in a huge chunk one way, but not all the way through, do the same the other way, then cutting along the 3rd axis to release the smaller chunks in their final 20-80lb size depending on how small they need to be. Then, finish cutting through the rest of the way on the side that was left holding it all together.

Back