How'd it go today?

Picked up this Garwinner 52cc, 20” chainsaw for $20.
25:1 oil! You can fog mosquitos while you cut wood :^D

Worked with Mike today on a black oak removal. Mike did the climbing. He's really getting good at this. I'm impressed. Here's a before pic. I didn't think to take a pic of what we left. We're going back tomorrow, and it should get finished up then.

IMG_20230520_081058239_HDR.jpg

It's worse than it looks. The bottom has big hollows in it, and Mike got into a gnarly carpenter ant nest about midway up. Removal was prudent imo due to proximity to the house. Also, something's been hammering the oaks around here, especially black oak. They can decline fast, and then start dropping branches that don't really look that bad(though dead) from the ground.

The black oak John and I did was topped previously as well. An ax will go 10” in on quite a few areas of the root flare. Lots of fungus aloft not visible from the ground.

Here’s an after picture. John was runnin ropes like a champ. We only had about 7 hours on site. We did decent for a surveyor and a plumber but not too great for a full time tree service. Much was rigged down. No center leader. Rigged small as the best and most upright which would give us a good DZ wasn’t huge and showed signs of sapwood decay above the rigging point.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Sat on the porch with my coffee and wife this morning while it rained. Hummingbirds and orioles stopped by while I was out there. The. I dropped the dump trailer off at my parents house, ground and cleaned up two good sized stumps, had dinner at my brothers, and finally picked up lumber for re-decking tomorrow. My brothers and I are replacing my parent’s deck around the pool. Part of it was built in ‘96 when I graduated and slowly added on to over the years. I really wish I could just rip it completely out and start over but that’s not a what they want to do. It’ll be interesting that’s for sure.
Also last night I managed to get the planters filled in the garden before the rain😎
IMG_6643.jpeg

John and I finished the black oak. He rocked the ground. He even fabricated me a friction saver on demand. Also, he didn’t get pissed at me for being needy.

The homeowner offered more money because it took longer than we thought. We said no but he said to just think about for a few days. I don’t know.

The family went to my work picnic. We caught some bass, played catch, basketball, and volleyball. Volleyball was office vs field. As expected, field whooped em! It was a fun time.

Attachments

• IMG_4990.jpeg
    IMG_4990.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4988.jpeg
    IMG_4988.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
More or less finished the oak job with Mike today. Client decided he wanted the log milled. Mike will do it later this week. and I'll just go up to hang out and assist as necessary. Mike does a better job milling, and I don't like milling much. I just took my boots off, and I have a pile of sawdust below my chair. My pant legs were full of it. Not sure how it got there. I have some holes in my pants, but I didn't think they were big enough to let in that much sawdust. Might've come in through the waist.

I keep having to type DRT/MRS and SRT/SRS, both acronyms for each climbing style, every time I discuss it openly online. This is frustrating and not for the the reasons you may think. Yes, it's tiresome to effectively repeat myself with two sets of acronyms which hold the same meaning. However, what I find so intriguing is that there are ways to climb SRS where the rope becomes part of a moving system; for example if someone were to be training a climber on how to ascend SRS/SRT and they are feeding them climbing rope over an anchor using a belay device such as Petzl Rig or a GriGri. Equally interesting is that it is possible to climb DRT/MRS, where the rope is doubled, but it is is stationary; Rock Exotica and Petzl both make devices for this style of ascending a stationary doubled rope. So now that we've established that a "moving rope system (MRS)" can be used stationary and that a "stationary rope system (SRS)" can be used in a way where the rope is moving, it leaves me a bit confuzzled.

Surely there must be a better way to classify these "systems". But perhaps there isn't. Maybe we just have to remain aware that, in a world abundantly filled with new techniques for climbing, that some SRS systems won't be stationary and some MRS systems will not be moving; there are a lot of variables and if you're looking to rescue a fellow climber, this is really important to understand. Finally, these "systems," as we now are calling them, are actually better defined as techniques since the devices and ropes which make up any given system can be used with a variety of different techniques. "System" is far too finite and should only be used when attempting to isolate a very specific technique with very specific gear used in a very specific way, which may or may not be part of a larger family of many other techniques, such is the case with DRT/MRS and SRT/SRS.

