How'd it go today?

Being excellent at social distancing I’ve been able to be at work for the most part this week. With the comms, I can supervise from a distance. Today I ran the crane to remove the spar from yesterday. Only 8 picks. Pretty easy but kind of a tight spot for a crane. Lots of service lines to avoid all around. Good for 11,600 but kept it all light.
On the home front things seem to be on the up swing. Not out of it yet but getting better

You still renting a crane or did you buy?

How do you like running it?

@cory. We are still using subs for most of the crane work but we did buy a grove 40 ton. She ain’t the prettiest and is shorter than I’d like but it’ll still get some work done. I’m still getting used to it, so slower than I’d like, but getting better at it.
@FireFighterZero
Kids are doing well. They basically got a bad cold for a few days. Wifey was rough for a few days but is improving slowly. I’m just working through it. Been pumping the vitamins and keeping hydrated while still working and taking care of the house stuff.

Ordered some rope today for probably the dumbest reason ever. I was looking at throw weights for my apta on amazon, and didn't like the prices, so I checked out Wesspur, and noticed they were giving away a Bifröst Tshirt with any Yale rope purchase, so I got some XTC. I really like that Tshirt :^D I've been kinda wanting a longer length of 16strand anyway. I'd have otherwise probably gotten Arbormaster, but the XTC works too.

asgard.jpg

Ah, now I see.

Bifrost ( Not Bifröst, they probably just put the umlaut in to look fancy) is the rainbow that goes between the land of the living and Valhal.
It is guarded by Heimdal, the same God who whispers in the ear of every newborn, what their occupation/role in life will be.

I believe he said brokhoved in mine.

(Ornery complainer, to those not fluent in Norse).

I don't want to get in an argument with a Dane regarding his own language, but?

edit:
Picking various languages, the umlaut seems to showup mostly in English and German. Germanic variant?

Last edited:
Do I really need another rope🤔
Since it’s pissing down rain today I might spend some time trying to relearn how to splice stablebraid. I’ve got 135’ of 1/2” that I found in the bargain bin at my local supply shop. I really should splice up some tenex slings for work first. We shall see. I might spend the day by the wood burner.

I don't want to get in an argument with a Dane regarding his own language, but?

edit:
Picking various languages, the umlaut seems to showup mostly in English and German. Germanic variant?

Moot question, really.

They didn't write in the latin letters back then.

So we are probably both right.

It was this in runes: ᛒᛁᚠᚱᛟᛋᛏ

Rich, awesome you have a crane! Boom length? 40t is a nice size.

@cory
It’s a stubby one. Only 94’ of main and no jib. Pretty decent chart though. Just not tall enough. The LMI / anti2 block cable is external and that I’m sure will give me a headache eventually. Learning as I go. Got my cert to run it but that doesn’t mean I know what I’m doing. Plan is to learn on this one and upgrade in two years.

Pulled the boat for the year... always sad but a relief not to have to babysit it during the winter. Been getting some snow so it's time. Took it out for a spin to charge up the battery and check out what was happening at the old mill site. New construction/ salvage company bought some of the waterfront. They are hauling and loading up a bunch of metal scrap from the dump for recycling. Big ass drop ramp barge pulling in for some more loading. IMG_20211121_132054_HDR.jpg IMG_20211121_132059_HDR.jpg

Kinda sad to see the old mill site nowadays...at it's peak they processed 100 million board feet a year. Times change I guess.

Last edited:
Why'd the mill close- they run out of raw material or did the economics change?

Back