How'd it go today?

Drove to Winnipeg to meet the orthopaedic surgeon who's gonna fix my broken wing. 2 of 4 tendons in my shoulder are ripped from the bone. He wants to fix it "pretty soon", in a month or two. Then 6 months before I'd be cleared to manipulate scaffold components again. My daughter thought that was a long time. I told her I got nothing else going on. And really I don't.

@Ryan, was this a workplace injury?

Wraptor earned its spot in the truck, again. I got a rigging line stuck in a tall fir, and had to go back up as the last thing for the day.

Climbed a nice fir to start the day, to remove two long limbs. One was about 6" in diameter, and probably over 50 years old. Maybe many more. I got the collar cut piece of wood to count.

2 huge throw line rats' nests today. Maybe I should cut it down, and tie the two together when I need extra length. 250'.

Yesterday, my GF climbed a fir that needed a couple limbs rigged from over an outbuilding and fence. Building more experience.

Sean
@Ryan, was this a workplace injury?
It was 30 yrs of labour and weightlifting wear and tear that came to a head as I kneed the dumbbells up on an incline chest press, heard/felt two pops and one dumbbell landed on my chest as my arm folded in. Ego lifting to prove that I still could until that fateful day when all of a sudden I couldn't. 😶

@Fiddler It's interesting that you say what you said because that is already exactly how I feel: completely and utterly hopelessly behind in life. I have a twin sister who somehow doesn't have any of the issues that I had and she's been doing remarkable things for a long time now, so it's difficult to not compare myself to her and others. However, I'm doing my best and I'm pretty sure that's all anyone can expect from me. I'll do my best to avoid letting myself view my life as if I'm rushing to catch up. I appreciate relatable advice.

@BlackSmith That's great advice. My anxiety issues have a way of making every little setback feel astronomical and it's difficult for me to keep everything in my life in perspective. I'll definitely do my best to have a greater awareness of the true nature of any setback I may encounter because, as you stated, the majority of it is little shit which, if I allow myself to, will be quickly and easily forgotten about soon enough.

Last edited:
@Fiddler it's difficult to not compare myself to her and others.

@BlackSmith My anxiety issues have a way of making every little setback feel astronomical and it's difficult for me to keep everything in my life in perspective.
"Compare and despair"

It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, even the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed. - Ram Dass.

@Bioassay, maybe it's best to not have goals. Life kinda gives you what it wants to give, when it wants to give it. Point yourself in a general direction, and see where you end up. Keep your eyes open. An interesting opportunity you never considered may present itself.

I'm not in the biz, but I think you just apply to tree companies you want to work at. You already have a good bit to offer as a new guy, and you're willing to work. Get in, and see what happens.

You have much experience joining throwline? I'm almost inclined to get a whole new one when a line breaks. Seems like the knot would attract snarls sitting in the container, or deploying.
No. @biggun mentioned doing it, IIRC.

250' with 2 bags doesn't allow a double fold of the cube, at least not without careful, intentional stacking instead of neat stacking.

Yea, I found that with my backup cube that has 300' of line. I /can/ double fold it, but it isn't pretty. I just fold it once. My primary long line container is a 2.5G bucket, and my short handthrow container is a makeup bag(Kyle's favorite).

@lxskllr Thanks for you advice. I'll most definitely take it to heart.

@CurSedVoyce That's impressive. Math and I aren't friends unless I have a calculator. And even then our relationship is tentative. I'm more a sciences guy (yes, math is a science, but you know what I mean) and in chemistry almost everything is a formula that can be remembered or customized based on a set of constant rules and there's so much more to it than just math. Regular math (versus chemistry) puzzles me. Like what's up with "imaginary numbers" anyhow? =-D

Last edited:
I'm not real good at math. I took algebra A&B(algebra 1 for dummies) in highschool, and I /think/ I may have failed A once, but I can't quite remember. I always lagged in math. I'd be taught something, barely understand or get through it, but come back later, and understand what it was about. I always swore I'd never do anything that needed math, and a year out of highschool got a job that's pretty much all math. Still doing it :^D

Software does almost everything these days, and I really only need to know some trig. I'm just memorizing equations in any case. I wouldn't say I have a fundamental understanding of the core principles or relationships between the various functions.

@Ryan I went through that in 2013. Tore the infraspinatus and supraspinatus tendons clean off the bone. Combination of kicking out spikes on a silver maple and instinctively grabbing my climb line, but falling farther than the amount of slack in my line till my TIP grabbed, and a mtnbike fall.

Make sure you’re moving that shoulder post-op as soon as they clear you to do so to avoid adhesions and s locked shoulder!

Holy smokes, you remember how to do that?
You'll never use Algebra after High School they said. No worries they said..... :lol:
I remember some. Takes me a few tries on the equations to remember all the rules and what not.
Of course I have the teachers book to reference ;)
Remedial Math for me.
I help teach at her school on Mondays. All age groups from 1st grade on up to 12. So I get remedial every thing. English is my weak subject. Even that is taught different these days. I had one kid that wrote what I thought was a perfectly good sentence and found out it was not. :lol:
Good for the brain though.

Math is what separates us from the animals, i hated learning it back in school but it's true. Once you actually get somewhere in science it becomes all math too, and it all builds on each other, where the math of yesterday is the science of today. Without math applying said science is pretty much impossible, i use trig and algebra pretty much daily working as a fitter, although historically some of the math used in industry is dumbed down to make it easier to do in the shop and my trade is no exception. But if you don't understand the math behind it you can't do anything complicated, and really won't understand why things are the way they are or how to build/fix them.

