How'd it go today?

Not in my 30 plus years up here. It seems the bays and harbors with fresh water streams flowing into them are most prone to freeze.

Last edited:
Just about dead center, no? They're cool sounding birds. Never heard one in person, but a radio segment(Bird Note) did short article on them one day, and I got on a kick of listening to loon calls on youtube.

Crazy!

There are a lot of loons on 'our ' Echo Lake in Fayette ME, ayuh.

Heard a sound earlier. I /think/ the cat moved a big metal tin. That weirded out her brother, which weirded her out, which weirded me out in turn. Everyone's looking around thinking "WTF was that?!". Idiots... :^D Alternately, something could be in the basement. Kinda sounded like it came from that direction, but it's hard to say, and since Mamas was at the big ass tin, I'm thinking it was her.

Really pretty out tonight. I sat outside for a little bit. I wish there wasn't so much light pollution out here. Good night for star viewing.

Is that really good money for that tree?

Looks like stuff beneath, but with tons of useful rigging points.

What is your disposal cost on something like that?

I can get all of the chippable limbs off and chipped in about half a day. Then use a crane to pick the big stuff up and set it down next to the road for the grapple truck.

Ugh... Boss just came in said he isn't working today; sick... He was coughing like an idiot last week. Good odds for covid. Glad I have an A++ immune system. Now I need to figure out what I'm doing with my day. Dragging logs is a drag(hah!), but I might do that. They aren't gonna move themselves...

If it was me I’d plant another post mid way back on the end walls (Red) and run a header (Green) between them. The front and back header I would triple up on, a three ply header. (Blue) In the center of the middle header I’d put a removable post (Yellow) to be put in place in the winter for snow load, it could be permanent if it isn’t in the way. Those roof joists being spliced are a weak point. You being in CT = snow hence the middle header. All headers should be double if not triple.

DB017720-2DF8-40B1-BACD-74CC5385D26E.png

Worked on my project for a few hours. I just did stuff I could move under my own power. Setting up the haul system's a hassle. Gave the tongs a good workout. Good purchase. I don't consider them as indispensable as the sappie, but I'm glad I got them. Spent a fair amount of time just wandering around the lot thinking "WTH am I gonna do with all this?", and cut some vines with my knife that I missed over summer. What I really want to do is climb the pines, and get the dead vines/wood out of them, but that'll be for dessert. Not much point in manicuring trees when there's a shitshow going on the ground.

Hang on, Jerry!

Was backfilling stump grinding holes today and backed into a hole on the loader while spinning the steering wheel knob. Jerked my shoulder bad and now I can barely lift my arm. Feels like my other shoulder when I tore my rotator cuff 3 years ago. It's been tender for a week or two from working on my truck but now it's bad. Hope it feels better in the morning.

30 to 60 miles off shore of the Cape It's part of the Mendocino fracture zone. Easily a hundred quakes a year come from there, that you can feel anyway, and many more you can't.

It's the norm really, but this one actually got the house rocking and talking.

Good luck with the shoulder, Brian. I tore my rotator a few weeks ago trying to start the wood splitter. Can't get comfortable in bed. Ruining my sleep.

I didn't know that the steering wheel can get a feed back from the hydraulic cylinder. With a mechanical link, yes, but it's a surprise to me with hydraulic.

Back