How'd it go today?

Had pruned this one before. Just lifted off the roof and thinned it out because they wanted to "keep" it. Pointed out defects. Said , ok, you da boss.
I guess after the other side failed, they rethunk it. I killed it today. Guyed it back first. Natty crotch the brush. Firewood chunk the stem till I could drop it on the zone. 2 hours from leaving to go there till it was done and we were packed up. Buddy Frank took the wood. Just burned the brush there. 20230102_090210.jpg 20230102_090219.jpg

I had to call in last night to let the boss know I wouldn’t be there today. I needed to finish my chimney pipe installation. Rain is supposed to move in late tonight. Almost everything is done now. Roof is sealed up and shingled, wood burner is hooked back to the ductwork, and a fire is going. Only thing I have left is to do is button up the wall I had to open. I think I’m going to trim it out and put an access door there. It is conveniently located behind my tub and shower. An access panel will make it nice if I ever need to work on that.
My back is mad at me for being on the roof as long as I was. At least I know I’ll be on street tree removals all week. Most likely in the crane cab.

Rain day. This makes 13 consecutive days off for me. Longest stretch in over twenty years. These last two days weren’t planned but I’ll take it. I’m not using any PTO for them either. Paycheck is gonna suck but that’s why we plan ahead and work the overtime when weather is nice. I’m enjoying it.
I’ve got the trim cut, fit, and stained for the hole I made in the wall. Another few hours and I’ll apply a coat of poly. The door for it is glued up and setting. The wife’s gift got put on hold because of the chimney issue but it’s getting a coat of poly on a bit. Should have that finished in another few evenings after work.

Lazy afternoon.

Chipper maintenance, a little bit of neighbor's shop cleaning, a mutual friend came to see him, asked me to come over for some easy work. Canopy raising along her driveway, no cleanup. Hard working older lady, retired army.

Connected a guy I know to do some minor shop repair for my custy where I used my prop, cut, tip trick to take the failed maple off a building before Christmas.

Tomorrow, the same guy will come look at some pile barn/ shop repair at my house.

Last edited:
Finally got a couple of hot summer days.

So I picked up two electric panel heaters I bought on Marketplace for a really good price. Brought them home and decided to unload and split some oak from a job last week. Only about half a ton, but not much of that around here.

Got that put away and must have got my neighbour in the mood, he started up his splitter just as I finished.

Lost prefeed power on the chipper a couple days ago, after troubleshooting all sensors, harnesses and anything else that has 12V I found that there is something missing between the engine and the pump. It must have been going on for a while for the metal coupling "teeth" to break after the spider disintegrated.
20230103_210624.jpg
Words of the day: check your couplings!

1672851322278.png
Curious if it is similar to a lovejoy coupler that I had between engine and pump on my splitter. Looks like.

Is there always such a coupler between the engine and pump on hydraulics?

@SeanKroll. That is the set. Looking at the rather extensive manual on the chipper, I could not find this part in the PM section or even troubleshooting area.
The chipper is 10 years old so it seems about time to replace the part.

Easy day going back after being off for 13. Had to run and look at a couple estimates and then I scoped out some city tree crane removals. Three of the five I need road closure permits for. Not a big deal but I find it stupid that I need to pull a permit from them to do a job that they hired us for. Two of the three I also need to bring in a sub on. My little 95’ of boom is going to be short. Then We got rained out this afternoon.
Also got told that my Stihl pants and jacket should be in next week. Local saw shop is giving them to me in hopes of selling more apparel. In exchange I have to give my review and wear the things on job sites. They are also giving me a new kask helmet with a visor and muffs. I think I’m a few years late to start a modeling career but I’ll give it a shot. 😆

Hope that head ache goes away Dave. I had one that lasted about four days last week. Really sucked

That's kind of a weird sponsorship, no? How many people do you interact with on jobs? Seems like the potential business wouldn't really make up for the cost outlay.

High winds and periodic rain, estimate day
They asked for it. "we have no water in our reservoirs", "we have no snow pack" :cry:

Now they want it to stop because they have a superabundance in just a month's time more or less.

I feel like someone is trying to send a message to california. Hopefully it isn't too bad in your area.

