How'd it go today?

Some of both, and lost a lot of strength in those seven weeks. Which a lot of the perceived loss of strength in the right arm is merely the body saying NO when too much is asked of it is my thinking…to prevent further damage.
Yes, that's a direct turn down of the brain's orders by a short control circuit at the spinal chord. The brain can't do nothing about it. Until the nervous cells owning the sensitive nerves begin to report that the situation has improved sufficiently and loose their inhibition on the motor nerves.
Amazing machine !

Last edited:
I don't seem to get cold climbing or doing saw work, at least for what I've done so far. I've climbed at freezing, and cut wood in the 20s, and I thought it was great. If I don't start work shivering, I'm gonna be way too hot when I start.

Went to the city job today. They're gutting the falling house, and we had to take some measurements. Sounds like they're gonna use a lot of the same materials putting it back. A cool skylight/cupola/something...

20211123_110329.jpg

A 4th floor room. Servants quarters? Tiny room, but it was setup for habitation. Cool fireplace with tiles...

20211123_110722.jpg

The first floor was out of level enough to make me feel off balance. It didn't look tilted enough to say "frig no!" looking at it, but you could feel it when you walked.

edit:
Oh, and I forgot to bring my climbing stuff home from work. I'm gonna have to stop by the office some time, cause there's some stuff I want to do this weekend. I'm taking the rest of the week off.

Last edited:
It's my off day today. The guys decided to leave the diesel bucket truck in the customer's yard overnight. Did they realize it would be 24degF this morning? I'm glad I'm home, that truck is hard enough to start in warm weather.

I hate it when guys up near the Arctic Circle complain about the cold. You could move down here near the equator...sissy.

Oh, wait...I complain about the cold, too! Never mind. I use the Atlas Therma-Fit...they help but when it's really cold here...30's and below...I am whining with the Therma-Fits, too.
Have you ever complained about the heat? Stone and glass houses and all that. ✌️

D674B4D6-2F2D-4B23-9EE1-99362C32DA6C.jpeg
These are by far my favorite. I have driven a porty many miles with these. They have a much longer wrist than most other gloves including Atlas. Running ropes I’d get about two weeks out of them. Nice and waterproof for a few hard uses but still insulate when wet. And still work well after the rubber is burned off.

I've been climbing on Hardy Mechanics gloves for 2+ yrs. now; finger pads so I can deal w/email/txt msgs without taking them off. Cold doesn't really bother me, but wet does (and as Jonny knows, we have that wicked, moist cold up here that can make it extra painful). I'll have to give those Pfanners a try Rich; look promising.

Fair point, Jonny :D.

You could try the chem heat packs. Activated and slipped inside a regular glove ( I liked the palm side, but some climbers I know preferred on the back of the hand). Either way, 5 or so hours of heat really helped me with hand function, when the rest of my climbing world was frigid nasty.

Blew more leaves today...think I'm done finally. Happy I got them all up before it snowed this year.

Got a call today...my good friend Charley who I've been helping on his farm from time to time the last few years, passed away from cancer on Monday.

No more pain is a good thing I guess. Glad he got to go at home.

I like the Ninja Ice gloves too. Didn't need them much this winter though.
Someone gave me a tip early on when we moved to a country with winter, to put my gloves on the windscreen defrost vent while driving to work. Makes them nice and toasty!
I find putting cold gloves on sucks all the heat out of my hands, just to warm up the inside of the gloves, so you are starting from a deficit to try and have warm hands.

I like the Ninja Ice gloves too. Didn't need them much this winter though.
Someone gave me a tip early on when we moved to a country with winter, to put my gloves on the windscreen defrost vent while driving to work. Makes them nice and toasty!
I find putting cold gloves on sucks all the heat out of my hands, just to warm up the inside of the gloves, so you are starting from a deficit to try and have warm hands.
We dry our gloves that way in between jobs or lunch run chip dump run. Another tip is to not let damp gloves get cold. Take them off and stick them in your pockets in your bibs if you are wearing any.
Spare pairs are key for really wet weather.

I’m so sorry man, my deepest sympathies to his family and friends. I hate cancer so much. It just takes beautiful, strong, healthy people and makes them the weakest husk of their former selves before finally taking them.
One day we’ll beat it, I believe.

Back