How'd it go today?

Douncenozzle (edit: doucenozzle)?! Never heard that one before 😂😂. That’s great 🤣

Went on a bike ride after work with my youngest and some neighbors. Stopped at another neighbors house to help move a large rock out of the perspective garden. 5 men, a truck, and a couple heavy ropes got it done. It took about an hour to dig it out and place it upright in the garden at a perfect angle for his last name to be painted on it. As soon as we were done his wife yells out the window that she doesn’t want it there and it has to be moved🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Last edited:
Another day on the hill clearing for view. Sucked pretty bad. I stayed down on the road most of the time using the mini as a winch to bring the trees down the hill. We had a spar that was used as a gin pole (hopefully the correct term) and that worked well enough. Wish the bucket baby left it about 20 foot taller. I was whooped.
Then home to shorten the grass, get a load of mulch, pick up my oldest from softball, and finally eat. After dinner I helped the wife pull weeds in the flower beds till dark.
It was a good day

I spent the first 6 hours standing around with a steel rake waiting for something to rake. I wish we had both grinders there.

Do you keep a written record of it? If not, it would be a cool thing to do. See how it changes over the years. I should do that with my stuff, but I'm lazy and put things off. I'll say "I'll write that down later", then never get to it.

Good pic, growing up. Cool re the bees.

Dave, what size/make grinder?

Feeling a bit better today so I’ll head to my buddy’s place and work on the trailer we’re rebuilding to haul our tractors around.

Fox ate all the ripe strawberries before we could pick them. Made a screen cover for the berry box. Saw a few pill bugs. They don’t eat much, but if there get to be too many I’ll dust with de (diatomaceous earth). IMG_4582.jpeg
And a neighbor’s 45 ft tall Yellowwood (Cladrastis kentukea) is blooming! - first time in four years.
IMG_4608.jpeg
IMG_4596.jpeg

The plastic on the poly tunnel was done for and needed changing.
I have been Sooooooooooooooooo tired of Water voles digging into the tunnel and eating my veggies from below.
So I decided to put stainless steel netting down around the whole thing.
Should take care of the problem.

View attachment 129159
How much money does that tunnel save vs growing your food without it?
Are the voles a problem in the winter too?
Something to consider regarding the depth of the steel mesh is that, around here moles dig deeper than 18", and voles can make use of their tunnels.

Got to the job this morning at some apartments and there was a red shoulder hawk walking down the sidewalk. he wasn't able to fly and wasn't really energetic so I called my friends at Audubon. I wasn't able to break away but they had a volunteer only a couple miles away who was able to come get him. We found an injury to his chest under his left wing.
She texted me a while ago and said he passed away while she was holding him and they were running tests. :(

Got off work early and shortened grass. Been planning on this day since last week. I check the temp and rain conditions, and try to nail the optimal time. Today is the coolest day this week.

Did that and free climbed my hemlock to get rid of some deadwood. Some of it was hanging down and hitting my head, and I didn't feel like suiting up for that little bit. Hemlocks are great for freeclimbing. Nice scaffolding, and not too dense to get around in the tree. I ended up cutting more than I intended, but I wasn't thorough. Tree's on a very slow decline. Been hacked up by the RoW guys, and has woolly adelgid. It keeps on keepin' on though. I think it'll probably get removed when sewer gets installed, whenever that is. I'll miss it.

Graded beams today...

IMG_20230518_093009533_HDR.jpg

I thought I was getting better at walking steel. No problems til I got everything done and headed back. Easiest path was walking a beam to ther side, and I found my problem I thought I lost. Doing grades, I'm walking a few steps at a time, then watching a level bubble. Just walking across I get vertigo cause I can see the ground and the beam at the same time, and they move at different speeds. Oh, well. I guess being an ironworker isn't in my future.

Got home early and put the shingle patch on the roof. I wanted to wait til it was warmer, but I noticed yesterday water had gotten on the garage ceiling. My cookie tin patch failed. I got black roofing gunk all over my hands. It seemed to stick to everything aside from the stuff I wanted it to stick to.

Side note... The black caulk is overrated. It wasn't any bigger than the white caulk I've used for other things. Kinda feel ripped off.

Back