How'd it go today?

In this particular case we had another saw to help out. We had to remove the power head from the bound up saw / chain and bar to get it out of harms way before engaging. I was just pissed off about having to spend the time doing work that was preventable with a bit more thought beforehand. We talked it through but the execution was bad. Nobody got hurt and that's the important part.

... I was just pissed off about having to spend the time doing work that was preventable with a bit more thought beforehand...
Yep, life with skills dealing with a problem in front of you, dealing with people saying "I though..." ( really, "I was hoping...").

I'd rather think me way around laboring, than labor my way around thinking.

Cleaning up some tornado damage once in my younger days, early 1970's, I left work with 4 saws pinched and tied into a big burr oak. Came back the next with the smallest saw I had and made about a 6 inch cut and they all popped loose like christmas tree ornaments. Think that was the cut I should have started with. I tied a rope to most trees I was dropping over my 50 years of tree work as most were in residential settings and there was usually one direction that I did not want it to go. Having both ends tied solid and a worker pulling in the middle or a fair size log propped up and secured to the middle of the rope usually gave enough persuasion to prevent pinching. IF it did, just a little extra pull on the anchor rope and it will loosen right up. For logs on the ground, as Burnham says a little experience goes a long way. Also a back up saw.

I hardly ever get pinched in the bigger cuts.
What gets me is bucking the hardwood tops into 15 foot lengths, to be forwarded for chipping.
We basically walk through the mess every 15 feet and cut everything.
That thin stuff, all tangled up, can be near impossible to read for bind.

But even with that I can usually go for 3 days or so, without having to fetch an extra saw to cut the first one loose.

What does it mean to "purge" a pigeon?

Well, kinda like a crawdad or a fresh water clam.

You catch em and feed them clean food for a while before you eat them.

Country pigeons are probably okay....although they do fancy eating food thats already been digested once.

As Dave mentions....it is however difficult to purge a dead one.

We used to shoot wood pigeons (not the city type) then debreast them and fry them in a pan.

Not much on the rest of them to warrant the prep required to removed the feathers and roast.

Had to set property corners and asbuilt stormwater management on a house job far away from the office. Sticky, humid, and I got rained on, but it wasn't obnoxiously hot. Scored a few ERC logs at the RoW by the road. The line guys cut them I guess. They're 'super' firewood length. Longest might be 30", and 14" dia. One is full of stubs, and that might be an inside house decoration. Not sure what I'll do with the others. I'll have to give it some thought. ERC is my favorite wood. I'd love to get a giant to work with, but I haven't seen any I could take so far.

I spent the last five days at our family farm and it WAS obnoxiously hot. It was bad enough that my grandson got nauseous and got a pounding headache and I had to get him to go sit in the truck with the AC rather than go out in the boat with me to spray lily pads in the pond. In summertime by 11:00 a.m. it's pretty much a butt kicking heat down there. Sometimes a thunderstorm will come in and cool it off but then the humidity kicks up bad so it's kind of a toss up. I did manage to rig some shade in the boat for my work. 20210701_132108.jpg 20210701_132039.jpg 20210630_180337.jpg 20210630_142647.jpg 20210701_162046.jpg

Good eye. Fresh yellow squash from my cousin's garden that AM...it just showed up on the front porch, still had dirt on it. A lot of onion, butter, salt, pepper and squash...no bacon in it. If I had some bacon grease I would have used it...butter did just fine. Fried up, it made a great dish.

The first day there, Monday, fresh corn showed up by the front door...went great with leftover Firehouse sub sandwich. Next day squash appeared. Later that day I went to visit some cousins I had not seen for about 2 years (Covid madness)...Sue gave me a bag of tomatoes and a watermelon. Nice folks down there. farm veggies show up  (1).jpg farm veggies show up  (2).jpg farm veggies show up  (3).jpg farm veggies show up  (4).jpg

An uptade with the little horse.
I had to work with her around the following days. I did saw the HO, but despite the promize to move her away, she was still in the field. One, I don't know how to handle a horse, even a small one. Two, I allways saw her wandering freely in this pasture and I have no idea how she would respond being tied.
So, to mitigate the risks, I picked up all the ash's leaves and the small green limbs in the danger zone and piled them in a stack a few meters away. It seems that she greatly apreciated the (disguised) favor. She surprized me a few times, but she was fixed for long periodes at the "restaurant".
Again, no reaction to the chainsaw, the falling limbs and logs. Impassive. Just eat !
At least, when I layed down the bigest remaining trunk (at the oposite direction of her), she felt concerned and ran away. That made my day !:evil:

Back