How'd it go today?

At one point somebody said he may have been pulling his lifeline out of another tree, but I cannot confirm that. I wasn't there and neither was the person who told me that.
Yes, I checked back though the thread and read that.
Not at the point of chunking down the spar I imagine.
I guess at some point the the details will emerge.

Also I went out this morning to help finish up the job. I cut down the remaining spar, loaded it and all the other wood into the dump trailer and raked up. The boss showed up about 9:30 and we were done about 10am. Was spooky cleaning up an accident scene like that. Found a hat from Lake County Fire Rescue on the ground, the climber is getting it as a souvenir.

Update on the climber who got hurt yesterday falling off the 12' spar. It seems after he made his cut and pushed the chunk off, his lanyard came up over the top of the spar. He fractured 3 vertebrae and 4 ribs.
One of the fire/rescue people forgot their hat on the job. It's going to the climber as a keepsake.
I’m so sorry to hear that. At least he stands a good chance at full recovery.

John sent me a message last night about a 334T at a local tool consignment shop. Told my wife “I’m buying another saw!” Her look a mixture of surprise, disbelief, and anger. I kinda need a backup climbing saw at this point. Price was $175 before the governors share so pretty reasonable.

Picked up gas hedge trimmers for $80ish as I got suckered into 2 landscaping jobs and I don’t want to drag cords. 1/2 of a job will pay for them. Never heard of the brand but they seem sturdy. Locally made as well.

Now I need to find out about modding the 334T muffler.

Edit:
Crazy stuff: Found the Little Wonder hedge trimmers cost $771 new! Model 2230 S.

I’m glad I spent the $88 as long as they don’t die after a couple uses.

Attachments

• IMG_6895.jpeg
    IMG_6895.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6894.jpeg
    IMG_6894.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6893.jpeg
    IMG_6893.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That saw looks virtually brand new! Good thing you got that trimmer. I might have gotten it myself if I knew it was there :^D I was pretty hot on getting a gas trimmer for awhile, but for the little I need one, a corded trimmer and generator to run it have worked well enough. Looking forward to hearing how the new tools work for you :^)

Little Wonder products have been around for decades. Usually pretty solid equipment. Rarely see them for sale in stores, mostly see them in rental stores.

bid another small crane job for an old customer of mine, removing a small 40ft pine (I think pine, might be spruce or cedar IDK, cant ID conifers very good)
will be 2 or 3 picks, may need to fly the stumper over the fence, not sure if itll fit through the gate or not, im planning for 2 hours from show up to pack up minus stump grinding

E2A: I got this job, gotta call my guy and get a 30 ton out next week, wanted this week but it rains day after tomorrow and the crane is going on the lawn

I just edited the post about the Little Wonder hedge trimmers. They sell for $771!!!

They definitely are pro grade. Probably why they were in rental stores. They usually rent high quality equipment.

John, they are yours anytime you need them!

Since I got such a good deal, I’m hoping they don’t die 1/2 way through the job😜.

I buried the bar on the 334T in river birch after 3 raker swipes and it didn’t bog after leaning on it. I bet this saw isn’t even broken in yet- too clean. Air filter looked great.

That saw looks virtually brand new! Good thing you got that trimmer. I might have gotten it myself if I knew it was there :^D I was pretty hot on getting a gas trimmer for awhile, but for the little I need one, a corded trimmer and generator to run it have worked well enough. Looking forward to hearing how the new tools work for you :^)
Too far to run a 100’ or so cord from the house?

I just edited the post about the Little Wonder hedge trimmers. They sell for $771!!!

They definitely are pro grade. Probably why they were in rental stores. They usually rent high quality equipment.

John, they are yours anytime you need them!

Since I got such a good deal, I’m hoping they don’t die 1/2 way through the job😜.

I buried the bar on the 334T in river birch after 3 raker swipes and it didn’t bog after leaning on it. I bet this saw isn’t even broken in yet- too clean. Air filter looked great.
I will say you need to stay on top of keeping the air filter clean on the 334. They really like to build up dust unlike other Husqy rear handles.

Took down two trees on that job I was talking about before. Boss is a spaz, and doesn't plan for the future. I got two pole barn poles, a corner fence post, and maybe a regular fence post if he can work with 6'. I also got a shorty for me I can get a couple boards out of. Lots of quality waste wood I couldn't transport today. He needs at least two more pole barn poles, and preferably more, but he said to just cut the one. There's another real good one I might get this weekend, but it'll have to be pulled. Didn't feel like it today. I also got a cedar for me.

The locust stump was picture perfect. I made up for it by sending part of the cedar sideways. It was a codom, and I wanted to get both together. I misread what was going on, and the primary stem went where I wanted, but I virtually cut the other one off the stump. There was just a little tab left attached. Had to send a line up and pull it out of the tree it was hungup in. No big deal, but disappointing.

anyone else having trouble finding work? ive got one job this week and its my first in almost a month
either I bid and never get called back, or I just dont get calls to begin with, im running ads non stop and posted in all sorts of local groups, expanded my service area and advertising extras like land clearing, nothing seems to work

of course I JUST bought a machine to keep up and now im not working at all, all my friends are working but nobody needs help
this is aggravating, my prices havent even gone up any, out of probably 30 quotes ive gotten one and im only making $500 on it...

there has been probably 90 or 100 tree companies started in town in under a year, theres tons of trees here but always someone to under bid any other quote, I could put $250 on a $5000 job and still be underbid and its pissing me off

anyone else having trouble finding work? ive got one job this week and its my first in almost a month
either I bid and never get called back, or I just dont get calls to begin with, im running ads non stop and posted in all sorts of local groups, expanded my service area and advertising extras like land clearing, nothing seems to work

of course I JUST bought a machine to keep up and now im not working at all, all my friends are working but nobody needs help
this is aggravating, my prices havent even gone up any, out of probably 30 quotes ive gotten one and im only making $500 on it...

there has been probably 90 or 100 tree companies started in town in under a year, theres tons of trees here but always someone to under bid any other quote, I could put $250 on a $5000 job and still be underbid and its pissing me off
The economy has slowed down in our area. Probably country wide. Good ole inflation. Thank your federal elected officials and their appointees.

Back