How'd it go today?

Had a good day.
Walked next door to Sister's for biscuits & gravy breakfast & gift exchange this am.

A buddy stopped by this afternoon to split a pot of coffee & visit for a while.

Just now back from sister's for dinner. Prime rib, mac & cheese & rolls.

Time for a book & a nap :)

Was out late last night, so mostly stayed in bed til almost 11 this morning. Got out, and joined renter out in the wood pile. Spent 2 hrs. and 3+ tanks of fuel breaking in a new MS261. Then hand split some locust, oak and ash as a gift for friends providing Zach & I dinner. Spent the evening munching, imbibing and shooting pool. Can't complain.

Last edited:
Went into work and did some more with the trees. This was the fallen white pine...

IMG_20221226_114237640_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221226_114242242_HDR.jpg

About 24"dbh. I forgot to get after pics, but it doesn't really look much different. Got everything smallified, and got started stacking. I bucked the pine to 8' lengths. I might mill some boards out of it. Same with the spruce, but that's one log, and another that's short and kinda skinny. I'll save some rounds for Swedish candles. Smaller stuff I'll stack for the boss' girlfriend's fire pit. Branches? I might leave them for someone else to deal with. Got to use my 362. I love that saw. Really throws chips, even with semichisel chain.

59cc. It was my first pro saw, or really, my first decent saw of any kind. A lot of it is just the full height ⅜" chain. I use my lopro saws more than anything, so using something bigger is always a treat. I also used my echo 490 a good bit, but it doesn't currently cut well. I had rocked the chain, and when that happens, I just tidy up the teeth a bit and keep using it. That saves filing time and tooth length, but it doesn't cut as well til the defects are fully filed out.

Made a few cuts with the 661 on the main trunk sections. I was hoping the rootplate would flop back in place, but no such luck. There's a couple cedars growing in it, and it would be nice to save them as a replacement for the pine. I might see if I can lever it back in place or something.

I
Managed to do my & both my sister's drives as well as the neighbors (they usually just shovel) plus the three mailboxes with the snow thrower.

Didn't have face covered & ended up taking two warming breaks...otherwise it went well.

This "storm" wasn't as bad as the last snow we had. Hardly worth all the hullabaloo.
I'm thinking a lot of people just wanted a longer Xmas weekend :/:

Time for breakfast... :)

I have flopped a root plate back into place a handful of times by winching it. A come along or plain jane MA with rope and pulleys could also work.
A bottle jack with a post might, as well. Angles factor a lot with both. If you can hook it to your truck, that would be the easiest to try.

Have you seen someone pull a stump over a truck wheel to change the direction of force from the truck or winch/ horizontal to vertical pulling? A taller prop, maybe 6' or so, made with a log with a rope friendy notch, might allow you to rotate a stump-stub over to vertical, depending on the stump situation, as a way to manipulate your line-angles. 16721034214553394686399435720538.jpg

Just a day of log splitting with son and groundie today. Got about 4.5 cords stacked on pallets. Then had dinner via the kid, followed by baking and then a game of cribbage. Awaiting baking results b4 passing out.

All fourteen of us home for the holidays. Half the family had not met the youngest two cousins due to distance (Thailand) and Covid. It’s been a ton of fun. In the wood shop with the oldest grandchild. Son wants to make up 20 tick sticks for his employees and volunteers later today. The great room windows are plastered with fingerprints of the little ones. Lots of interest in the birds at the feeders. Lots of great meals, hours of just hanging out by the fireplace. Only one mishap: the 31 yr old tried to sit cross-legged on the couch with a freshly-poured cup of tea, bobbled it, soaking her wool-sock on her right foot. Sustained burns over a 7” x 3” area of that foot. Badly blistered and small areas with eschar forming. Have kept it covered with non-stick dressing and kerlex. I’ll take her to burn center for assessment - they have an opening in a few hours.

06EC3004-0454-4831-B0B1-6F7275AB4BB6.jpeg

C6E0A4D6-51D1-41A5-97C1-069413776041.jpeg
7A8A9954-DAB1-40FD-B9EC-3758F63E544D.jpeg 06EC3004-0454-4831-B0B1-6F7275AB4BB6.jpeg

Back