How'd it go today?

next crane job I gotta remember to have them try that!

"Jeffery Flannigan" on facebook has some wicked cool videos of him swinging off the crane from trees, 50-100ft+ swings
only 112ft tip height on the crane we run, but next job will be a 38-127 altec, 137ft

Went for a ride today. 175' hook height. Then Bob lowered the boom and spun me around at full speed. Better than an amusement park.
I’d like to try that. Also, been wanting to have an anchor (like a crane) somewhere in the open air and jump from a high tree somewhere around 50’ away. Rope at a 45* angle. Take a big swing high up and through the air. Then, rappel rapidly while still swinging.

next crane job I gotta remember to have them try that!

"Jeffery Flannigan" on facebook has some wicked cool videos of him swinging off the crane from trees, 50-100ft+ swings
only 112ft tip height on the crane we run, but next job will be a 38-127 altec, 137ft
His handle is TreeSlayer on YouTube, I believe. He does some great swings and rappels. His work looks good too. First person I’ve ever seen using a chainsaw stopping gauntlet on his forearm.

I’d like to try that. Also, been wanting to have an anchor (like a crane) somewhere in the open air and jump from a high tree somewhere around 50’ away. Rope at a 45* angle. Take a big swing high up and through the air. Then, rappel rapidly while still swinging.
Are you familiar with what rope jumping is? It's an even more badass version of what you just described. Sounds like you would really enjoy it. You can go to places like Utah and rope jump off of some of the massive natural sandstone arches. Here is a video by a guy named Ryan Jinks who has a channel dedicated to mostly big wall climbing in Yosemite and high lining. Here is a video where he explains and demonstrates how he builds high lines between massive gaps at ridiculous heights and then rope jumps on it. I believe they use semi-static ropes for this, so they always test it using a giant gear bag filled with rocks so that the stretch doesn't cause anyone to hit the ground.

Didn't we used to have a 'Treeslayer' here on the Treehouse? I'm friends with Jeff Flannigan on FB, don't know if he's the same Treeslayer that used to be here years ago.

Took the kids to the pool and it was cold. I was the only adult between the 4 pools for a while. Only kids generally get in cold water. I guess I’m a kid. Didn’t dive off the diving board to enter for fear I’d have a heart attack from the shock and the 115lb “lifeguard” wouldn’t be able to pull me out of the 10’ deep water.

Now it’s time for my 6 year old and I to shorten the grass

As far as the rope jumping thing here's the guy that invented it, Dan Osman. Apparently he was trying a really hard arch section and just couldn't get it, and he noticed he liked the falling part more than the climbing part, so he starting doing it. Amazing climber as you can see. :rockon:

Earlier this week I went into LI Sound with my buddy visiting from FL. It was 57* and he is used to 80*. Getting in was tricky as usual but it was a very fine dunking with some swimming too. We stayed in for 5 minutes and he said it was unbelievably excellent, I concurred. He was basically high from it for the next 45 minutes. He's done 17 Ironman races and is an excellent long distance swimmer btw. After he got used to the temp in about 3 minutes he said he could easily swim a half mile or so in the water.

And on the cold water note, I just watched a vid re the Wim Hoff Method and bottom line from a doctor who has studied it alot, in his opinion most of the positive physical and psychological effects from cold exposure are more from mind set than from physical changes such as increases in Brown Fat.

I had an alright day. I made some content for my channel showing and explaining multiple different ways to create either a backup or secondary lowering device or a way to lock off a rope under tension that is capable of being released. Some of the ways shown were a Petzl Rig/GriGri, a Rescue 8 descender (w/ and w/o a third hand/prusik), using a Rope Wrench with a VT, using a Rope Runner, using a Munter Mule Overhand (MMO), and a few others. I finished editing the footage shortly thereafter. It was productive.

Howver, I'm becoming increasingly unsettled and nervous. My girlfriend had surgery yesterday at 8am and she had to be put under for the procedure. After 12 hours had gone by yesterday, and after not hearing from her, I tried calling her and her phone went directly to voicemail. Her phone is never off. It has now been 36 hours since she went in for surgery and I can't reach her and her phone is still off. She has been living with her parents for the last few months and I used to have the number for the parent's landline. Unfortunately, two months ago, they moved to a new house so I have no idea how to get in touch with the parents and I can't go to their house because I never got around to recording their new address. I talk with my girlfriend every single day without fail, so this is highly unusual. Anyways, I guess I have to wait it out and hope for the best. Definitely worrisome. Ugh.

Last edited:
Roofing... in Florida... in the summertime. :onfire: Sounds like fun. What part of Florida? I'm on the west coast, just north of Tampa.
The family and compnay are based in Ft Ogden. Seth is out there too, starting his own deal and will sub out to them.
They specialize in metal roof fabrication. Have machines and all that. But they also flip houses. Out here they had the roofing business and a painting business and were tied with a couple contractors. So they would refurb houses and resell.

Back