How'd it go today?

Went into work to grab some firewood while the ground's still frozen, and played with the fallen trees. Didn't feel like starting a saw for little stuff, so I cut with a hatchet and stacked brush. Root plate is going back by itself. Told the boss to push it with the skidloader. Probably won't happen...

IMG_20221228_112635914_HDR.jpg

My part in this is finishing up. Just a little more saw work, stack firewood for boss' girlfriend, Mill the bigger wood, and clean up the spruce snag...

IMG_20221228_124140736_HDR.jpg IMG_20221228_124150401_HDR.jpg

Boss looks up at the canopy over the area and says "Maybe burn the brush in a bonfire" :rollseyes: He doesn't have a bit of sense. A backyard with decent treecover isn't the place for an inferno. I told him to call the guy we're working for to come up with a chipper. He's literally 5 minutes from the office. Got home and swept the porch to stack my new wood. Found a live butterfly, but I think I killed it sweeping. Made a dozen slow wing flaps, then quit flapping...

IMG_20221228_140245275_HDR.jpg

I kinda don't think so, but I really have no idea. That was the last thing I expected to see. It's been cold as hell the previous few days, and Maryland cold for awhile now. I'd have figured they all died a couple months ago.

Did a bit outside this morning around the firewood pile. The. Went up to the neighbors to continue working on my wife’s gift. We got everything glued up last night. Tried to sand the glue off and the belt sander quit. Put that on hold and back to the wood pile. Also found my belt sander so I’ll be finishing that project tomorrow since it’ll be raining.

Yup, lawns here as well went from something you can drive an 60k lbs crane on and leave no trace to lawns you can't walk across without making a mess.

While yes, also nah man, just trying to make a living. That's pretty much my role at work, I end up welding most of the crappy stuff because i can. In return I'm not usually the guy who has to grunt stuff, but i end up doing it a bunch anyways cause that's what we do sometimes. The whole time I'm welding my fitter is right there in the mud with me, handing me rods and tools and trying to take care of everything that isn't welding, everyone doing what they can to share as much of the workload as possible. It's a beautiful thing to work with guys like that, who take pride in their craft and know how to work together in a team. Also got to work with a buddy today that i don't get see often, so thats always cool.

What happened to those tough Wisco winters?

It's melting here as well and everything is a sheet of glare ice. 😨
I don’t know. It was here but melted. I am sure winter is not over with but this warm can eff off. The ground should be froze deep by now. Ugggggggha it’s too early for mud. Mud this time of year sucks badly.

Rich, what’s the gift for your wife? Must have missed it when you mentioned it in previous posts.
A cover for the top of the stove. Not a huge project and also last minute. I’m just a bit picky about wood working. I have 8 boards joined together and it’s hard to find a seam. Also laid a straight edge on it and it’s flat as can be. Working with my older neighbor is great. He’s just as picky but knows exactly how to achieve what is needed. I’m making it out of white oak that I helped mill a few years ago. I’ll get it sanded and squared up, round over the edges, and prepped for stain tomorrow afternoon. Hoping to get it stained as well. Then maybe a coat of poly Saturday.

### How To Make A Swedish Candle ###

Start with a spruce round. Add a bed of pine needles, and a small teepee of tiny twigs.

IMG_20221230_160301209_HDR.jpg

Light it.

IMG_20221230_160608108_HDR.jpg

For best results, use Swedish matches. You may need to blow on it a couple times to get it going.

IMG_20221230_161052955.jpg

Success! Whisky is optional, but recommended. CompassBox Peat Monster is a fine choice.

Good night to sit outside and wait for the sun to go down.

You mean, how to light a swedish candle if you are a hippie.

I just douse them in diesel, add a splash of alkylate, toss a match and off we go.

Gotta admit your method has a tad more romance to it.

Back