How'd it go today?

Edit... I just needed to be patient...Any pictures of the V-Swing itself? Good picture of the fire.

Stephen, carbide chain is new to me. Where do you get such an animal?

I was actually suprised to get a face in it. Certainly a barber chair candidate.
Seems I never took my carbide chain off this week. Every tree full of metal. This one was no exception.
What kind of carbide chain do you use? How well does it hold up through metal?

I've always wanted to try a 36" $400 loop of the best carbide chain made that should in theory cut 10 metal light poles down without dulling.

Still cutting and missing at least one tooth.
I bought some on line since our saw shops would have to order it in and charge me extra. Sometimes th he middle man needs a bypass.
100.00 for my 32 bar. I still have to look into who sharpens them. Probably the guy Rob sends his mill blades too for new carbide teeth.
Wont bore cut for shat IMO. full comp.
Ill look up the purchase this week since I will be needing another.

Here's a video where a guy tests a few chains. It's sort of interesting, but the tests aren't great imo. Why I'm posting it though is for the carbide chain. It didn't hold up as well I thought it should...

image.jpg
I crawled under a rock. I had a friend catch corona and ask if I could help at her soup kitchen. I started going every Sunday and never stopped. Lost my aunt in Italy to Corona and now I'm trying to figure out how and when we can get my father-in-law out of Italy to come and live with us. Still climbing though. Wearing my Xtra tufs when on the ground. My God it's wet!

So far, so good. Boss had to return a post pounder, so I took advantage of the time to get a small pile of ash while everything's frozen...

IMG_20210208_073437.jpg

I'll load it back in the truck when the day's over.

I tried carbide chain awhile back, for me it was shat

Still cutting and missing at least one tooth.
I bought some on line since our saw shops would have to order it in and charge me extra. Sometimes th he middle man needs a bypass.
100.00 for my 32 bar. I still have to look into who sharpens them. Probably the guy Rob sends his mill blades too for new carbide teeth.
Wont bore cut for shat IMO. full comp.
Ill look up the purchase this week since I will be needing another.
The stuff I want to try is around $400 without the middle man, maybe a lot more now that I look at it again.

I'd want the full house stuff "Cobra" but in 3/8 "Sabertooth" because full house matches the TPI and blade speed of a carbide steel cutting saw. I'd also like to experiment with the regular Sabertooth because 36" of full house chain would be super slow, not that a carbide metal saw isn't slow anyway cutting 3" of metal.

According to my comparison below, the full house chain should be able to cut through lots and lots of solid steel since its properties that gauge cutting aggressiveness match.
For metal cutting, 14" cold cut saw (one blade = 20 abrasive wheels)
tooth speed: 75-100ft/s
TPI for steel: 1.5-1.65

Chainsaw 3/8 chain speed 7t rim: 96ft/s @ 13,160rpm, 69ft/s @ 9500rpm
Chainsaw FH 3/8 TPI: 1.5

We keep carbide chains on the saws we have on our firetrucks for cutting through roofs (we even have 2 of the Stihl 461 rescue models). That said, I've only seen one be worth anything after hitting 2 nails in a roof in drills. Our local dealer charges 2x normal to sharpen them, but at least keeps it normal priced for us clowny firemen...

Boring day. Blew a seam out on my other boot. Same seam as the one I ShowGooed on the other side. That worked so well I'm trying it again, this time adding wet material to the mix. We'll see...

Left my data collector at work. Pisses me off. I was gonna leave from my house to go to the job tomorrow, and now I have to go to the office first. It's a needless .5hr of driving. I might grab some more ash since the ground should be frozen, and I can drop it off at home on the way to the job. That way it won't be a total waste.

edit:
Just got out some Carhartt wool socks I haven't worn in years. They're almost new. I'm pretty excited. Been wearing my old socks that I've repaired a few times. Figure I should start using some of my good stuff, or I could die and never get a chance to have nice things :^D

I try to maximize all my purchases, and for clothes, I wear what meets minimal standards. That way I don't have a bunch of stuff that's half worn out, and not suitable for the task at hand. Getting tired of cold wet feet though, so it's a good time for good socks. I get them as gifts, or buy them when they're cheap, either at thrift shops or closeout stores. I have more good socks than I know what to do with, but I keep wearing my old ones, and repair as necessary... That's a good thing about expensive socks; They're worth fixing, and it's fairly easy to do. I'm just never exactly sure when they're considered "done"...

Last edited:
The stuff I want to try is around $400 without the middle man, maybe a lot more now that I look at it again.

I'd want the full house stuff "Cobra" but in 3/8 "Sabertooth" because full house matches the TPI and blade speed of a carbide steel cutting saw. I'd also like to experiment with the regular Sabertooth because 36" of full house chain would be super slow, not that a carbide metal saw isn't slow anyway cutting 3" of metal.

According to my comparison below, the full house chain should be able to cut through lots and lots of solid steel since its properties that gauge cutting aggressiveness match.
For metal cutting, 14" cold cut saw (one blade = 20 abrasive wheels)
tooth speed: 75-100ft/s
TPI for steel: 1.5-1.65

Chainsaw 3/8 chain speed 7t rim: 96ft/s @ 13,160rpm, 69ft/s @ 9500rpm
Chainsaw FH 3/8 TPI: 1.5
This is the seller on Ebay. I can honestly say I was not entirely unhappy. Still waiting to hear from Rob if his guy will be able to sharpen or braze a new tooth on. I figure I can just eliminate the offensive tooth and add a link. Its a fug it anyway chain. Pays for itself as I charge extra for cutting metal filled stumps. Just got two more on my list of things to do and then grind the stumps. So I bought another 105 DL chain tonight for that party.
Probably Chinese. Don't care. Better than buggering a nice Stihl chain.

Stephen, do you use a metal detector or some other method to identify metal filled stumps, of just up the cost afterwards when one turns out to be such?

Stephen, do you use a metal detector or some other method to identify metal filled stumps, of just up the cost afterwards when one turns out to be such?
Yes, we have a wand we also use for the mill. I have eyes and a feel for it as well. Yard trees are always suspect, and anything on a property line.
You can often see reaction wood in lines where a fence would be.
These were pretty obvious this week.
Pieces of wire protruding, things nailed to them, in line with old fence lines that were still apparent just yards away. Swings, signs..... tell tales.

Ah pin oaks!! and tons of dead wood. One very large one a few blocks from me needed Deadwooding along with a dead leader over the roof. The elderly widow there was on a limited income. I offered to clean up her tree. Started by lowering the dead leader out, then silly me I went to the top and started working my way down. By the time I got halfway down the tree I was able to walk around on the solid floor of branches I had tossed down which had almost all hung up.

Back