How'd it go today?

Yesterday I went to the hospital for my half year leukemia check up.
As my haematologist picked me up in the waiting rooms, he said: " I have some really fine curves to show you".
All the good stuff, leucocytes, red blood plates etc is on the rise and cancer cells are on a serious downhill curve.

So I guess I get to keep my promise to my new apprentice.

I have promised her not to die or retire till she has her degree, and she has promised me not to get pregnant before then.
We shook solemny on that.
Good to know I'll be able to keep my part of the deal.

hopefully, because as we all know...................................shit happens.
Especially to loggers.

Hard to tell from the video on my computer, at least.
What were you protecting by not simply letting it fall?

I took a hit like that once with a big dead top I was too afraid to climb higher on. Never again!

John said:
“Pat will be stopping by soon showing the 4 months of projects he completed in the last 6 weeks :^D”

Truth be told I have done very little: built one cabinet, moved a trailer of mulch, and put a new seat belt on the tractor.
Been extremely tired with flare up of joint pain, systemic pruritis and radiculoneuritis.
Seeing the MD tomorrow morning.

Stephen, after dropping large tops on hazard trees for years and years, we started to think our luck might run out some day, so now we set them on a face and a snap-cut ( two felling cuts above each other, intersecting with maybe a foot between them, does this make sense?)
Then pull the top out with a winch after the climber has " left the building".

Same thing would work in your situation.

Well I figured out why my trailer brakes haven't worked for the last 9 months in spite of replacing and rewiring them completely. I opened my junction box today and the nut holding the brake wire was never tightened. Snugged it up and my brakes work great now! I'd be a millionaire if I wasn't such an idiot.

I
Stephen, after dropping large tops on hazard trees for years and years, we started to think our luck might run out some day, so now we set them on a face and a snap-cut ( two felling cuts above each other, intersecting with maybe a foot between them, does this make sense?)
Then pull the top out with a winch after the climber has " left the building".

Same thing would work in your situation.
IVe done that as well Stig on real hazard trees.
I am getting older and cranky. You should see the jobs I turn down these days. Let the younger guys take the beating. Or try and figure out difficult logistics.
I wish we could have got a crane in. But we would have needed to cut a bunch of landscape and the driveway entrance and street are narrow at that point. HO would not let us make it possible. I kept telling him he was making me do it the hard way in a not so nice 1/2 joking tone.
Told him the next 3-4 that die are going to need a helo. They sit on a hill next to the road. Crane would close the road and that sets the primaries higher. Dont know the boom could lift big enough pieces. Then land them in the road for processing.
I prefer not to take picks from over power lines if I can help it. Just me. But I could pull a permit and have a helo pick. Then fly it down the street to a large field a church owns. And they like me. So maybe a donation would suffice for usage. He hated the price of just the helo showing up.
They continue to add more shat to the yard making rigging things down horribly difficult on a slope that is pretty much too crowded and steep enough the dingo is eliminated from the equation.

Last edited:
I've known guys that ran those doing snow and for lot clearing, the things print money doing those. Others use them for their yard, great way to move a mountain of stuff in a hurry and since they can pick ungodly weights and run attachments they can really surprise you with how useful they are. So i could see you buying one, i don't consider it that far fetched because I've seen them in use and known other guys with them. But yeah you need a really big job to really use one of those to their potential, and they are very dangerous if you have people around.
That machine is big really big and would need special road permits for transport. I think it would push a 20’ snow box with ease. The smaller orange wear blocks are bigger than my head. I don’t want to even know what it costs.

I
IVe done that as well Stig on real hazard trees.
I am getting older and cranky. You should see the jobs I turn down these days. Let the younger guys take the beating. Or try and figure out difficult logistics.
I wish we could have got a crane in. But we would have needed to cut a bunch of landscape and the driveway entrance and street are narrow at that point. HO would not let us make it possible. I kept telling him he was making me do it the hard way in a not so nice 1/2 joking tone.
Told him the next 3-4 that die are going to need a helo. They sit on a hill next to the road. Crane would close the road and that sets the primaries higher. Dont know the boom could lift big enough pieces. Then land them in the road for processing.
I prefer not to take picks from over power lines if I can help it. Just me. But I could pull a permit and have a helo pick. Then fly it fown the street to a large field a church owns. And they like me. So maybe a donation would suffice for usage. He hated the price of just the helo showing up.
They continue to add more shat to the yard making rigging things down horribly difficult on a slope that is pretty much too crowded and steep enough the dingo is eliminated from the equation.
Sounds like a $100,000 job to me. Slap him upside the head with a huge number.

Ahhh makes sense now, thx. I've done 2 heli jobs in my life, don't want a third :lol: We set some massive roof top units in the middle of a huge roof with them, i was over it after the first pic. Nothing like 10 guys frantically trying to shove a massive swinging load into position, drop rigging, then get it winched in place before the next one shows up in a few minutes. I couldn't even possibly imagine trying to do that in a backyard!

Rained overnight and into early afternoon. I made more progress on the raised garden. Then ran off to grind, clean up, and do restoration on a large stump from last fall. Went well except for the irrigation line that got hit. They actually used 1” schedule 40 so it was an easy fix. Then back home to the garden. A few more skirt boards and some additional bracing tomorrow morning and I’ll be ready to fill it. The door and fencing can be done next week. Or maybe not. We shall see.

Back