How'd it go today?

I had an idea for a device that could possibly get through a tight junction, but so far my prototypes just keep getting stuck.

Didn't someone take one of the water hammer arrestor, 1/2" copper tubes, removed the base, and drilled a small hole in the domed top, smoothed all edges to create a product like that?
I think that is what Javier in San Diego and others use to get lines through palm fronds.

1663416406196.png

I had an idea for a device that could possibly get through a tight junction, but so far my prototypes just keep getting stuck.

Didn't someone take one of the water hammer arrestor, 1/2" copper tubes, removed the base, and drilled a small hole in the domed top, smoothed all edges to create a product like that?
I think that is what Javier in San Diego and others use to get lines through palm fronds.

View attachment 123481
If I had the skills, I wanted to Try one from nylon. Shape it like a bullet and call it the rope or crotch bullet. I feel it might work. Keep it small. But be able to sleeve the tip on up to 1/2 rope in the end. Probably 3/8 -1/2" deep. About an 1-1/2 " long.

Went to bed about 9 last night...Sister calls at 1030 to tell me a car had parked on the street 3 doors :|:

Couldn't get back to sleep, so read for a bit then tried it again. Woke up to the phone again at 1am...buddy was out touring w/band and called from hotel in Montana.

Just ended up staying up until time for work.

Luckily had a short 2hr day this morning. Would have been longer but it's special kiddie hunting days for whitetails this weekend, so I opted to stay out of the woods near the conservation/beer swigging club.

If I had the skills, I wanted to Try one from nylon. Shape it like a bullet and call it the rope or crotch bullet. I feel it might work. Keep it small. But be able to sleeve the tip on up to 1/2 rope in the end. Probably 3/8 -1/2" deep. About an 1-1/2 " long.
Maybe a suitable plastic cigar tube would work. It would be cheap and accessible enough to try.

edit:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Doob-Tube-Vials-Pack-Smell-Proof/dp/B07MVRYC5T/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=plastic+cigar+tube&qid=1663426168&sr=8-6

?

Last edited:
Not asking with distain: Why are we trying to get our rope through an ultra tight crotch like that anyway? I’ve only had one situation (out of maybe 250ish so far- not very many, I know) where I couldn’t get the rope through a tight crotch and decided at that point, I’d take another shot. I find it easiest to remove the bag and tie the throw line to the climb line leaving about 2’ of tail.

The bullet tip thing would work only if there's enougth room to allow the rope and the thing to pass just over the thowline's way, like a "sharp" edge on a open crotch, some ridges on a rougth bark or small diameter limbs but open crotch. In a pinched fork with included bark, as the black loccust loves to do, no way the rope can pass through, with bullet tip or not. It's like wanting to get your rope in a key hole or under a door. The throwline should rize up several inches up to come in a wide enougth gap. No way you can do it by pulling it from the ground. At the bottom, the gap can be soo tight that even the throwline itself can be stuck just by wedging inbetween the two barks.

Four days left, and the lighthouse is only $17k. Can hardly buy a used truck for that...

A9ei6vN.png

The bullet tip thing would work only if there's enougth room to allow the rope and the thing to pass just over the thowline's way, like a "sharp" edge on a open crotch, some ridges on a rougth bark or small diameter limbs but open crotch. In a pinched fork with included bark, as the black loccust loves to do, no way the rope can pass through, with bullet tip or not. It's like wanting to get your rope in a key hole or under a door. The throwline should rize up several inches up to come in a wide enougth gap. No way you can do it by pulling it from the ground. At the bottom, the gap can be soo tight that even the throwline itself can be stuck just by wedging inbetween the two barks.
Throw line threads through a hole in the tip of the bullet. Runs through middle of bullet to rope behind bullet. Climb rope nestled into the hollowed out rear of bullet just deep enough to hide both throw line and rope end.
I am out of crayons.

Another idea that sounds wonderful in theory but isn't practical in the field. As Marc said, when you find yourself in that situation once every couple years, just pull it out and reshoot it. One of the few exceptions would be palm trees, and they aren't really trees anyway. Just spike them like everybody else.

Throw line threads through a hole in the tip of the bullet. Runs through middle of bullet to rope behind bullet. Climb rope nestled into the hollowed out rear of bullet just deep enough to hide both throw line and rope end.
I am out of crayons.
Yes, that's exactly how I figure it would be done... and acts like I said.
It's the same principle as the logging cone put on the nose of a log for the small winch. Great to drag on the ground and avoidind the butt to dig in the dirt, nice to glance against a stump but totaly useless to pull through a clump of trees or just between two trees close by less than the log's diameter (or more like the cone diameter). You can always choose the trajectory of the winch's cable when you set it, but not so much with the throwline if it ends in a tight crotch.

I'm excited. New wiring in my shop with new lighting, both interior shop lighting and remote-control/ motion detector outdoor flood lighting, and a lot more outlets. Much more user-friendly! Backing the truck off the road, around the corner of the building with a trailer will be much easier with good lighting, once again.

Have a bunch of doug-fir siding going to someone in the morning. Next, to offload some cedar.

There is a demo Rima Manufacturing mill for sale for $4500 nearby that is tempting. I have a bunch of fir logs to saw up. I'm thinking about winter's short days. It seems to sprinkle until about 4pm, many days, then stopping for the evening. I could do it under cover, sawing up lumber for an outbuilding, however having a 20' bed doesn't saw a header for a doorway to allow 20' logs. Funny that way. I guess a 20' track may not be the cutting length.

Just got my largest job to date. Can be completed at my availability. One of the big companies trimmed all the tip die back + on a Norway maple. It has more die back now. Showed the customer all the root girdling and recommended removal because it will die no matter what. There was another tree (walnut) that she asked a big boy to remove because she thought it was dying due to 2 upper limbs being snapped. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the tree. Once I told her it could be cleaned up and she could keep it, she was happy. Lots of deadwooding on various trees as well.

Didn't do much today. Got some groceries, and cut up some wood. I also cleaned up my cs400. I've neglected it, and it had a lot of crud caked under the cover. When I 'go out to cut', I usually clean everything when I'm finished, but I had been on a long string of quick cuts, and just stuck it back in the case as-is. Feels good to get all the junk out of it.

Loaded up and drove an hour to my cousins this morning. Removed a beanpole of a cherry that he killed when he raised grade for his pole barn. Had to have him run the rope for the top. Wasn’t a violent shake but man did I take a ride. Reminded me of Reg’s tall fir wobble. Then I ground out the stump. In the afternoon I stripped out two dead white oaks that were threatening the power lines going up the lane. The wife and kids visited while I worked. Drove home and now I’m trying to decide if I want to accomplish anything around here or just relax. Since I’m on my phone it appears option B is winning

Back