How'd it go today?

Spent about five hours doing gradesheets today for what would have been <1hr on a job done by competent engineers. It was actually longer than that for 'ass in seat' time, but some of that was drinking coffee, aimlessly scrolling forum pages, and pondering how much my life sucks.

Stupid web pages using roughly 250 megabytes or more...

Remember when 20MP images were huge at 5-10MB? Now a simple web page on Chrome uses 200-500MB!! I was only shopping on Lowes, not visiting news websites with tons of video ads, sheesh!!! Tree houser quote thread was only 50-80Mb.

Got back in time to find two good-sized, detached doug- fir limbs perched horizontally in the canopy over parking spots and shop skylights. One limb already poked a hole in the roof at my GF's and got my van windshield.

Secured before dark. Couldn't fight them out quickly.
She can rig them and dice them apart this week. An adventure!
Her older daughter may climb up with us to watch. Maybe the 9ers, too.

Ha! I made it here!...I think I'm here...have no idea how I accomplished it or if I can again.

Power went down for a day & night last Friday. When it surged back on it fired my modem (big time sparks) and screwed up a bunch of things on my computer. New modem was installed today.
Completely lost use of two browsers, clock was set to 2001, etc.; keep getting messages saying things aren't certified or something. Using a 2008 version of Explorer right now (ughh!)

Bought new computer using Sister's unit at her place, site said in stock, order completed, pickup scheduled, money transferred...now out of stock & money held...I'm now pissed after several hours of calls with no joyful outcome.

Did some dumb shit, and took a couple naps at work. Being inside wore me out yesterday, and I went to bed a little early. I woke up at 2:30 this morning, and only got back to sleep right before I had to get up. Hit [snooze] a couple extra times, but I was still pretty low on sleep. Pretty lame day all around.

edit:
Oh, I got a fire ready for Sunday maybe. Supposed to get some rain, but it's been so dry lately, I've been burning the exposed wood in the backyard. Figured I'd get one last stove load in before it gets wet. Makes my porch wood last longer. Anyway, I saw Spot outside, and pet her before I got wood. I was getting ready to bring it in, and she looked like she was eating a snack. She kinda was. She puked, and was eating some of the puked cat food D^: But what was cool, was there was a mouse carcass in the puke also, which pleases me. That's the pragmatic reason I feed outside cats(pretty much limited to Spot and sometimes Blackie at this point). I also like seeing her(them) showup in the morning, but the reduction of mice in the house is noticeable. Her jul gift will be a nighttime feeding on Christmas eve. I only feed them in the morning, so it'll be special(ish), but I'm not the only one that feeds her.

Last edited:
Pretty big lapse in judgment on a tree’s lean and center of gravity along with wrong wind direction today. Dead ash, had a line set and a 5:1 on it with my friend pulling. It set back hard on my bar, and I had to run to put on a 3:1 with progress capture to pull on the 5:1. That did it. For a moment I thought I was gonna lose my MS-441C, and I was kinda resigned to it, so long as I didn’t wipe out a primary and possibly the road.
We snugged it up with the MA and I was able to go get my hinge a little thinner and get my saw out, then go help him pull it over.
Very glad I brought so much rope, pulleys and biners.

Neat pattern from my saw chain rivets got pressed into the butt.
501577BD-6480-46A3-9447-6CA3F1D4F54E.jpeg

Bar was trapped before wedges, was able to get two wedges in the kerf a little, then they refused to be driven more. The wedges sounded different when struck, and the axe was almost bouncing right back.
The lift from the wedges wouldn’t have been enough to tip the tree, but I thought I’d get my saw back.

Should a feller have a back-cut close before a wedge was inserted, it's possible to carefully bore-cut into the closed back-cut to make a wedge pocket. You can drive it open sometimes.

As a person would put tape on a drill bit to indicate a stop-depth, so too could a feller on their bar can mark their bar, should the marketing department's signage down the side of the bar not have a good landmark visibly available.

Also, should you need greater depth of wedge pocket than a trapped bar will allow, bore-cut in slightly upward from the rear of the tree toward the hinge, above the trapped bar.

Broken wedge butts have a use here. IME wedges break off with a beefy enough butt for use in odd situations like this, and stacking wedges.

Pretty big lapse in judgment on a tree’s lean and center of gravity along with wrong wind direction today. Dead ash, had a line set and a 5:1 on it with my friend pulling. It set back hard on my bar, and I had to run to put on a 3:1 with progress capture to pull on the 5:1. That did it. For a moment I thought I was gonna lose my MS-441C, and I was kinda resigned to it, so long as I didn’t wipe out a primary and possibly the road.
We snugged it up with the MA and I was able to go get my hinge a little thinner and get my saw out, then go help him pull it over.
Very glad I brought so much rope, pulleys and biners.

Neat pattern from my saw chain rivets got pressed into the butt.
View attachment 116794
I had that happen to me recently with a good-sized, root plate-lifted Doug-fir that was leaning on another good sized, and nearly dead doug-fir. I was boring and reaming, until i poked out of the far side of the trunk, and it sat down tight. Power head was taken off, and did some chain-near-chain cutting with another saw.

Back