How'd it go today?

Very nice. That looks pretty quick. I haven't run my 362 in awhile to gauge the difference well. What do you think? Is that a good setup for production cutting?

Found this in the scrap metal can on the farm today... 20210914_145105.jpg

Handle was hanging out of the housing. Seemed promising. Got it up to the office, ate lunch, then tore into it. I loosened up the screw holding the recoil, and that got the cord back into the housing. Then I tried starting it. Started up, but chain wouldn't turn. Took the clutch over off, cleaned dumpster crud out and sprayed it with wd40, put it back together, and... still won't work. Take it apart again, and examine everything. There was buildup on the outside of the clutch drum, and that appeared to be hanging up on the chainbrake. Filed the crud and corrosion off the drum, put it back together, and the chain spins now, but it doesn't like to run...

Screw around with it some more, and play with the jets, and the cord hangs up again. Take it apart and loosen it a touch more. Take advantage of the cover being off for a good look at the carb. High needle is missing... Turn it upside down and shake it, and the needle falls out. Put that back in, turn everything in, then back out 1.5 times, put it all back together, and it sorta runs. I don't have a good ear for tuning, but it doesn't sound too bad at WOT. Problem is it won't go back to idle right away, and the idle adjust is turned all the way in. Not sure what's up with that. Maybe an air leak, but it doesn't feel like it to me. I still need to put it in wood, but I'm gonna try to 'drive it clean', and hope it straightens out with decent gas, and decent care.

Doesn't appear to have had much use. I took the muffler off and the piston looked good. Has a trilink chain on it, and I'm guessing that's it's second chain judging by wear. I don't think they even completely wore out the first chain. That trilink is a pos, but seems suitable for the saw. 2017 build date. If it straightens out, it'll make a good office saw with a little more ass than the 42cc poulanpro I already have. It's at least worth what I paid for it, and hopefully a bit more.

I think it was a matter of back- chaining off a limb, with the base log in the path.

@No_Bivy
Andrei (spelling?), uses a language translator that might not understand 'skeered' and other slang.

Took down a medium sized silver maple over a house and a small birch. GRCS for the win! Stood up and tip tied with butt line control perfection I tell ya. We had an audience of two young boys and their granny. Just as they were leaving I told them to stop as I was about to send a large top and the boys would get a kick out of seeing it. Hooking the future generation of arbor culture.

Started a 2 day major prune/takedown combo yesterday for a repeat customer who's reclaiming the backyard of new house purchased. We had major rain overnight and the backyard was flooded, so had arborist interruptus and needed to wrassle up a different custy. Got the green light on a friend's job who had a bunch of easy takedowns (at least that;'s how they looked). Seven skinny 20 - 40 ft. Sugar Maples along the parking area (dropping sap/resin on cars; NFG), a ~85 ft. Shagbark Hickory in the same area (nuts have already cracked one windshield) and 2 declining 35 - 45 ft. White Pines in the back yard just outside the new pool/landscaping border. Did the Maples and the Pines today, as I need a 3rd guy for some of the limbs/stem wood on the Hickory, and am down to one brush monkey for now. And wouldn't you know it, the Pines (which I hate enough already) were smothered in vines coming from 4 different locations! I swear, I've gotten at least one cluster-f'd, vine covered tree every month this year. Was able to make fairly quick work of these 2 (one was so bad, it used to be 55 ft, now down to 35 ft due to the vines choking/snapping the top off; had all kinds of fun freeing that up in the air). Had to log cart everything out due to wet yard and bad angles for the Dingo. Did 9 trips of limbs and stem wood, at least half of which was vines (and doesn't count the dozens of smaller pieces that I ripped/cut out and tossed over my shoulder into the woods). Pic below of me up in the 45 footer after stripping out limbs, vines and top.

moy_pine.jpg

I'm seriously considering changing my company name (or at least my trade name) to "Vine Helsing - Ivy Slayer"...

Last edited:
I met a nice, humble, younger (30's) climber right near me, gone out on his own after a couple ventures with other companies for about 6 years.

Had him over to my house for a second hangout.

I lent him my non-autographed FOGT.

He's come into having an 8k excavator , but his trucks don't have the oomph, nor does he have a 10K trailer. I have both.

Could turn into a nice friendship/ work relationship.

Sounds good...take some picts if y'all use the ex for treework. Alex and I have job lined up in his neighborhood...plan to limb then drop a 50 ft poplar, some big oak limbs over HO driveway and a dead 30' spar. Looking at getting a 6 yd roll-off and using our excavator to move the wood into the roll-off. We will probably try using the ex to feed the chipper. Learning curve ahead.

Sounds good...take some picts if y'all use the ex for treework. Alex and I have job lined up in his neighborhood...plan to limb then drop a 50 ft poplar, some big oak limbs over HO driveway and a dead 30' spar. Looking at getting a 6 yd roll-off and using our excavator to move the wood into the roll-off. We will probably try using the ex to feed the chipper. Learning curve ahead.

Has it got a thumb?

One more little tip, the most powerful operation on an excavator is the bucket curl, so when you are grabbing stuff be gentle. If it's a hydraulic thumb use the thumb to meet the bucket, and then don't curl the bucket. I snapped the mounts on my mechanical thumb by being a bit too aggressive trying to smash a limb by curling.

Different silos? I was trying to make out what it was, but couldn't tell when I blew it up. First pic looks like bigger material than the second.

Heya Jim, I heard Biden was bitching about beef prices, and saying middlemen were taken a bigger cut, and the profit wasn't trickling down(does it ever?) to farmers. Have you noticed anything different in recent months?

Back