How'd it go today?

Snorkeling in the Bahamas once. Go down, hang out underwater, come up...first thing you do is blow hard thru the snorkel to clear it of water. That lets you take the next breath that you really want by that time. After a deep, long dive I surfaced, cleared the snorkel and took a quick, deep long breath...just sucking down that good old air. Apparently, a big horsefly decided to land on my snorkel as I took that quick inhale. Yep. Mouthful of Bahamian horsefly. Didn't get stung...they don't sting. But talk about a weird sensation, inhaling a horsefly. Pretty impressive how all of a sudden you don't give a sh*t about breathing...spitting takes over. And my buddy, Johnny, thought I had lost my mind, of course.

Last delivery of firewood to Middle Ridge recreation cabin before it is totally snowed in and only accessible by snow machine. We caught someone who had poached the cabin without renting it as well.

Pictures are a bit slow to load, sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_140330_MP.jpg
    15.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211117_140408_MP.jpg
    12.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211117_140417_MP.jpg
    12.8 MB · Views: 17
Got stung on the neck by a yellow jacket. Warmed up just enough for the evil bastards to get mobile again.
Was just sitting on my back patio minding my own business and suddenly ouchie. Dirty little fuckers.
View attachment 116060
I executed your revenge. I was cutting up the last little bit of logs I had at the shop and saw one that I promptly cut in half with the saw.

Gary, how'd the horsefly not go into your lungs?:\:

Austin, looks like an amazing spot. Was there a 'penalty' for the squatters? Is there a lock on the door?

There is a way you hold your tongue when you inhale like that..usually, some water comes along with the air on that first inhale after the clearing breath (forceful exhalation). The way you hold your tongue on the inhale kind of blocks the water but the air goes around that obstacle. It stopped the horsefly, too. Until you learn how to do the tongue block (and I have not seen it talked about before or had it described really) you can get a bit choked/strangled

@cory I passed the info over to our LEO here at the district. He will follow up on it, but I didn't recognize the individual. No locks on our recreation cabin doors since it would be too hard to manage for the public access. They are also used in emergency situations as well.

Cool.
I'm embarrased to have to ask.............species?

The tree, of course.

Started in a steady cold rain this morning. Wrapped up the first crane job by 10 am and headed for one the boss “looked at” 45 minutes north. Would’ve been a nice job but had no room to set up. Ended up driving back south and did 6 removals between 60 and 95 feet of radius. Good for two grand at the longer radius. Nothing big or fancy. Just boring old crane work😉.
In other news the virus has hit my home so pretty sure I’ll be off for a bit. I can stay isolated at work for the most part though so maybe not

Sorry to read that Rich. Best of luck with it.

Got called in today to help the boss while he drug the trees I cut down off the course with a tractor. Ground was too wet, had to cut into smaller pieces, tore up some turf...started snowing horizontally & dept getting heavier and heavier.

The more it snowed the more the boss talked of letting it all set until spring.

Ended up with only 1/2 a tree drug 1/2 way to where it was supposed to go and he couldn't pull it further so I had to cut it up, drag it off the fairway and dice up.

Glad I wore my coveralls today...only 3 hours in all, but it was pretty chilly in the wind up on the hill.

Best of luck Rich.

I was actually cold today. Last job was shooting topo in a bean field, and it had clouded over at that point, so with the wind it was pretty chilly. Got halfway done and put on a wool vest. Helped a lot. Worked late yesterday on the same job. We got all the topo done in about 8hr total. It would have been a few days except I suggested using the tracker on the gun to aim it automatically. It's the remnants of my robot, and I only use it on special occasions. I don't want the last bits to break, so I save it for when it's really useful.

That's why I get paid the big bucks. When a miracle is needed, I can sometimes conjure miracles ;^)

Back