How'd it go today?

I got a call from a harvester, there were a bunch of trees, too big for him.
Doug fir, nice size, but 1½ hour from home.
Will have to go down tomorrow as well.
The harvester kept nosing into my work area, eventually it pissed me off enough that I dropped a big stick 9 feet from him.......SLAM!
He got the message and stayed out of reach the rest of the day.
I kept falling on my ass all day.
Not being in logging mode, I forgot to bring my caulks.
A half remembered quote from "Sometimes a great notion":
"When you're used to wearing caulks, the ground always feels slippery, when you don't!"

I can testify to that.

Had a late start because of rain. Worked up at a city reservoir in the afternoon. It’s a beautiful area. 1200 acres of barely touched water and woods. They had a storm damaged burr oak that was threatening a dike. A cut and leave job. Unfortunately we have to go back tomorrow for a large dead cherry by the entrance gate. Hoping they find a couple more to make a full day of it. Now I’m relaxing after making and eating dinner for the family. Cooling off. I might sleep in this chair tonight
69470E38-4E0F-44A1-8AD1-20A53A72BB21.jpeg

Just had an enormous moth in the house. Watched it fluttering at a lamp, and I'm wondering how it got in, and how I'm gonna get rid of it. I get up to figure out a plan, and notice my asshole cats(probably Schnookums) opened the screendoor(One question answered). Moth goes in the kitchen, and when it lands I noticed it was fairly pretty. I think it was one of these...

Catocala-habilis-M.jpg

I get it trapped against the wall in a plastic tub, and think "Now what?!" Stretch waaay out with one arm, grab a piece of paper, and slide it between the tub and the wall. 60% there. Now I've gotta get the paper and tub off the wall without leaving gaps. Kinda fold the edges of the paper around the tub, and try to hold it in place. Good thing my hands are fairly big. Managed to get it out the door without damage to anyone/thing. That's my big success for the day :^D

Located existing structures on a bridge rehab. Had to crab walk the lower flange on the beams to get out there, clipping/unclipping as I went. Slow going. Got out to first pier and realized I left my 6'rule on the abutment. They flew it out to me with the crane :^D

IMG_20220920_093755609_HDR.jpg

img_20220920_093849054_hdr-jpg.123569

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_093849054_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220920_093849054_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
By the look of the beams, the rehab went a little too hard for the first step. I believed that they would put more care to preserve what they intend to reuse.

They hammered the deck off. I have to look at the plans. I didn't think they were saving the steel, but I don't know why they left the beams in place. I was checking the spans so they could fabricate steel. Dunno if they're patching it in, or replacing all of it. I've done few rehabs, and I always find it questionable. I'd just spend the money and do a full replacement. All the dicking around it takes, you could just do it right, and be good for decades. This bridge was built in 1952.

Lighthouse is up to $120k, and they advanced the deadline. Out of my price range...

tVm5WK2.png

Not that I was serious anyway. It's way down the bottom of MD. If shore was ~15 miles from my house, then maybe a couple miles in water, I'd have given it some serious thought. I had ~$50k as a figure in my head. I'd also feel responsibility for preserving/keeping the historic value, and that's a lot of stress for something that's supposed to be fun. Oh well. It was fun thinking about living in a lighthouse for awhile...

Back