How'd it go today?

I'd like to see a pic of what it looks like well into the burn, like 30-60 minutes. I've never had the pleasure of a Swedish Candle

Got the wife’s project ready for stain. Had the wrong shade so I’ll need to pick up a lighter one tomorrow. Then I cleaned the chimney. Now I will sleep knowing that tomorrow I have to destroy the clay liner and install double wall. That shit is pricey. I’ll have a grand in parts. It’s gonna be tight getting it in also. I guess worse case scenario is I have to rip out the whole chimney. That’ll be tough to do with our ripping out a section of dry wall. I could move the stove then and eliminate one 90* and a 45* turn in the flue pipe though. We shall see. I also have to help move a new fridge into my brothers house, get the suburban over to the mechanic to tell me which cylinder is misfiring, and help the old guy up the street rip a counter top down. So much for the last two days of my vacation. It’s always something. Can’t really complain. Things could be worse. Time to rest up for tomorrows adventure.

I decided to order take out from an Indian restaurant that I usually don’t patronize. A bunch of us went there earlier this month and it was a pleasant experience so I called on them again.

My 5 year old (John) and I arrived and went to the pickup/bar area at the front of the restaurant. A man was drying glasses and didn’t acknowledge us. A lady walked around in front of us a few times. Basically, the man finally spoke 7 minutes later after he dried the last glass. Our food was sitting on the bar since we walked in. He said “it just came out”. Now I’m really agitated. The total is $45.58. I give him a $50. He hands me $4 back and says “I don’t have .42 cents to give you. I laughed in his face and said “you’re serious?!” He then tried to hand me a dollar and I told him to keep it and we walked out. I planned to leave the whole $50 as a tip but not after his behavior.

At least the food was good and they didn’t mess up the order. This is why it’s so important to employ the proper people.

Went to Mike's parent's house and pruned a silver maple. It was cool getting in a tree, and giving my new rope a decent workout(rope's great), but I'm not real comfortable with pruning. Kept asking Mike what he thought should be cut. It's one of the topped trees mentioned elsewhere. I'm more comfortable wrecking, or just doing obvious stuff like deadwood, or clearly inferior limbs. It was a good time though. Need to work more on planning ahead.

Thank you for your help, John! Cash da check!

We were taking out a near dead leader and lightening the load of epicormic’s arising from the previous toppings. Each topping cut had one or 2 epicormics removed except for maybe two “nodes” which weren’t very reachable.

Before and after pics don’t reveal too much. I think a 90* turn would have shown more. I’m not sure if we should have taken more. It was structurally more sound than I originally thought (nice surprise). I actually srt’d to the rotten leader, put on spurs, spurred up, chunked it down, and removed the spurs to continue trimming. Very effective in that situation.

Attachments

• ABE2CDF1-17A7-4A92-862A-FDD040E3D675.jpeg
    ABE2CDF1-17A7-4A92-862A-FDD040E3D675.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 44822A8A-ACE7-4E99-8A4B-A4DC328BB0A9.jpeg
    44822A8A-ACE7-4E99-8A4B-A4DC328BB0A9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Stikine, that looks cold af what with the wind and snow capped mountains. 40* water will get your attention!! :rockhard: Lately I've been doing 3 minutes at approx 37* in the driveway farm tub. Got a heater for it to battle last week's severe ice up, works well.

Went to Mike's parent's house and pruned a silver maple. It was cool getting in a tree, and giving my new rope a decent workout(rope's great), but I'm not real comfortable with pruning. Kept asking Mike what he thought should be cut. It's one of the topped trees mentioned elsewhere. I'm more comfortable wrecking, or just doing obvious stuff like deadwood, or clearly inferior limbs. It was a good time though. Need to work more on planning ahead
Structural restoration is real arborist work, and less straightforward than a wrecking job, which has its own treeworking skill set.

Back