How'd it go today?

I was figuring I'd moor it at the house. Sink a couple piles to moor it to. Thinking about it though, that might not be allowed. No land came with the lighthouse. I guess I'd have to read the deed and maritime law. The bed probably belongs to the government.

I'd say that the see is usually pretty harsh around the ligth houses and the ground not really friendly, mostly stone and boulders. That doesn't look like a good idea to put a pontoon here to host a boat. The access all along the year is a real concern too, boat available or not.

Y'all don't have an ounce of romance in you.

My Swiss wife would absolutely adore it, if I bought her a lighthouse.
Practicalities be damned.

I have , in fact, found a danish lighthouse, that one can rent.
Booked it for her birthday.
( it cost as we say here: " The front part of a jet fighter", but it'll be money well spent).

She has a thing about lighthouses, probably because Schweiz have none.
So we have an ongoing project about visiting every one in Denmark.

Sleeping in one will be a one up.

Will I get laid in a lighthouse.....................................................most likely, yes :D

Yeah for ornaments, obviously Christmas but she lots of other ones too. She just started about a year ago and just passed over 1200 sales so far, so we're really happy and grateful for her success. I'll

No, she's been buying them and I'm just drilling the hole for the ribbon. She was buying the predrilled ones last year but without it's cheaper, you get cleaner holes, and they are placed more strategically. I would love to make them, but for now buying them is plenty fine.

Rescued(I think) a bird from Spot this morning. Heard her meowing, and looked to see what she got. I thought it was a mouse, but when she tried dropping it in her food bowl, it moved, and Holy Shit! It's a bird. I told her to drop it(she of course gave zero fucks about what I said), and I went outside to get it from her.

It's not the first time I've chased her while she was carrying a bird, and she's particular about not losing her prey. She dropped it though. The bird was too lively, and I was too close, so I got between them. It ducked into some tall grass around my burn rocks, and I stood guard awhile to keep Spot away. Not sure what condition the bird was in, or if was able to eventually fly off, but I did what I could. I think it was a Carolina wren.

I really wish she'd confine her efforts to mice and moles. She's a killing machine. Exceptionally successful, and I wonder how. She's bright white, with just a few camo spots. Seems she'd be easy to spot. I can tell when she's around just by listening to the birds and squirrels. The critters around here need to get a clue, and start paying attention.

Corn field conversations:

Danny: what are these big flattened patches in the corn?
Me: the bears lay on their backs and eat the corn with all four feet.
Danny: I wonder why they do that?
Me: well, they got no fuggin thumbs.
Danny: hunh.

I didn't say it was an intellectually stimulating conversation.

It's crossed my mind. I'll have to give it more consideration. I wonder if mice get warned too? Mice seem a little stupid to me. I think they might still be successfully hunted with a bell.

20220924_190240.jpg 20220924_190209.jpg

The rope ladder is made with my first tree rope from 15 years ago...Arborplex.

Next, some permanent diagonal bracing, a low and middle board around the edge of the floor and partway up, respectively. As a barrier and a place to attach siding, after the roof is done.

A lot of dollars are adding up, even with the logs for joists, decking, rafters and siding for free.

She wants a higher level in one section... trap door in that roof for tree access... in time.

I made this all from scratch.
16640721994631318323391431827446.jpg

Ya, right!

Last edited:
SOLD! $192k...

View attachment 123687

I'm sure no one cares, but I find it fascinating. It's not often you get to find out what a kind of rough lighthouse is worth. What do think? Maybe another $100k for a nice, but imperfect restoration? $300k all in. That would get you a lot of land in the mountains with a nice cabin. I think I'd have to have the kind of money where this purchase was > 2 in fun land acquisitions.

I had $50k in mind, and it's hard to tell exactly what you'll spend til it's time to put money on the table, but I think $75k would have been my absolute cap. That would allow another $25k for repairs, with me doing the work, so $100k all in. Of course, I'd also need a skipjack to access my new lighthouse. I wonder what they sell for? There's only about 20 left going by a quick search. I bet they're expensive in seaworthy condition :^D

A few dollars more but you could moor your boat.

IMG_0231zzz.jpg

Chilly, windy, misty this morning.
Only 2 tee-times reserved.
Owners decided to be closed for the day.
Put in 2.5 hrs getting some "this & that" done.
Word is we'll be closing for the year on Oct. 1st...we'll see.

Just started feeling better. I haven’t been on here in a while. Turns out I have mid stage Lymes disease. The antibiotics just started working this morning.

It’s a shame that the medical professionals didn’t diagnose this and I had to tell them what I had. When I mentioned Lymes the doctor said “it’s not like you’ve been in the woods, right?” I told him that I’m always in the woods. All of the symptoms fit: headache, stiff neck, muscle pain (hurt to move, felt like soreness from heavy workout multiplied by 3), rash (non bullseye type- all over body) , temperature, and fatigue. 2 trips to the ER, one trip to family doctor and a trip to a prompt care clinic and now we’re getting better. It looks like it didn’t spread to my heart but that will get checked in a couple months. The blood test didn’t come back yet to officially confirm Lymes but I have all the symptoms and the typical antibiotic for Lymes is proving effective so………

I’m going to work tomorrow hoping that my body will allow a full day. At least I’ll have a helper. Hopefully I can start that large tree job mid next week in the evenings. It will be good to get off the couch.

Back