How'd it go today?

That sounds like a frustrating result, hope you get it figured out soon! Also, I love the word sqwicky, going to remember that one.

put the new one in and rebuild the old one for the next time. Works in theory but at work we never get around to repairing the old.
Had a late start because of rain this morning. Still raining when we got to the job. Sat in the truck for another hour. I was spurring up a bean pole cherry tree when the rain stopped. I swear the minute it quit the wind moved in and the temp dropped 20*F. Started a 55 and ended at 31. Miserable and cold, I called it at 3:00 pm. Still trying to get the chill out of me. Winds are supposed to subside over night and I’ll be starting the day tomorrow at 20*F. Nothing but fun. It still was a good day.

Back to the Arborplex discussion: Look what I found cleaning out the chainsaw graveyard at my old place (sale was final while I was in California and the new owners have been very patient while I get my crap out of here).
That first and last piece of Arborplex and old boots, saddle, and Manila from the Golden Days. FD33BD75-E0F5-4B95-908E-A3567C8BC9B7.jpeg C100B87E-A2A0-4989-971C-CC95D21EB231.jpeg F328FCE6-6E3E-4FA0-8026-45325D0F1280.jpeg

Great pictures. I have two hanks of manila just like that. Love the smell.

I had a similar lanyard. At least once I had a rope running across my lap in the tree to pull up gear or something. I hated when the snaps would open as the rope ran across...heeby-jeebies. I didn't let that happen often. I was thrilled when snaps came out that you had to squeeze before they would open.

Check the chainsaw graveyard!
I see a fiskars pole pruner there too...
I worked in the rain yesterday :/: a couple hrs to cut two largish broken limbs from a liquidambar. Will be back later to remove it, once the telecoms/NBN wire is moved.

I was on a pretty interesting job today. Guy was a bit of a tree collector. He particularly liked Japanese cedar. I saw my first American larch, and he had some weird natural hybrid spruce that came from the wild in West Virginia. The weirdest one I saw I think was araucaria araucana. Petals coming from the stem, and triangular leaves all over. Crazy looking tree.

What size and type engine Marc?
It's a 4 strokes gas engine, horizontal shaft, 2 cylinders in V, 18 hp from Köhler.
My biggest small engine !
The new one is ordered. I was tempted to upgrade the power, maybe at 25 hp, but I feared that the design/making of the chipper couldn't handle it long term.

Last edited:
Who is old enough to remember what that clip on the handsaw scabbard is for? I can tell that one was never used for its original purpose.
I have the exact same handsaw and scabbard in my shop. And old razor tooth Corona, big sucka. It did me yeoman duty for many years.

Brian, The graveyard is the reparable ones. I have jug and piston for the 281, and several are tied together as the parts needed for one are in the other. The 2100CD likely just needs the carb rebuilt. That is my ‘retirement’ work.

That scabbard was from after the ‘paint-every-cut’ era. The old ones that had the arc-shaped score mark from the paint pot got tossed when the stitching wore out, the rivets pulled through, and the edge got cut from a million times in and out with a saw…

Wrecked a couple maple stems.
Pulled the alternator belt off the mini, needing a new, shorter one. Put an alternator in my pickup, plus LOF.

Avoided the rain.

Dark o'clock was new hi- viz soft shell o'clock.
Got some boot grease... soaking in by the fire.

Attachments

• 20211208_152858.jpg
    20211208_152858.jpg
    903.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Laid out a bunch of road today. Barely had enough stakes. I thought I was gonna have to make some on-site. 30s, but sunny out. Started getting hot, and had to take off most of my stuff. Clouded up later which was perfect. Thought I was gonna have to spend a lot of time making grade sheets tonight, but it ended up being really easy. If I learned spreadsheets better, it would have been even easier.

My Husky tongs came today. Looking forward to trying them out. Just playing with them on some firewood in the house, I'm not completely sure I get it. They don't grip real tight. They're a little stiff, so I'm hoping some oil, and using them on the big wood I got them for will make them work better.

Back