How'd it go today?

We finally finished logging down south yesterday.
Cut the last tree about ½ an hour before the rains set in.
Now I hope they can get the wood out before it gets too muddy.

It feels great to have it over with, I'm beat to shit, honestly.
Leukemia, chemo and a busted knee in some of the worst terrain this otherwise flat country can come up with.
I've been fantasizing about retirement every day.
This was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

Between the 2 of us we've put , in my estimate, close to 1000 cubic meters on the ground the last month, which, as those members who log Beech, like Pete Mctree, can tell you, is a nice figure.

It was nice to work with Anders, my former apprentice.
He hasn't worked as a faller for 10 years, so the first 2 weeks were Hell for him.
He kept making new holes in his tool belt and eventually got so up to speed that we decided to just split the take 50/50.
It was fine for me to see, how good he still is.
Like he said: the old idiot who taught him, must have done it right.

I really like him as a person, and it was fine to fill the lunch break with : Remember back when?" about climbing Sequoias and Redwoods together.

Now I'm just waiting for the wood to be forwarded so I can send the bill.

It feels great to have it over with, I'm beat to shit, honestly.
Leukemia, chemo and a busted knee in some of the worst terrain this otherwise flat country can come up with.

This was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

Yeah, pain basically doubles the fatigue of exercise, imo.

Nope.
The forrester will scale it.
I have never in my 45 years of logging come across one that didn't do it accurately.

See, the number I get paid for, is the number the mills or in this case, exporters, buy.
So they better be the same or someone's career just went down the drain.

I just keep a tally in my head and usually I'm no more than 10% off.
It is quite simple, watch how much fuel gets used and you know how much wood is on the ground.

Sweden has done away with this system.
They have State controlled people, who measure and grade all wood, eliminating the middle man/woman between forest districts and buyers.

I think that is over complicating something that is quite simple, as long as we can trust each other.

Which we can, here.

You working like that that close to doing chemo is incredible. I still am not even close to what i once was, coming home after working as a fitter (only 8 hours even) and I'm done for the day once i get home. You are an absolute beast of a man sir.

Yeah, pain basically doubles the fatigue of exercise, imo.

Chemo does way more than that.
Totally saps you for energy.
Fortunately I'm done with that for now.
Had my last treatment 2 weeks ago.
Now I just got to take the pills and inject myself with something to counter the side effects of those pills for another ½ a year.

Then the leukemia should be laid to rest for 5-7 years ( Huge smiley).

I'm really looking forward to the end of the pill treatment.
Get some energy back and no longer shit 16 times a day.

I hate paperwork :^( Ten pages, eh? I guess I can do that, but a videoed field trial would probably be better. Not a fan of taking video either, but it beats typing, and I'd at least get to cut some trees. Getting backlogged on the farm. I have a good variety to choose from.

I studied Dent's crypto stump illustrations enough times to where I could actually understand them. But without the descriptions along-side them it would have been like deciphering the Rosetta Stone.

Dent was a big influence on how I drew the stumps illustrations in the original Fundamentals. Which I noticed Patrick modified a little in the latest printing.

I've got a paper copy of The Fundamentals coming my way soon too. Looking forward to it. I already had the electronic copy, but it isn't as nice to thumb through as paper. Less enjoyment, ya know? I use the electronic version more as a technical reference, where I kinda know what I'm looking for, and want to see what you said about it. A paper copy is more enjoyable to hold and read, and just flip to a random section and read through.

My buddy Charley stopped in today & we had a good visit. Brought over a few packages of beef from his farm & some venison/bacon sausage...good trade for me taking on chores again next week when he goes up bear hunting. :thumbup:

Doc took him off chemo & switched him to to hospice/morphine..Chuck says regardless of how he feels he might as well go up hunting once more if/while he can.
Wow he seems like such a good man. Sometimes God takes the sinners and saints early. There are a lot of things he can do outside what his oncologists will recommend. If you understand how the medical system works, that becomes clear. One of the latest breakthroughs which has helped a lot of people with Stage 4 is fenbendazole, whihc like ivermectin is an anti-parasitic. There's a FB page about it. To learn more about the way the system works check out cancerpatientfreedom.com

And if it's just too late, God Bless Charlie.

Since one of our apprentices quit ( managed to get his girlfriend pregnant.......33 years old and can't figure out how to use a condom!!!) we are looking for another one.
Were supposed to do our sneaky little climbing test on one today, but Richard met him yeasterday and told him to take a hike.
He said the only visible part of the guy that wasn't tattooed was the tip of his nose, and knowing how I feel about that, no need to waste time on him.

Since one of our apprentices quit ( managed to get his girlfriend pregnant.......33 years old and can't figure out how to use a condom!!!) we are looking for another one.
What's with all your apprentices getting preggers? This seems like it's happened several times recently...

Nope, Anna was not my apprentice, she was apprenticed to another company.
They wanted to give her a chance to experience hard core logging, so I took her out for 3 weeks.
She was the most natural faller, I've ever come across.
Still makes me smile when I think of it.

Back