How'd it go today?

IMG_20210210_144035.jpg

My work pictures kinda suck. A piece of concrete with some scratches, and looks like it was graffitied by a retard :^D Laid out anchor bolts for an abutment, and did piles on the other one. I mentioned forgetting my calculator yesterday; good thing. Boss made plans to go to the city to work on that building, and I wouldn't have been there if my calc was with me. I was a little irritated, but it all worked out, and everything got done.

My socks are the bee's knees. Soft and cushiony. Much better than my threadbare socks. Got home, and moved some of my locust to the porch for next year. Was hot as hell when I finished. Still have a bunch more to move, but I'll get it eventually.

edit:
Oh, and my ShoeGoo repair worked. Dirty, wet, short cure time? No problem! ShoeGoo's got you covered!

Last edited:
We keep carbide chains on the saws we have on our firetrucks for cutting through roofs (we even have 2 of the Stihl 461 rescue models). That said, I've only seen one be worth anything after hitting 2 nails in a roof in drills. Our local dealer charges 2x normal to sharpen them, but at least keeps it normal priced for us clowny firemen...
I can gut a house regardless of material with a chainsaw powered circular saw aka hotsaw in no time. The carbide demo blades that they make for those are insane! Run them wet and cut anything!

Got a large declining wild cherry down this afternoon. Also got my left side covered in oil because some people aren’t smart enough to figure out stihls flippy caps. I’m the dumb ass that hasn’t figured out I should check every time some one else hands me a saw. Going back for a dead oak tomorrow. Still don’t know how the trees are getting out of there but that’s not mine to deal with. I just got to get them down

Broke a fence board today, wrecking a nasty maple. Branch buckled badly.

I cleaned up a blown off lead on this previously topped maple from a storm a little while back.
Came back to finish it off.

Found one long central, regrowth leader was wedged on the crotch, but fully broken free, and gently leaning on some of the rest of the leaders, about 50' of it.

Alternamats and Alternalinks make a good roadway up and down a hill, maybe 20 trips, almost no sign of anything.

Mini-fed 95% of the chipping. 20210210_164026.jpg

Looks like late spring there, but France is farther north than the much of USA right? It's still dead winter here. Interesting how that works.

Found out last summer that we can’t use the black Alturnamats here (all of ours are white). Gets too hot in the summer - helped an arb outfit that have the black ones and lifting them at the end of the day - they left Alturnamat-sized, crispy burnt grass patches across the lawn. The white ones stay cooler.

Looks like I'm home today. Got some snow last night, so I left the house late. Stopped at wawa for breakfast, and before I took off, I figured I'd call the client to make sure they're working. They're working, but apparently not quite ready for me, so I'm going tomorrow.

Kind of screws up my plans. It's not a huge deal, but I have groceries to get, and need to pickup a valentine day gift for my mother. Maybe I'll go today. I have to plan everything around other people, meaning I don't feel like dealing with them. Snow on the road means everyone's driving like idiots, and if I go somewhere later in the day, it means there's too many people around. I wish I lived in this area around 1950. Those were the good old days. Waaaay fewer people...

Sean, Ive never use the alterna links, you like em, eh?

Success! I went to aldi, harborfreight, thrift shop, and Wockenfuss chocolate. Hardly anyone around. Got in, got out, no hassle. Picked up some insulated latex coated gloves, and got WorkingHands cream. Hard to say how well the cream works yet, but I like the feel. It's like handling something that was excessively waxed, and it left some on your hands. You can feel it, but it's not too annoying.

I still have wegmans to go to, but I'm gonna try to hit them Saturday. I was really close to it, but I like their sushi for breakfast. It's become a tradition at this point, so I prefer hitting them on a weekend morning.

edit:
Oh, I was also informed I was "scary" by a woman at the thrift shop. Good! People can stay the frig away from me :^D I had my shemagh, and wearing my normal work attire of BDUs, combat boots, and filson vest.

edit2:
Been getting downy woodpeckers at my suet cake feeder. Better than squirrels. I'm happy to see it used for it's intended purpose.

edit3:
They had a Stihl 2stroke hedge trimmer at the thrift shop; $65. That's something I'd have some use for, but didn't feel like doing a thorough inspection. I've made it this far without one, but if it worked. it was a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Sean, Ive never use the alterna links, you like em, eh?
Twice now I've been able to go up and down hills with ease that otherwise the mats would have slid.

With a skid steer, it's likely more important for turns.

I pulled 3 AL-connected sections( 24' of 4' wide ) up the hill, next to the trailer, rather than pull them by hand.

Nice idea, pulling the whole lot of them uphill.

Do you use double cleated or one side smooth? We have both but the majority is one side smooth

Day started off bad but I went out and did my thang. Job was miserable but “embrace the suck”. Now we’re three guys that kicked ass in shitty conditions and can look down upon the ones that went home early today. The just “put on the ground” job turned into “let’s get it done”. Only wood to get out tomorrow plus a bit of raking. I swapped a one cut removal with the neighbor for use of the yard to get wood out. Easy Friday I hope.

I got run over by a log today, but fortunately it was the same leg that got a smashed knee a couple weeks ago, so I can do all my limping on one side. :lol: I was helping a friend cut a few chunks of wood for his boiler and a 24"x12' ash log slide off the pile into my thigh. I was stuck in 2' of snow, couldn't move fast enough. Friend has a busted foot, so we were both gimping around to start with. I may pull a groundhog move and just hibernate until spring.:/:

Back