Walked with GF this morning, threw the ball for the dog and moved firewood for my gf, left the house at 11am, new fuel filters and plugs in my (2) 2511t's, helped 'Brother Charlie' with a tractor repair, got a step closer to sawmill set up, split firewood, ate good dinner compliments of my gf, as usual.

Is there always such a coupler between the engine and pump on hydraulics

Yup. And not just hydraulics, they're found on pretty much all rotary motion pumps of any kind, with all kinds of motors. Most are like that on smaller stuff (i think the technical name is a dog clutch for the lovejoy style you pictured), but I've gotten into spring loaded ones on bigger stuff (not on hydraulics that I've seen but they do exist). Sometimes even a hard spline connection might be used, that's how a tractor pto works and is technically a coupler. The problem with the hard coupling like that is the engine or motor have to be carefully aligned and impulses aren't dampened between the different components, so your engine firing would be spiking psi through your system. The hydraulic pump on my backhoe is a splined one, but it's reduced rpms through the transmission which absorbs the impulses of the engine, and is from the 1950s.

They're ideally designed to be able to be replaced without unmounting either component's bases so the alignment isn't messed up, just adjust the set screws to slide the dogs out of the way up the shaft to remove the coupling. Watch for match marks, once again i wouldn't think they would be found on smaller stuff but you never know. Rotating assemblies like that wear into their bearings, so the ocd in me might want to line that up the same way just by habit so everything is the same. On a splined coupling this would be more important since it's more rigid and constrained, the whole point of the lovejoy is to allow more misalignment and dampen impulses so it's not as critical. I've been in lots of factories and industrial plants and you wouldn't believe how much stuff is powered simply by hydraulics running off an electric motor hooked up with a lovejoy coupling, all bolted to a chunk of steel welded to whatever.

Nah, that's just mechanicing :lol: need to get me another pup to break in, getting sick of working this hard! I've broke in several apprentices over the years, I'm from a family of teachers so i can kinda see why. It's fun to work with them over the years, I'm working now with several guys I've taught, and surprise work goes pretty good most of the time. I had very good teachers too though, one at the community college got me ready for a test and got me started, and then a grizzly old monster turned me into something resembling a hand. My rigging, welding, work speed, problem solving, pipefitting and layout, running work.... all foundations pretty much came from one guy, with a bunch of other guys who fine tuned me as i learned. Even today i learn something everyday from sometimes the most unlikely of people.

Welded in the mud, then went inside and fabbed some stainless the right way, complete with purging, taping, and all the associated headaches. Think I've got my hand back at it so that's good, but it's a slow, intricate, methodical process that I'm just too tired and impatient for :lol: i had also changed how i did the first pass after a buddy helped me with it, was a bit of a learning curve at first but now I'm dialed in and starting to get back in a good groove with them. It's kinda funny how info like that travels thru the country, guys adapting to weld tests and inspectors on the bigger jobs have changed how the most critical pass of a pipe weld is done when tig welding, and then those techniques are passed mainly by word of mouth with guys showing other guys on the job and up at the hall.

Tomorrow will be the 4th work day in a row that I'll be welding in a ditch, and for extra fun they run everything right by each other, so one side is pretty much inaccessible. This then requires you to jam your head up under the pipe in the mud and snuggle a live steam line. You awkwardly light up, then eat fire trying to guess where you're welding at, going little by little because you have to bend the rod in half to even get in there. It's a young man's game, and I'm on the back half of my time doing it. My eyes are starting to go so i have cheaters to help me see, but they only work for a certain distance making the tight access stuff work tougher and tougher as you get older. Like i said, i need an apprentice to break in so i can relax a bit :lol:

Decent day. Boss texted me last night and said he had paperwork today. I went in late and worked more on the downed trees. Climbed the spruce with a ~34' piece of mercury to clean up the top. I left a hollow in the top, and some of the branches may not make it. If I took it all down to good wood, there's be almost nothing left. It's short enough that any future failures can't hurt anything, so why not? It'll be a complete removal in the not too distant future. The 11mm mercury isn't great footlocking rope. Skinny, and my gloves were slippery. Worked well enough for a short climb. That piece will my trial long lanyard.

Later, boss disturbed me, and wanted help getting some file cabinets he was buying used from ~30 miles away. The guy had a couple office chairs he was getting rid of also, so I got one for work and one for home. $25/each. I needed a chair in both places.

Back