Anyways, just some proverbial food for thought. I hate when things are convoluted or imprecise. I'm that guy who will correct your grammar in public haha

went to my first concert last night, finally got my hearing back 100% around noon today
got the other outrigger off the truck, now the 4th or 5th time ive had an outrigger out, thats off being rebuilt, still dont want to keep the truck long enough to replace hoses but the orange jacket is gone on a few and its just white strands, no structural damage but im sure its well past due for a replacement, ive got to rebuild the crush cylinder and reversing valve on the chipper, and fix a dripping oil tank thing on the bucket truck (no clue what it does, 1992 GMC topkick, 3116 CAT, tank under driver door step, approx 10" DIA, 18" tall, one hose comes off the oil pan, and if I remember the other one goes to the air compressor), had about a gallon less oil than it should have when I drained it last week, so I know that tank isnt holding more (atleast I hope)

I feel great for once, I really needed to spend some money and do something non work related, hung out with a friend and head banged my struggle away, I gotta do this more often!

Its called 'self care' these days. We spend waaayyyy to much time doing for others (in a good way) its ok to have some 'me time'.
Part of being 'resilient'
If a concert is yo thing, do it!! See how it made you feel!!

I keep having to type DRT/MRS and SRT/SRS, both acronyms for each climbing style, every time I discuss it openly online. This is frustrating and not for the the reasons you may think. Yes, it's tiresome to effectively repeat myself with two sets of acronyms which hold the same meaning. However, what I find so intriguing is that there are ways to climb SRS where the rope becomes part of a moving system; for example if someone were to be training a climber on how to ascend SRS/SRT and they are feeding them climbing rope over an anchor using a belay device such as Petzl rig or a GriGri. Equally interesting is that it is possible to climb DRT/MRS, where the rope is doubled, but it is is stationary; Rock Exotica and Petzl both make devices for this style of ascending a stationary doubled rope. So now that we've established that a "moving rope system (MRS)" can be used stationary and that a "stationary rope system (SRS)" can be used in a way where the rope is moving, it leaves me a bit confuzzled.

Surely there must be a better way to classify these "systems". But perhaps there isn't. Maybe we just have to remain aware that, in a world abundantly filled with new techniques for climbing, that some SRS systems will be stationary and some MRS systems will be moving; there are a lot of variables and if you're looking to rescue a fellow climber, this is really important to understand. Finally, these "systems," as we now are calling them, are actually better defined as techniques since the devices and ropes which make up any given system can be used with a variety of different techniques. "System" is far too finite and should only be used when attempting to isolate a very specific technique with very specific gear used in a very specific way, which may or may not be part of a larger family of many other techniques, such is the case with DRT/MRS and SRT/SRS.

Anyways, just some proverbial food for thought. I hate when things are convoluted or imprecise. I'm that guy who will correct your grammar in public haha
"SRT/SRS" is single rope technique/system
"DRT" is "doubled rope system" and "MRS" is "moving rope system"
DRT and MRS are different but used interchangeabl , but SRT/SRS mean the same thing
DRT can be a doubled line that moves, or a doubled line that doesnt move, but MRS will always be a line that moves

"SRT/SRS" is single rope technique/system
"DRT" is "doubled rope system" and "MRS" is "moving rope system"
DRT and MRS are different but used interchangeabl , but SRT/SRS mean the same thing
DRT can be a doubled line that moves, or a doubled line that doesnt move, but MRS will always be a line that moves
i am not confused as to what their meanings are. I just wished to highlight some fascinating nuances that aren't always mentioned by anyone ever.

Its called 'self care' these days. We spend waaayyyy to much time doing for others (in a good way) its ok to have some 'me time'.
yep, finally had a few profitable weeks of work come in, so we could afford to go blow a couple bucks at a concert
I might have it figured out, since I make approx 5x the money in a day vs what I would spend hanging out with friends, going to see a concert, etc, then in theory I can take one day a week off for myself

i am not confused as to what their meanings are. I just wished to highlight some fascinating nuances that aren't always mentioned by anyone ever.
perhaps I was the confused one
none the less, maybe someone will read this in a few years and itll help someone out

Your hearing is precious, be careful at concerts... I lost a lot of hearing at clubs etc. Bring earplugs with you every time to bring it to an acceptable level.
yeah, I got half way there before realizing I forgot them :(
found out they sell them at the merch table, as I was walking out the door after buying a shirt...

Back