How'd it go today?

Cory it was lack of skill, dull saws, mostly just ignorance though. It’s 7 pm and I just rolled into the shop.

also Cory, at one point I think one of the guys did physically assault the spar with a skid loader

Omg ya gotta love it. From my keyboard btw. No doubt less enjoyable to witness.

Giving fake numbers on capacity is also hilarious. As I've mentioned before, my fav operator always says "you never tell tree guys your real capacity":lol::rockhard:

I have an OP like that and his advice sucks. His understudy is much better he will tell me where to cut but I tell him how I am cutting it.

I dug 1723 bricks out of 2 feet of dirt and loaded them all and had to go unload them also but I sold them for 50 cents a brick so the 2 days it took me to do it it was worth it I guess. The highlight of my day though was I aquired a 1979 Honda XL75 dirt bike. It's small but it's street legal. After messing with it a little bit I got to drive it home. Only 13 miles but it hasn't ran in 16 years so it has some issues. Still cool though 😁🤷

Well, just got woken up by something hitting the house. Went out back to meet the neighbor to discover my "specimen" oak dumped 2 of the limbs over the house into the yard. The noise was loud, and thankfully the limbs that broke appear to have just glanced the house/run off the roof, but at least one cherry also bit the dust. Willl have to see how bad it is in about 4 hours when it gets to be light out. Thankfully doesn't appear to have caused any house damage, but will confirm once able....

You're not working free though. The value is compared with prevailing local rates vs time. It's the best of a bad situation. Brian just happens to have the specialized skill needed to fix the mess. Better than being an electrician without an electric problem.

Pics of the mishap.. The one to the right in the 2nd pic is the upper one that failed and took out the lower one. Both about 40' long and 8-12"' where they broke off. Looks like I may have gotten away with only a shingle or 2 off the roof and a gutter that'll need some TLC. I was planning on removing both of these later this fall anyway, but now I'll deal with them today after I get some sleep...

oak_fail_1.jpg

oak_fail_3.jpg

oak_fail_2.jpg

You're not working free though. The value is compared with prevailing local rates vs time. It's the best of a bad situation. Brian just happens to have the specialized skill needed to fix the mess. Better than being an electrician without an electric problem.

While you're mostly correct John, it unfortunately puts me in a shitty situation with at least one customer's job that I won't be doing today, as I haven't slept since and am in no shape to climb and deal with shuttling trucks this morning. I have 3 jobs lined up through Sunday, all with time constraints (2 waiting on me for landscaping starts, another at a school over their playground area I have to deal with this weekend), so I'm going have to do some "executive maneuvers" to hopefully get one of the landscapers to hold off until next week.

That sucks Brian. And I get the situation with putting things more behind.
I had a better day. Back with my crew and the job went well up till the throttle cable broke on the mini. I was able to pull on it with some needle nose pliers to get enough power to load it. Got back and opened things up and temporarily rigged it to work. Hoping it holds till the new one comes in. Also getting all 8 of those goofy rollers for the center of the tracks and a new lift cylinder ( righty is leaky and has a slight bow). Hopefully they are in stock or quick turn around on things. I will say that this Vermeer 650tx has been a great machine. Seems like I’m fixing a lot on it lately but that’s to be expected when it has 3487 hours on it.

Have you found it to be tippy? Apparently not with all those hours, but it's what I've heard from some folks and what I experienced during a demo.

I have a 23 y o vermeer 752 which is a kick ass machine, dusted off a couple of huge sugar maple stumps today, quickly.

I imagine most minis are tippy until you learn to use one. Then tipping is just part normal operations as long as it doesn't completely tip over.

It’s a little tippy but you learn how to use it. I’m still trying to figure out how people flip these things so often. This has never been on its side unless @Fiddler knows something I don’t.

They're distracted thinking of new ways to dull chains.

I had an employee ask if I tipped my mini over. I looked at her with a straight face and asked why would I do that. I'd want my mini to upright my mini. She didn't know what to say thinking I was serious, then I winked and smiled.

The wide setting on my variable, expandable undercarriage on my Boxer is great for stability, and it steers trailers much better or wide than when I have the tracks pulled in.

Today kinda sucked, and by "kinda sucked", I mean the worst day in over decade. Had to layout phase 3 LOD on my big job near the city. 12' reeds I had to wade through...

IMG_20220929_094036567_HDR.jpg

The section this pic was taken in was the good section. I could actually swing a machete. The bad section was so dense with reeds standing and laying over, my chainsaw was more effective. My feet got hung up on vines, and I went down hard on my knees on a bunch of slag. Slammed my right knee good, and it's swollen, and hard to walk. Luckily, I did that two hours in to the day. I only had to walk on it for six hours. Would have sucked if I did that first thing...

I then proceeded to fall in to a creek, cause you literally couldn't see where you were walking, and the area's full of ravines. What I mean by "creek" is a drainage area that doesn't really drain. It just sits there, and I still smell like a swamp. I went in up to my thighs. I then fell down a dry ravine(Yay, no swamp!), but I fell head downward facing up, and I was like a turtle on it's back. I couldn't right myself with the chainsaw, machete, canteen, flags, other stuff on my belt... Guess what? I fell yet again. I was cutting some trees out in front of the gun, got tangled in vines, and fell backward pretty hard on railway ballast. Hit my head good, but my helmet took all the impact(Yay Petzl!).

After all this, my good mood was starting to waver :rollseyes: I fight my way back setting points, and I wonder why my pants are kinda falling down. Turns out my belt broke. I made an improvised repair with paracord, but I think the belt might toast. Gotta check it later. Went to the other side of the road, and it isn't a whole lot better. I cut out some trees, but one huge mass I didn't know what to do with. It was so full of vines, cutting it down would have likely made it worse with a big ol vine pile and limbs. Would have take an hour or more to break it down with a big saw, and I only had my 2511. I briefly lost my phone in that section. Boss went to lunch while I ate on site, went to check my phone, and it was gone. Only had the clip left in my belt. It was fairly easy to find though once my boss called it. I just repaired that. I use the holster from an old otterbox case, and tie to my soft case with paracord...

IMG_20220929_171938277_HDR.jpg

I think that's it. Is that it? All the usual stuff that pisses me off with this work still happened, and that alone would have been a sucky day, but it's nothing compared to the rest. Going back tomorrow I think...

I imagine most minis are tippy until you learn to use one. Then tipping is just part normal operations as long as it doesn't completely tip over.
The Dingo will tip over. Its a narrow track.
With our hills, you simply learn what can and can not be done. Usually when it has a load. Usually a rock or something starts the process. On slope. Stable as all get out otherwise.
The Massdam puller rights it quickly. Mighht have to pull the spark plug and force some of the oil from the head or let it drain down for a while.

Doh i thought the vermeer 650 tx was a tracked stumper, not a mini

Back