Math also teaches you how to perform critical thinking and gives a framework of how to approach seemingly impossible problems, which are things that are almost impossible to teach without it. Isolating the variable to reduce it to its simplest form, noting relationships between different variables and how changing one effects the other, how graphing points can help identify trends, etc, all learned from basic math. By repeating these skills over and over and then building on them you can develop and teach critical thinking skills and abstract thought, which is why we're the smartest animal crawling on this rock.

Screwed around at work, but the boss had stuff to do, so I went home. I was gonna remove that limb the neighbor wants gone, and as soon as I walked down the road to check clearance on his mother's(in law?) car, she came out of the house and left. Made it easy. I took off some of the limb, and got rid of some deadwood. Pretty easy. Got to use my new frictionsaver for the first time. Makes hip thrusting(which I hate) much easier. Easier just to do that to get to the first branches than screw around with footlocking.

Since I flunked college math, I guess I must be an animal :lol:

Had a fine , but hard day today.
Pulled everybody out of the woods for a view clearing job at child education institute.
They were ( justifiably) proud of their cook ,so they offered to serve us lunch.
Excellent, even for a herbivore. Made for a good break in a hard day.

I bid the job in summer and totally over bid it. I bid it for 2 days, full crew.
A fact I realized, now when the leaves were gone.
So I told the crew: if we can pull this off today and you are willing to put in a long day, everybody gets friday off, with full wages.
There is something beautiful about seeing a well oiled, good functioning crew, just click into over drive.

Lots of brush and small trees to be gone and lots of canopies to be raised and 3 big oak trees to be felled and cut to firewood.

Made it before dark.
Everybody felt real good about pulling it off and now we have a 3 day weekend ahead.
Happy, tired bunch of treefolks heading home.

My new logging gal was on the MS462 for 8 hours straight, cutting firewood lengths.
Her comment afterwards: After all that pre commercial thinning, I sure missed running a real saw.
Did I ever luck out with her:D

Sean

It was 30 yrs of labour and weightlifting wear and tear that came to a head as I kneed the dumbbells up on an incline chest press, heard/felt two pops and one dumbbell landed on my chest as my arm folded in. Ego lifting to prove that I still could until that fateful day when all of a sudden I couldn't. 😶
Surgery booked for Feb.17. Quicker than I thought but still 3 weeks of anticipation and anxiety.

I got up this morning feeling pretty awful. I slept terribly for some reason. I procured some caffeine and spent some time catching up on various whatnot on the interwebs.

Today I had planned on filming a how-to video for the RADS (rapid ascent descent system), which many of you are likely familiar with. It has seen use in pretty much every discipline of climbing from rock climbing, to rescue, to caving and even tree climbing.

In my opinion, the RADS is a great place for beginner climbers to start. Despite the obnoxious changeover one must make in order to switch from ascent to descent arrangement, the mechanical advantage involved, as well as the aid of a foot loop (something simple to stand on) and hand ascender (something to grab that is natural feeling) add a sense of security on the way up. And then, when descending, using something like a GriGri is quite simple and foolproof.

I ended up going back to the same pine tree on the perimeter of my apartment complex’s property and pulled up a line. At one point, I did the same thing as the other day, where I went all the way up to the top of the tree, believing I was being filmed, only to discover that, although it was filming this time, I had forgotten to adjust the camera so that it would be pointing upward.

I decided not to let that ruin my day and moved the camera, clipped back in and did it all over again. It’s good exercise if nothing else.

I also managed to get sap on my rope which caused the rope to get semi-stuck in the cam of my GriGri every now and again. So, this time when it was time to rappel, I just got some momentum early on and just blasted right through the sap.

Anyways, my video came out great and my goal was to provide helpful education for the new climber, and even the experienced climber; anyone interested in the RADS. I, personally, prefer my Rope Runner Pro, but climbing with a RADS is somewhat relaxing and effortless. It’s useless once you get into the canopy, though. I brought both of my lanyards up with me so that I could get to the top.

Finally, I decided to have a little fun with my basal anchor and make it the most ideal setup that I had the gear for with me. I’m sure most of you will recognize this setup. I even gave each individual component a uniquely colored carabiner with the idea being that, if a climber were injured but conscious and if the person on the ground were unfamiliar with how to operate the rescue 8/prusik combo, instead of using terminology that person may not understand, they could just refer to each piece by the color of the carabiner. Even the rescue 8, sling and hitch cord were uniquely colored and easily identifiable. Definitely overkill, but it was fun.

Sorry, I struggle to keep things short. Thanks for listening to me ramble. :boogie:

EDIT: I used a modified version of the DOUBLE CLOVE TRESSE (formerly the Tauntline Hitch, and before that the Double Clove VT) as the "third hand" on the basal anchor lowering system and I used the TRINITY hitch on one lanyard and the CALLIGRAPHY hitch on another. Every hitch functioned as intended. Although, the lowering system obviously was not used. However, I would put my life in that hithes...er...um...legs? Ha! Even though it seems like nobody is ever going to start using one of my hitches, I'm still going to shamelessly advertise their greatness and advocate for their widespread adoption and use!

Attachments

• PXL_20230126_170449300~2.jpg
    PXL_20230126_170449300~2.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230126_175146966.TS_exported_593848_1674772292522~2.jpg
    PXL_20230126_175146966.TS_exported_593848_1674772292522~2.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230125_223141442~2.jpg
    PXL_20230125_223141442~2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back